login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 393361 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

jschwab

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #405 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
Oof, I hope you feel better! Do you know what happened?

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #406 on: December 05, 2013, 07:18:49 AM »
How are you doing now?  That sounds scary.

twinturbo

« Reply #407 on: December 05, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
Ok. Boys are ok. FIL checked in with me this morning. Basically eating white rice and plain chicken until DH gets back. It was probably something in the birch or rose family. That red, burning area around the mouth after I crunched into a chunk of celery maybe in Costco soup. If DH was home I would have been meh about it but the kids, KWIM? I was like hey dad can you come down for an hour? Went over 911 calls (again) with my oldest and pinned his MedicAlert panic button to him.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #408 on: December 05, 2013, 01:42:36 PM »
Glad everyone is OK.  How unnerving and yes, I KWYM.......

Being a mom complicates everything - and we are NOT allowed to be sick, hurt, or out of commission in anyway!   ;)  So good you can count on your FIL.

jschwab

« Reply #409 on: December 05, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »
Scary that you were not able to positively identify it :(. Hope recovery is OK.

I realized going into the courtroom today for jury duty that if I had a reaction, no one would know and I'd be isolated from my stuff so I asked a fellow juror to be aware I have an Epi in my bag. He was so nice about it.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #410 on: December 05, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
DS had a field trip this morning so I went in to check if his teacher wanted my extra epis for the bus ride or did she have the set from the nurse.  Parents were not riding the bus, but could meet them at the auditorium.  She said she had the schools so all was good (I can honestly say DS got the best teacher for him this year, not only does she get allergies, but she gets him also).  She then proceeded to tell me that her niece has allergies (to what I don't know) and recently had a reaction.  The niece's DH had to give her an epi, but apparently administered it more on the front of the thigh not the side.  The needle hit the bone and caused some serious pain and suffering.  Did not sound pleasant at all.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #411 on: December 06, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
There's always one.

One teacher who -- even though he/she supposedly read and signed the 504 -- still offers candy as a reward.

Seriously.

It really is NOT THIS HARD to comprehend:

no food as a manipulative, incentive, or reward.

The 504 does NOT state, "unless you offer a nonfood <bs> second class alternative".

*sigh*

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:19:04 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #412 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:28 AM »
Make it better.  Make it happen.  Make it last.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #413 on: December 07, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
DD went to a play last night with a friend from school and their family.  The friend's brother was in the play.  The mom knew the concessions would not be safe and she gave DD a chocolate bar she bought at Whole Foods that was nut free, dairy free, soy free......basically allergen free.  What a lovely unexpected thing to do for my DD.   :yes:

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #414 on: December 07, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
PC, friends like that are worth their weight in gold.  So happy your DD had that experience.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #415 on: December 08, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
I am needing to relearn how to read a label.

Again, I bought something with a big bold peanut free label.  Got it home, and there is a nut warning.

I am NOT complaining.  For people who are allergic to peanuts but not to nuts this is good.  I still completely avoid both, so, I just need to relearn.

jschwab

« Reply #416 on: December 08, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
I am about five years into my food allergies and my mom just told me yesterday that my brother was allergic to cheese, eggs and orange juice as a kid (outgrew them). She didn't think it mattered to mention it.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #417 on: December 09, 2013, 06:10:33 AM »
jschwab, several years into my younger DS's allergy/asthma nightmare, my aunt casually mentioned to me over lunch that my paternal grandfather had severe asthma and "could only eat mama's cooking" because he got terribly sick whenever he ate anything else, and there was a long list if things he couldn't eat.  When I asked her to define what really sick meant, she didn't know.  Only that he never ate out of the house.  ~)

Who knows WTH that mean in 1930's NYC?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

jschwab

« Reply #418 on: December 09, 2013, 10:00:37 PM »
jschwab, several years into my younger DS's allergy/asthma nightmare, my aunt casually mentioned to me over lunch that my paternal grandfather had severe asthma and "could only eat mama's cooking" because he got terribly sick whenever he ate anything else, and there was a long list if things he couldn't eat.  When I asked her to define what really sick meant, she didn't know.  Only that he never ate out of the house.  ~)

Who knows WTH that mean in 1930's NYC?

Hmm, interesting  ??? ???. I think she thought it didn't matter to mention since it was hives only (no respiratory involvement) and he outgrew it. I will have to revise the whole family history I gave the allergist a couple weeks ago.

Offline krasota

« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Not happy that my carrot allergy has become contact reactive.

Oh, well, at least having a toddler makes this very easy to discover.  And it's only localized, too, which is a good thing.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.