FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384953 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

jschwab

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #330 on: November 07, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »
Right, this IS a GPS device that when GPS fails due to an obstruction such as a tree it then resorts to cell ID. Per eTrak the GPS device and service provider this is a GPS satellite issue in signal obstruction of any GPS device. Garmin, etc., any brand same problem: signal obstruction between device and satellite.

The plan for a lost party in the woods or injured would work for a lost or injured party--not an anaphylaxing one. It does nothing to address the issues of immediacy and precise location as I related to said devices and services. Hope that clears it up.

I completely get that. And it's not completely true that it's a situation unique to anaphylaxis. If you were a hiker having a serious heart attack or you were bleeding out from a bear mauling, it's the same situation. Flares and hope and a detailed plan + GPS with a good emergency contact who is available are your best friends, and you won't really have any others. I'm not trying to throw you a curveball or throw a damper on your plans, but that is just an inherent part of being in the woods and other remote areas. There are not many ways of even minimizing the risk in case of a catastrophe, let alone zeroing it out.

twinturbo

« Reply #331 on: November 07, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
Yes, we are agreeing. Both then and now. The message I hope I'm conveying is that I mapped out what really happens with the devices and services as opposed to the marketing promises. Reality and brochure don't match up. Caveat emptor. FWIW, I will plainly say I 100% believe there are accidents that need attention and that they happen to hunters. But with respect to the main focus of the FA board I've admittedly tightened the scope to FA.

For what the devices and services truly are they offer some great advantages as long as one understands their limits. I bought a REACH membership and I've been using the GPS Essentials device with general satisfaction. It took a while to sort out exactly what it will and will not do, and who to go for service questions. eTrak will send you to MedicAlert. MedicAlert will send you to eTrak.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:35:17 PM by twinturbo »

jschwab

« Reply #332 on: November 07, 2013, 11:41:02 PM »
Yes, we are agreeing. Both then and now. The message I hope I'm conveying is that I mapped out what really happens with the devices and services as opposed to the marketing promises. Reality and brochure don't map up. Caveat emptor.

Ah, ok, I had the sense you were still looking for that elusive fail safe solution. It's tough. It's a stressor even with healthy people to walk into that unknown of "what if?". Last year my husband had a really bad kidney stone attack half mile into the AT. That was the longest half mile of my life. It was so short but with someone who can barely walk and looks like they are dying, it puts on the gray hairs. And it made me more cautious and aware of the actual risk of being even a little bit away from people who can help. I still think you should do it, though, with thorough preparation. I'll be going up in the woods soon stressed to the max about this new allergy. Can't help it, though.

twinturbo

« Reply #333 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
WRT to going in the woods use some serious tick prevention. DEET freaks my world but those **** Lone Star ticks and alpha-gal. They were historically in the SE but they've made their way WAY far north. You may know about them already (the alpha-gal) but that seems to be on the rise.

Good hunting to you. If I had more time I'd go myself. I'll hit you up with some chat about it sometime in OT.

jschwab

« Reply #334 on: November 08, 2013, 12:02:58 AM »
WRT to going in the woods use some serious tick prevention. DEET freaks my world but those **** Lone Star ticks and alpha-gal. They were historically in the SE but they've made their way WAY far north. You may know about them already (the alpha-gal) but that seems to be on the rise.

Good hunting to you. If I had more time I'd go myself. I'll hit you up with some chat about it sometime in OT.

Yes, contact me - we're new to hunting but it's become a family lifestyle. One of those non-food centric hobbies we've picked up (even though it's technically about food lol). You're not supposed to bring food with you in the field, so it's ideal  :). I had Lyme last year but I don't think Lone Star and Alpha gal are up here yet, but I will check into it. We have heard good things about soaking clothes in permethrin. Which is the one that makes you allergic to meat? If I get that one, I'm seriously doomed because that's about all we have left.

twinturbo

« Reply #335 on: November 08, 2013, 12:08:29 AM »
Deer = Lyme. Lone Star = alpha-gal. Ain't it grand?

jschwab

« Reply #336 on: November 08, 2013, 12:12:56 AM »
Deer = Lyme. Lone Star = alpha-gal. Ain't it grand?

And that is the meat one? Sigh...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #337 on: November 08, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
Yes, it's the mammalian meat one.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline krasota

« Reply #338 on: November 09, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »
And they've identified more Borellia species than the one carried by deer/black-legged ticks.  Basically, STARI has been kind of "like lyme, but not because it wasn't a deer tick and it's not the same borellia infection" . . .  At least that was the news this summer--I think they've finally confirmed the bacteria in both non-blacklegged ticks and then subsequently in humans.  Or something.

So all the ticks are pretty much horrible nasty things.  Larval/seed ticks are less of a problem than their older selves.

Alpha-gal terrifies me. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #339 on: November 09, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »
As someone who has had Lyme disease, I use DEET exclusively for bug purposes in the summers when I work at a camp.  I use the 100% deet, which comes in a small bottle, but that is more because the other kinds generally have some sort of scent that makes me wheeze.

I almost always wear long pants and spray mostly on the clothes.  I wear a mask when I put the spray on so that I don't inhale any of it.  And I always shower it off before bed.  When I was a counselor and went camping, I would leave the bug spray on until I was ready to go to the tent for the night, then wipe quickly with wipes, bag the wipes up and hang (bear country) and then get into the tent for the night.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #340 on: November 12, 2013, 07:56:59 AM »
So I can admit serious transgressions here too.

We have had a good run of traveling sans reactions, until Sunday.

We went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.  I brought DS1's cereal in, ready to order just milk for him but she pointed out the grits would be fine (DS1's fave food) and the bacon would be safe.  Well the grits would have been fine if it wasn't for that stupid blatant warning about wheat contamination.  Itchy face - benadryl on board.

Fast forward to Sunday night when I was stocking up on cookies for DS1 to have in the hotel because the GF selection is much cheaper up here.  Grabbed the sugar wafers and shortbread cookies - DS1 launched into the shortbread cookies and ate three.  Then I saw him reading ingredients.  Yup, egg.  Benadryl again.

Not sure if the dose of Benadryl earlier or the fact that they were baked, but reaction was minimal and could have probably been just waited out. 

And yes, once again he should have been epi'd and wasn't because we were traveling.  Which honestly is the stupidest reason ever. 

It does make me wonder yet again, should I try for baked egg tolerance though.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline krasota

« Reply #341 on: November 12, 2013, 11:47:15 PM »
I hear you, YKW.  I had a reaction last night that I'd have epi'd the kids for in a heartbeat.  But with myself, there's always the thought, "but what if I'm over-reacting?"
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #342 on: November 13, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
I hear ya Krasota, I so hear you.

Ironically, prior to leaving, I got new epi pens and showed the boys the trainer.  And was once again having them practice with it.  I was also talking about that several people mentioned that while they were in fear of the shot that they were generally surprised that it didn't hurt (DS2 might want to grow up to be Dracula but DS1 is in panic in regards to needles which of course has me fearful of what he would do when he actually needs it, kwim?).  Then there is the always do as I say, not as I do aspect.  But I explained that for most people that feeling of doom disappears.  DS1 explained his is not a doom feeling but more like a monster sneaking up behind him and wrestling with him.  And Benadryl doesn't always chase the monster away.  Talk about feeling like a horrible mom then.

But one of the big reasons he didn't get epi'd over the course of Sunday is that DS1 was clear the monster wasn't in the room.  So I decided to base off his intuition, not off the action plan (ingestion = epi).   
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #343 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »
Oh, hey, an e-mail from University of Chicago... this should be goo--

Nope.
Nope nope.
Noooope.
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #344 on: November 13, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
Also, I don't want to be a Reedie, Mommy....

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:35:15 PM by SkyScorcher »
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US