FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391964 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

jschwab

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #420 on: December 14, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
My kids took my mouth turkey calls and used them after we went to a party where they ate all kinds of foreign stuff. I really don't want to be a bad mom and get whiny but, seriously, they go INSIDE the mouth. I am good with germs but I can't deal with the potential contamination. I am sure it's fine but really? Really? They get cut down to size and mold to the mouth in time, so if I can't use them I have to start out all over again with brand new ones.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #421 on: December 17, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »
One of the great things about food allergies is that you make lots of foods that are truly more delicious because they are made from real stuff and from scratch.

One of the not so awesome things is that then, your husband tells all of his friends at work about the delicious things that you make at home for him and then signs up to bring them for the holiday work potluck.  Yes, there is nothing that I would rather do right now then make a huge batch of my homemade 'Mexican' mac and cheese, for which I need to make a seasoned cheese sauce, fresh salsa, and seasoned cooked chicken.  I know it is great.  That is why I sometimes take time to make it for you.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »
I know I've said on here that I love DS's 3rd grade teacher, and some won't agree with food in the classroom, but anyway...

Teacher asked me if there were any safe candy canes.  I said Spangler and told her I had seen them on sale at local grocery store.  So DS's gift from teacher was a book wrapped with a candy cane attached.  Here's the amazing part...

She photocopied the side of the spangler box and attached it to the candy cane!

Love this

twinturbo

« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2013, 10:13:37 AM »
I would take that as an incredible gesture. My oldest's pre-K teacher was one of the extremely few people I actually trusted to cook for him, even over most of our family. She even started carrying his EpiPens like I do, on her all the time to the point she took them home unintentionally a once or twice.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #424 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
Hezz, that IS lovely.

Our allergist's office did that for DD when she was in her first year of allergy shots.  But it always surprises and touches me when someone (even them) gets it so well.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »
Swung through CVS to pick up a new set of Auvi Q's before year end. The person who rang me out said "does this person have any allergies?". My answer was along the lines of "um, yeah, that's why I'm picking those up!"  :insane:   :dunno:

Apparently they were seeking an update on allergy info in the computer for ds and simply wrote "allergies?" on the Rx slip for the Auvi-Q.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »
To give them credit, my first epi script was as much (and probably more) for severe asthma than for allergies.  But that does seem like a pretty ridiculous question.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #427 on: December 21, 2013, 09:22:22 PM »
Our cvs has put bags of peanuts under the counter at the pharmacy. Grrrrr.

Krasota that is not good news about carrots.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #428 on: December 21, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »
Dd has been having a bit of an asthma flare this week.  Ped office suggested coming in for a quick check and things looked good.  This was the first time I met this doc.  I just answered his basic ?s.
He told me I was one of the best educated asthma moms he's met  :) .

In the back of my mind I was congratulating myself for not sharing any of my unorthodox asthma ideas & staying strictly on-topic.    :hiding:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:14:06 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: December 21, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »
 :grouphug:   Links.

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #430 on: December 22, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »
I am a little annoyed with the Publix pharmacy because their system allows for allergens but not incorrectly IMO.  They have DS1's rye allergy marked as grass  :disappointed:  Granted our major concerns with meds tend to be wheat and barley (malt sweeteners) and egg.  But I am still puzzled to how a grass allergy would factor into medication.  Now granted, I have yet to run into a medication that included rye but it's still annoying.

Yes, I have gone up the corporate line with this and been told it is more than sufficient.   :rant:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: December 28, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
Just realized that my DD14 is attending her fourth birthday party ever this afternoon.   :-[

What makes this kind of pitiful and sad?

She's gone to all of those she's been invited to.   :hiding:

In related news, she will be soloing at this one.  But we're still working out whether or not she'll be comfortable with me going all the way home since it's on the other side of town... meaning that she'll be waiting for 20 minutes or more if she texts one of us an SOS.

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #432 on: December 28, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
I have found ingredient changes on THREE previously safe foods today.  Bah.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #433 on: December 29, 2013, 06:49:04 AM »
I am a little annoyed with the Publix pharmacy because their system allows for allergens but not incorrectly IMO.  They have DS1's rye allergy marked as grass  :disappointed:  Granted our major concerns with meds tend to be wheat and barley (malt sweeteners) and egg.  But I am still puzzled to how a grass allergy would factor into medication.  Now granted, I have yet to run into a medication that included rye but it's still annoying.

Yes, I have gone up the corporate line with this and been told it is more than sufficient.   :rant:

So far all the pharmacies I have used have put DD's garlic allergy under parsley oil!  When will they learn, there is no "box" for allergens to fit in?

twinturbo

« Reply #434 on: December 29, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »
That's weird. Why parsley oil at all?