FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 390341 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #390 on: November 26, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
Interesting idea, TT-- yes, I think that such a resource WOULD be very valuable.

I simply have little idea what exists in many of the places that we traveled in the EU and UK-- our plan was basically reliant upon carrying about 14 autoinjectors, with the idea that even if we needed to burn a couple, we'd be fine without replenishing our stock prior to our return flights.  Emergency department and a fistful of documentation from our stateside allergist (who is an experienced international traveler himself) was our "plan."

We did find it useful to think through having reliable cellular and emergency dispatch numbers in each country.   
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #391 on: November 26, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
Definitely. We'd like to take the kids to Europe some day and if both can't go maybe the older one with fewer allergies can first. The idea would be to look before leaping. We've been to Europe a few times but that was before kids and FA. I wouldn't have a clue how we would handle it there besides chef's cards ( ~)right), phones and EAP. England is fairly straightforward but say we want to go to Ireland? Hospitals where? Chemist shop where? Epinephrine supply? Allergists--vetted allergists.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: November 26, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
eragon would know.

:yes:  She lives in the UK, but she and her family have traveled most of the EU on the continent.

We didn't travel much in Ireland-- only Dublin proper.  I have to say that for PA/TNA, Europe was a breeze.  Egg/Milk would be fairly nightmarish with a low threshold, but you can also do advance planning via some of the local fast food options, which is what we did.  DD ate a lot of Mcdonald's, which was (ironically) safe for her there and not-so-much here.

We did not travel with pre-vetted allergists listed.  I didn't really see much point when I stopped and considered it.  I have our allergist's e-mail contact, which I could give to a provider there... and beyond that we were going to be dealing with first responders and ED staff, so our paper documentation (and I kept a backup on a flash drive with my passport and financial info, just in case, you know?) was really key-- it documented the highlights (?) of DD's reaction history, and we also carried with us support meds:

oral steroids
antihistamines
inhaled steroids and short-acting bronchodilators

So we could opt to follow treatment orders from our regular allergist, basically, if we felt we should-- regardless of what an in-country ED physician thought. 

Pharmacy practice is considerably different in Europe-- we would have had little difficulty obtaining steroids if we'd needed a longer course of them, honestly.

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #393 on: November 26, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
When I went last year (to Germany), I took my own food and bought and cooked simple meals for myself. I did not eat in any restaurants - too risky. I went hungry a lot because they lack simple convenience foods like plain potato chips and I did not expect that but I survived it fine. It was easier when I was eating with family in their home and I could look at labels. I speak German fluently so I could ask about allergens, but restaurant eating is outside my comfort zone even here since I have been dinged so often.

One thing to consider is that waitstaff in Europe is often not native to wherever you are so even if you have a chef card and speak the home language fluently, that can present a barrier.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #394 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
Does anyone else get really, really uncomfortable when characters on TV shows have allergic reactions or asthma attacks?

I hate asthma attacks on TV shows.  Probably because I've had some pretty spectacular ones, but they really freak me out.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #395 on: November 27, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »
Great idea TT!

When I went to Finland (to attend a youth conference) I relied on restaurants and supermarkets for food.  I brought plenty of food from home but needed very little of it.  I had chef cards translated into Finnish, although almost everyone spoke very good English.  The allergy awareness and accommodations there were really good, even in quick service restaurants.  I had emergency numbers memorised and in my phone, knew where the hospital was and made sure key people were Epi-trained, but didn't look into local anaphylaxis treatment procedures or availability of epinephrine auto-injectors (I brought six of them with me). 

I never would have thought auto-injectors could be in limited supply in developed countries such as Singapore.  Do they prescribe phials of epinephrine and syringes to those who don't get the auto-injectors?  That would be pretty scary to manage on your own, being able to draw and administer the proper amount during a reaction.

What I would like to (also) see, or have a link to, is in which states can paramedics and first responders (fire fighters, police, etc.) administer epinephrine?  Or which states have ambulances without paramedics, just first responders or EMTs or whatever the case may be.  How does that affect allergy management in those states, should I ever vacation there?  I never really thought about that until my recent reaction whilst on holidays (in America), in the ambulance, wondering if they could administer epinephrine if my initial dose wore off and I needed more.  (Turns out they could, and they had it ready because I was relapsing, thankfully I didn't need it because my vitals were okay, but what if they didn't have the ability to administer it and I needed it?)  At home, all fire fighters are trained paramedics (I wouldn't expect this elsewhere), all fire trucks and rescue vehicles have epinephrine in their 'first aid' kits, and all emergency ambulances come with paramedics.   

I guess I didn't do my homework before vacation, thinking most places (in Canada, America, and northern Europe) would be like home in their first responders and anaphylaxis management.  With so many other things to think about to plan a safe vacation, this one slipped my mind in the pre-planning stages and it worries me.  It's now high on my radar and freaking me out a bit because we love to travel and know very little about differences (if any) in anaphylaxis management in places we visit.  Not to mention, where does one find out this information before a vacation?  It would be great if we had something here to refer to. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

twinturbo

« Reply #396 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
Does anyone else get really, really uncomfortable when characters on TV shows have allergic reactions or asthma attacks?

I hate asthma attacks on TV shows.  Probably because I've had some pretty spectacular ones, but they really freak me out.

I don't like any medical 'humor', or 'humour' to be inclusive, and that's coming from someone with Stifler brain.

jschwab

« Reply #397 on: November 27, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Um, thank you, doctor, for the living will brochure handed to me immediately upon acknowledging my life-threatening food allergies. I know this means you are a good doctor who has their patients' best interests at heart, but I had not been thinking along those lines today  :P.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #398 on: November 27, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
I'm sorry jschwab, but that made me lol. 

jschwab

« Reply #399 on: November 27, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »
It made me laugh, too. Sigh, gallows humor for allergists, I guess.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:48 PM »
Getting your braces off just isn't that exciting when 95% of the stuff that was verboten... is...

er--

still out-of-bounds anyway.

I guess we can MAKE toffee, biscotti, and taffy/caramels. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #401 on: December 02, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
Getting your braces off just isn't that exciting when 95% of the stuff that was verboten... is...

er--

still out-of-bounds anyway.

I guess we can MAKE toffee, biscotti, and taffy/caramels.

I make taffy/caramels with maple syrup. It's easier because it's already liquid and it tastes fantastic.

jschwab

« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
I bought hard boiled eggs and only saw after I cracked them that they were coated in a "natural resin". Is NOTHING unadulterated?

twinturbo

« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Thank goodness FIL lives up the block because DH is en route to Boston. I got nailed by something tonight. He came over for the first hour while the Benadryl and Zyrtec kicked in. At least the kids had a nice distraction with grandpa. *knock on head* Time for a cuppa to combat the sleepies.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:50 PM »
Oh man-- I'm sorry.   :grouphug:

Western U.S.