imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391339 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline SilverLining

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #285 on: October 30, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
I have asked people to show me their medical licence.  I have also informed people that practicing medicine without a licence is against the law.  (No...of course I was not planning to have them arrested.  I just end wanted them to shut up.)

These things are not advisable if you would like to remain on friendly terms with people.

jschwab

« Reply #286 on: October 30, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »
Yeah, I am too nice to actually bark at people. I was surprised because it was a page specifically devoted to adults with food anaphylaxis. I mean, gosh, if I had known all I had to do was down some kombucha and take some probiotics. I feel so silly now!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #287 on: October 30, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »
I've heard the leaky gut thing before as well.  I also heard from a counselor that I went to when I was having non-allergy related anxiety issues that my food allergies were caused by a disconnect between my left brain and my right brain, and if I reconnected them, I could be allergy free.

Didn't go back to that counselor.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
Sounds like someone needed to reconnect at least ONE part of the brain, anyway...

:dunce:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #289 on: October 30, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
I've heard the leaky gut thing before as well.  I also heard from a counselor that I went to when I was having non-allergy related anxiety issues that my food allergies were caused by a disconnect between my left brain and my right brain, and if I reconnected them, I could be allergy free.

Didn't go back to that counselor.

Wow. I am a pretty open person to alternative healing strategies but, oh, wow. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #290 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:51 AM »
I don't know where else to post this, so it's going here.

Earlier this week, I. Was flipping through stations and on one of the news stations they had some health guru type telling people to it chocolate with peanuts and nuts because they are healthy.  I wanted to pay closer attention but got interrupted.  I'm not positive, but I think it was CP24.

Then, this morning, on CP24 there's a reporter at EMS headquarters where police and other EMS employees are giving safety rules (e.g. have kids eat before T&T so they don't eat the candy without mom checking it; make sure drivers can see them; etc.). But one woman talked about giving out peanut-free treats, and showed some, showing the PF symbol.

Anyway, found it interesting.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #291 on: October 31, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
This is a classic difference-of-perspective moment.

DD has been getting CRAZY amounts of mail from top-tier colleges. 

So a postcard comes on Monday--

Every day is a rolling Smorgasbord

{blink-blink}

this thing... I do not think it means... what YOU think it means... at least not to THIS prospective student.

LOL.  :rofl:

I'm pretty sure that the intention was "Wow.... soooooo coooooooool... how FUN!"

But what my DD experienced was more like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfthzU3V4zo

Right.  Well, that's okay, honey-- they offer no merit aid and want 50K a year.   ;)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2013, 02:48:58 PM »
Verrry interesting phone call I finished with my insurance company. My visit to the allergist had been flagged as a possible 3rd party liability because it was filed under allergy. I was asked point blank if someone gave me something that caused an allergic reaction. I may take a risk to call back sometime to inquire if they would support our directives to school to perform strict avoidance.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:05:40 PM by twinturbo »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2013, 03:56:07 PM »
WOW!!

TT, was this appointment specifically due to a reaction?

As for the school....if the insurance deemed a charge third party because a reaction was caused and avoidable, would the insurance company fight them for the money, or would you have to? (I don't know how your insurance carriers work.)

twinturbo

« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »
The insurance company only knew it was for allergy, not what type of appointment. I explained it was for establishment purposes. The line of questioning was to see if there was some other entity that would responsible like work related or medical facility giving me the wrong med. They definitely were looking into it to see if someone else was responsible for it. I've never had this happen for any of the family's appointments before.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Well, if insurance companies start sue ing schools for causing medical expenses through birthday party food, maybe principals will finally grow some kahuna's and say NO FOOD.

twinturbo

« Reply #296 on: October 31, 2013, 11:56:06 PM »
I keep DS1 home today-not hard he's sick. He stays behind DH in doorway to not get near candy bags. He eats his safe candy not mixed in with other candy. Big ugly hive pops up during bath time. 1.5 hours since Benadryl and counting. I try not to despise Halloween but it's getting harder every year.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #297 on: November 01, 2013, 07:01:14 AM »
Could be viral, TT, but certainly given the timing it's suspicious.

DS has an almond challenge scheduled for 12/16 at Mr. Sinai.  I'll create a separate thread when it gets closer.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
Just overheard while on line @ JFK's Jet blue terminal - a father talking to his son while picking  out an inflight snack:  "be careful, a lot of those chips contain PN oil".

And then at checkout, "daddy look!  They have Sun Cups!"

And bless Jet Blues heArt, they do.  :heart:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #299 on: November 01, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
GN that is so cool.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts