FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 394224 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #555 on: April 03, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
Pollen count is 2800 at home.  Which means next week is going to be evil (and typically when I get ill from the sheer amount of pollen as it skirts the 10K mark).

Can I convince DH to stay here one more week?

On a side note, I discovered this week that I never want to move to Louisville, Ky which is apparently located on the list of worst spring pollen blooms.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #556 on: April 03, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
No one else will see this as good news, but I know folks here will understand.

Allergic reaction today for me pretty much confirms that yesterday's hives were a result of a full allergy cup and not food allergies getting worse.  Which is nice to know.

Bad news is I have to cross another fruit off my list at least until tree pollen season is over, and I really don't have that many fruits left.  But it could be much worse.  Need to pick up a box of cheap disposable gloves that I can use for food prep in the kitchen.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #557 on: April 04, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »
That is good news, Janelle... (Well, sort of.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #558 on: April 04, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
Janelle, I ate a Mango yesterday and was itchy for hours.  Nope, no more mangoes for a couple of months until pollen levels go down.  :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #559 on: April 04, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »
The weird part is that I had actually eaten some kiwi a few days ago with no problem.  Then just peeled several for DH and DSD, and hives EVERYWHERE.  I didn't prep anything else, and the kiwis were actually from the same clamshell container that I had eaten from days before.

Tonight I'm sorely tempted to drill a hole in my face to relieve the sinus pressure though, so it has to be spring pollen.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #560 on: April 05, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
After many years in little league, I finally checked on a few things at the snack bar.  The hot dogs & rolls are safe & the hot dogs are the only thing cooked on the spinning grill!!!  The manager called the soft pretzel supplier to check on the ingredients.  They are safe too!  The pretzel guy is going to send over a nutritional label.  Made my day!

twinturbo

« Reply #561 on: April 06, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
I need to not go down the what-if road that should DS2 outgrow wheat anaphylaxis what about exercised induced wheat dependent anaphylaxis.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #562 on: April 06, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »
Hasn't been an issue here, fwiw.  Then again, we've never seen ana that was conclusively attributable to anything besides egg, nut, or peanut.    Just possible attribution.

Western U.S.

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #563 on: April 07, 2014, 05:48:38 AM »
The hardest part is discerning what constitutes "exercise", as I've discovered. It's hard enough explaining an allergy, let alone explaining the danger of eating food (milk for me) and doing anything strenuous. It's gotten to the point that my fiancé, ever so kindly, advises that I forgo milk if I plan to do or go anywhere.  :-/

Living with allergies means that large groups of people present challenges that test one's wit and adaptability. While standing in line, I discovered a man noshing on walnuts. Later, as I sat in on a presentation, I began to feel that itchy, burning sensation and quickly left the area. I don't know what caused the problem, but I do know I developed hives over my body.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #564 on: April 09, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
Is it weird that I keep thinking that I need to go back to Wisconsin because I am running out of my safe stash of surimi?

ETA: Right after I posted this, it occurred to me I have a mental list of things to stock up on in different states that I commonly visit because it is the only place that I can get certain safe foods.  Vacationing with food allergies.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:56:09 PM by Janelle205 »

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
This is me, when we go to NJ - those with gluten allergies don't have to pay the arm and the leg that we do in the south.  Not to mention the selection rocks compared to here.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Gray

« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »
This is like a bad joke.

Cr*p

I literally just got done touching base with the allergist telling her dd's been doing great and no rxn since at least Sept.

Of course, tonight, itching tongue and what looked like a hive.

Burying head in sand, hope for full tolerance fading.

Confession - I did skip a dose this week.

:pout:

What timing.  Unbelievable.

DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »
YKW, the funny thing is that none of the things I get from other places are 'specialty' foods - it just happens that they are the only kind that I can have.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »
Gray-- pollen season is nearly upon us all.  We're in full swing here-- VERY high levels of tree pollen for the past 2.5 weeks.

DD is having trouble with most raw fruit again.

:-[

Western U.S.

Offline Gray

« Reply #569 on: April 09, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Gray-- pollen season is nearly upon us all.  We're in full swing here-- VERY high levels of tree pollen for the past 2.5 weeks.

DD is having trouble with most raw fruit again.

:-[

In the past, I don't think her environmental allergens tested particularly high.

I'm thinking that it was probably from not being consistent with the dose, but who knows.

It's just been so long since I'd seen any reaction.  The hope starts to build a bit that it's fully resolved.

Still, things are so much better than they used to be, so I'm thankful for that.

Well, we have our follow-up this summer so it should be interesting to see what any testing looks like.

I'm confident that they will do what is best for dd.

DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.