login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 390408 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

twinturbo

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #525 on: March 12, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »
The play equipment and sandbox looked like Monday morning after a weekend frat party if they partied with goldfish, cheese doodles, yogurt, almonds and pistachios.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #526 on: March 12, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »
Don't make me come over there and play Freddy Krueger with the shop vac, people...

on second thought, maybe your kids would like the playground to themselves after I've finished?

:evil:

This is where I explain how long we spent house-hunting in this town for a house with a YARD suitable for a child to play in, isn't it?  Yeah-- the park was a total mess for her.  Unreliable from the get go, and always was.   :disappointed:  All because some people can't stand not to feed their kids continuously.  I mean-- the number of times I wiped down the slide with clorox wipes.... OMG.   :P  Nothing says "Hi!  I'm mentally ill.  What's your name?" quite like following your child around a play structure while you herd and wipe, herd and wipe.   

{shudders}  Sorry.  Total PTSD moment there.  Thus my offer to purge things with the shop vac. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:58:15 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #527 on: March 12, 2014, 05:59:52 PM »
I'm better than I used to be, though.  I used to actively mutter about "purification by fire" and fantasize about having a backpack flame thrower just for occasions like this. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #528 on: March 12, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »
Usually we're able to deal with the occasional accidental spilled snack. This looks more like littering as if they're too lazy to use the picnic area and garbage can they just use the public park like a dump.

I lol'd at the description. So true.

Offline krasota

« Reply #529 on: March 12, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »
Walked onto a play surface yesterday and walked RIGHT BACK OFF.  Why?  Hard boiled egg smashed all over the place and being tracked by feet and hands.

Thank goodness DS didn't really want to play. 

(Climbing tower area at children's zoo within the Philly Zoo.)
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #530 on: March 13, 2014, 06:27:17 AM »
Congrats, Boo!  That is an amazing year for your DS with all the challenges !  Having all ds allergies pretty much ggone, its almost surreal to me that I don't have to worry about all the stuff I used to worry about.  It makes me realize just how much worrying I have done over the past 11 or 12 years! 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline MaryM

« Reply #531 on: March 13, 2014, 06:53:46 AM »
There is a 2nd grader on my block who has an iPhone....my nephew (17) had a very simple phone and never had it on or charged.  He got an iPhone for Christmas and always has it on.  DS getting phone when he goes to middle school.  It will probably be a very basic phone.

It's field trip season.  It stinks to have to check to make sure a nurse will be going on the trip.  If the school cannot get a nurse, then I will be going on the trip so DD can go. 

twinturbo

« Reply #532 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
Daily 3-hour picnics inside the public park sandbox. I capitulate! That's more than I can deal with. Nice to know the same 5-7 families are going to bogart the sandbox for themselves.

Is it petty that it disgusts me? I did grow up in places with icky cockroach populations. Maybe it's different here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:39:26 PM by twinturbo »

Offline starlight

« Reply #533 on: March 14, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
Really don't think you'd want your kids in the sandbox, allergens or not....

http://nypress.com/kids-stay-away-from-sandboxes-doctors-say/

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #534 on: March 14, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »
LOL, yeah.  We have sand underneath our wooden playset --- I'd look out and see a neighbor kid in that sand.  Umm, get outta there, Honey ...... the neighborhood farm cats use that as a litter box.   :hiding: 

When the kids were little we had a sandbox but I kept it covered.  Even so, we replaced the sand on a regular basis. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

twinturbo

« Reply #535 on: March 14, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
Isn't that supposed to be our magical food allergy cure? Filth, parasites and fecal matter?

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #536 on: March 19, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »
Making everything from scratch means we have to clean mountains of dishes... My kitchen sink looked like Mount Everest last night.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

twinturbo

« Reply #537 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
Living with allergens in house means buy a dishwasher with "NUKE" option.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: March 19, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
:rofl:

Also-- means explaining to others why "crowded and chaotic environment + little kids with food-food-food = this is me, wired like a capuchin monkey on speed," so don't take it too personally if I don't seem "relaxed and at-ease" in that setting-- it's not you, it's my food allergies.

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #539 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
Living with allergens in house means buy a dishwasher with "NUKE" option.

I seriously researched one of those after DS2 was diagnosed being allergic to all beans, garlic, mustard, mushroom, peanuts, tree nuts and a few others that I cannot remember.  Because you know it wasn't enough to deal with the kid who was allergic to wheat, rye, barley, oats, rice, corn, eggs, dairy, soy, peanuts and tree nuts.

It may have been because I wanted to implode myself though  :hiding:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA