FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384875 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »
"Eating Nuts is Tied to Lower Risk of Death"

:rofl:

Wow, is THAT ever a doozy of an-- um-- overgeneralization
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
Along those lines, I keep getting suggested FB advertisements in my feed.

Mr. Peanut, various breadmakers advertising whole grain wheat bread, perfume infused jewelry, Glade candles, etc

Today Chiquita banana asked me to like them to learn more about their health benefits  :-/
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

jschwab

« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
Jschwab, sorry you weren't able to eat the food.  You've recently developed your allergies?  Or got new ones?  Hopefully you are able to pinpoint the guilty ingredient.

Thanks. I have two "old" allergens - milk and shellfish - and one brand-new one - almond - so things in my kitchen are just likely still cross-contaminated to a small degree with the new allergen even though my family cleaned like crazy for me. We used it in flour form so it was everywhere. The mystery ingredient was a bottle of fish sauce and also chicken stock my husband made. I have never had a problem with fish sauce but maybe it had some contamination on the bottle since it was around for awhile and was among the things we didn't consider could be contaminated.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »
It could be that you're reacting to the fish sauce since your system is on high alert right now, too.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
At swim practice tonight, DS got a side stitch (he calls them chest cramps).  Coach came over to tell me after practice.  Somehow we got onto the topic of allergies.  She made a comment that at this time of year that shouldn't be a problem, I said he has them year round as well as food allergies.  She asked what foods he was allergic to...so I told her.  She had never heard of anyone being allergic to EGG.

jschwab

« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2013, 11:50:50 PM »
It could be that you're reacting to the fish sauce since your system is on high alert right now, too.

I had that thought, too. I know some people with shellfish allergies can deal with fish sauce and some can't. I *thought* I'd had some since my reaction, but I am not sure. We need to throw out the bottle. It was washed on the outside when my family did the big cleanup. So far, nothing more, knock on wood.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:19 AM »

I had that thought, too. I know some people with shellfish allergies can deal with fish sauce and some can't. I *thought* I'd had some since my reaction, but I am not sure. We need to throw out the bottle. It was washed on the outside when my family did the big cleanup. So far, nothing more, knock on wood.

Did you throw out everything that a cross contaminated measuring spoon could have been dipped into?  Spice, herbs, baking soda. etc

jschwab

« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »

Did you throw out everything that a cross contaminated measuring spoon could have been dipped into?  Spice, herbs, baking soda. etc

Yes, we did. I was pretty crummy for awhile after the reaction and having a lot of skin contact reactions but my mom and my husband were heroic in getting the kitchen and pantry cleaned out. Because you shake the fish sauce from the bottle, we just washed the outside. Maybe a mistake.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
J, I'm betting that in the wake of a massive reaction (to the new allergen) your system just has your shellfish threshold WAY reduced from what you're accustomed to.   :heart:

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
J, I'm betting that in the wake of a massive reaction (to the new allergen) your system just has your shellfish threshold WAY reduced from what you're accustomed to.   :heart:

Maybe? Do you react to fish sauce? You are my shellfish-o-meter now ;D. It's Thai Kitchen.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
??? Well, I really have no idea.  I haven't had anything Thai Kitchen in my house since DD reacted to stuff of theirs that they claimed COULDN'T be peanut-contaminated-- that was almost a decade ago.  On the other hand, that may point to a larger manufacturing issue there, as they handle a LOT of super-potent allergens in dust/powdered form that makes cross contamination a bigger problem even in other product lines.  For reference, the product in question was a coconut milk that was in a separate building from their dry/powder mixing and packaging which is where the peanut powder/dust was. 

I don't react to Better-than-Bouillion, though, and that's cleaned/shared lines, I think.  I do sometimes react to Worcestershire, it just depends on how much and how full my allergy cup is otherwise. 

My threshold fluctuates a bit, so I wouldn't say that my experiences are terribly reliable.   :-/

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
??? Well, I really have no idea.  I haven't had anything Thai Kitchen in my house since DD reacted to stuff of theirs that they claimed COULDN'T be peanut-contaminated-- that was almost a decade ago.  On the other hand, that may point to a larger manufacturing issue there, as they handle a LOT of super-potent allergens in dust/powdered form that makes cross contamination a bigger problem even in other product lines.  For reference, the product in question was a coconut milk that was in a separate building from their dry/powder mixing and packaging which is where the peanut powder/dust was. 

I don't react to Better-than-Bouillion, though, and that's cleaned/shared lines, I think.  I do sometimes react to Worcestershire, it just depends on how much and how full my allergy cup is otherwise. 

My threshold fluctuates a bit, so I wouldn't say that my experiences are terribly reliable.   :-/

I did not even think to call them and asked about shared lines. I will investigate...

twinturbo

« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
I doubt they'll truly know since they are so removed from the actual facility of manufacture. Thai Kitchen is a brand, not a manufacturer so it's more similar to Newman's Own. For fish sauce I'd probably go with Squid brand which is a Thai domestic brand because they are more likely to have a dedicated bottling facility in the way Heinz ketchup is such a huge producer. Those little bottles rebranded there's no way they aren't shared with something. Just IMO.

jschwab

« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
I doubt they'll truly know since they are so removed from the actual facility of manufacture. Thai Kitchen is a brand, not a manufacturer so it's more similar to Newman's Own. For fish sauce I'd probably go with Squid brand which is a Thai domestic brand because they are more likely to have a dedicated bottling facility in the way Heinz ketchup is such a huge producer. Those little bottles rebranded there's no way they aren't shared with something. Just IMO.

Oh, interesting. I am embarrassed to admit that this case of fish sauce expired a few years ago, anyway, so I would not be able to track it down anyway.  :P We bought big case with discount from the coop and then I got shellfish allergy so we stopped using the bottles for a while.

twinturbo

« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
Oh, pish. You're talking to someone from an immigrant household. There's no such thing as an expiration date.