FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384647 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #345 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »
So you're saying that you lack a certain adventuresome spirit, then?   :evil: :coffee:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
Only if part of the financial aid package is a gift certificate for the local E.R.
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »
This seems appropriate here:

Sky, congratulations on making the DEAN'S LIST!  What are you going to do now?

I'm going to Disneyland!

;)  Maybe not the same thing.  Sentiment holds, though...

annnnnd I just realized that my DD is too young to even 'get' the "I'm going to Disneyland" line:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:48:10 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #348 on: November 15, 2013, 06:43:40 AM »
Those commercials aren't what come to my mind.

I think of Casey Anthony.  And a web-site that used to have really hot-headed arguments.  If people continued fighting, or used inappropriate language they would be be banned temporarily.  Everyone referred to it as "going to Disneyland" as in "You need a trip to  Disneyland" or "be careful or you're going to Disneyland".  And if a person was banned temporarily, whenever someone from that IP attempted to access the board, they would go to the home page of Disneyland.

jschwab

« Reply #349 on: November 16, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
I hate always having to stand around with my hands in my pockets instead of helping clean up at events involving food. Or not pitching in to clean up food wrappers at the playground.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: November 16, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
 I hear ya. 

I always try to volunteer with a clear statement about "set up, not clean-up" for food based activities.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: November 16, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »
Okay, why is it that nobody else seems to understand that an "awards" banquet feels like...

well, not like a reward of some sort, anyway.

More like punishment. 

:hiding:

So let's recap.  To attend an "awards" banquet with food allergies one must:

a) explain to the organizers that you'll need some accommodations wrt food.
b) once they've agreed to that, you'll need to either:
    i) speak with caterers extensively and hope for the best (unwise with low threshold or MFA)
    ii) FURTHER explain why you need to know exactly WHAT is being served so that you can...

c) determine how to surreptitiously handle the fact that you won't be eating anything that you didn't bring yourself anyway.

d) Must be non-messy, something easily pulled out of a bag and sufficiently identical as to not make others uncomfortable...  and must be substantial enough that nobody nearby will feel compelled to ask "Is that all you're eating??  Let me find you something that you can eat!"

:disappointed:

I hate events like this.

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2013, 08:04:36 PM »
I had a party in my office when my work (an animal shelter) decided to change from using walnut cat litter to sawdust pellet cat litter.  I can go in the cat rooms now!  :D  (I  :heart: cats!)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

twinturbo

« Reply #353 on: November 16, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Somewhere in there is a roca joke.

jschwab

« Reply #354 on: November 16, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
Okay, why is it that nobody else seems to understand that an "awards" banquet feels like...

well, not like a reward of some sort, anyway.

More like punishment. 

:hiding:

So let's recap.  To attend an "awards" banquet with food allergies one must:

a) explain to the organizers that you'll need some accommodations wrt food.
b) once they've agreed to that, you'll need to either:
    i) speak with caterers extensively and hope for the best (unwise with low threshold or MFA)
    ii) FURTHER explain why you need to know exactly WHAT is being served so that you can...

c) determine how to surreptitiously handle the fact that you won't be eating anything that you didn't bring yourself anyway.

d) Must be non-messy, something easily pulled out of a bag and sufficiently identical as to not make others uncomfortable...  and must be substantial enough that nobody nearby will feel compelled to ask "Is that all you're eating??  Let me find you something that you can eat!"

:disappointed:

I hate events like this.

Do you do go out of your way with this for your daughter's sake? I'm just curious, because we never worry at stuff like that (weddings, etc). Hardly anyone ever notices if we don't eat. We just eat before we go and sit and sip, no big deal. I guess if she is the awardee, it's different, though?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: November 16, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »
Exactly-- when you're the one being awarded stuff, then you kind of have to attend.   :-/

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #356 on: November 16, 2013, 11:21:34 PM »
Exactly-- when you're the one being awarded stuff, then you kind of have to attend.   :-/

Of course, but I don't think anyone would notice if she didn't eat, KWIM? Bringing your own food gets trickier. It's really more about the award, right? Congratulations to her, BTW!

All that considered, it still sucks not to be able to eat at your own party. My husband and I have never had a proper wedding and I always assumed if we ever had a big anniversary party with guests that we would end up serving food we could not eat. That seems kind of weird now, come to think of it, but it would be absolutely impossible to get it safe enough.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
I have been nominated to host a Dr. Who party.  (I've been nominated because I'm the only one who has SPACE tv station.   :)

So, food.

I'm in contact with one of the people.  She is planning to make fish fingers and custard.  I'm OK with her bringing may contain items...but she wants to cook it here.  I don't like that.  So, I'm trying to get a list of ingredients BEFORE she shops.  This is proving difficult.

The other two people I don't know.  They are friends of this guest...she invited them, then told my son.  (Just accept that I'm OK with this.  She's kind of my adopted daughter anyway, lol.). But....I don 'to know if they want to bring food.  I told her they do not have to.  But if they want to....maybe bananas.....or mini oranges.....or apples for a rubbish plate.

~~~

This should all just be fun.  This should not be so stressful.

I HATE ALLERGIES!!!

jschwab

« Reply #358 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
I made dinner to feed an army and then could not eat it because it tasted "funny". Half a bottle of Benadryl later... sigh. I hate this new allergy thing for me where it's in my throat and is intense nausea. And it was an unwelcome reminder that I still do not have a good plan for the Epi.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #359 on: November 21, 2013, 08:12:57 PM »
Jschwab, sorry you weren't able to eat the food.  You've recently developed your allergies?  Or got new ones?  Hopefully you are able to pinpoint the guilty ingredient.

~~~

One of ingredients the person wanted to use, I cannot find safe.

Fortunately she's OK.  I think she's baking something else (cookies or something).  Even if it's may-contain it's not an issue if she cooks it elsewhere.