FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 385420 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline SilverLining

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #585 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
Yeah, I also wonder SL, she has some history of cancelling appearances.  One was in Boston this winter.  Weather was balmed, but every other act on the same tour made it here, no problems.  They were all in NYC the night before.

I'm thinking her "reaction" is likely of the overdose kind.  She is heading for an implosion.  She apparently has been self-medicating to deal with depression, going non-stop, and recently had a flu which she may not have completely recovered from.  It's the antibiotic for the flu being blamed for the allergic reaction. 

And remember, two years ago she went gluten free because of a a gluten and lactose allergy.  She tweeted: “The change in your skin, phyisical and mental health is amazing! U won't go back!”

I don't immediately assume it's an allergic reaction just because she says it is. 

While eliminating an allergen can have positive effects on your skin, physical and mental health...would you follow that with "U won't go back!" ? 

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #586 on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
Well, I have no intention of "going back" to eating shellfish.  :rofl:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #587 on: April 18, 2014, 08:14:29 AM »
You know that you have food allergies when you see this in an e-mail:

Please note: This event will be held in the Museum’s galleries where food is not permitted. Please plan on having dinner prior to your arrival or enjoy a quick bite at one of the Museum’s neighboring restaurants or food carts.

and it makes you feel happy-happy-happy, and you can almost feel the stress melting away as you think...

there's no place like an art museum... there's no place like an art museum.. Ahhhhhhh   :heart:

I used to feel that way about the science museum we just joined.  Until they announced their Block Party complete with food trucks and craft beer.   :rant:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #588 on: April 18, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/showbiz/miley-cyrus-hospitalized/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Miley was suffering from a sinus infection during her tour in N.C. a week ago. She was prescribed the antibiotic Cephalexin which she has now suffered an extreme allergic reaction to," the statement said. "This type of extreme reaction can last from five to 27 days in these types

What type of extreme reaction is that?  Has anyone EVER heard if it?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #589 on: April 18, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
A legitimate reaction to an antibiotic can last a while, actually.

Although, to be fair, at 21 days, this is sounding a lot more like detox from something other than an allergen, if you KWIM.

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #590 on: April 18, 2014, 10:29:14 AM »
I was just thinking how we've seen quite a few different allergists/docs over the years b/c of moving and stuff, but this place has been a constant source of support for us almost from the very start ... and not just for FA, but for asthma and other health issues.

:heart:

Offline starlight

« Reply #591 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:37 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/showbiz/miley-cyrus-hospitalized/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Miley was suffering from a sinus infection during her tour in N.C. a week ago. She was prescribed the antibiotic Cephalexin which she has now suffered an extreme allergic reaction to," the statement said. "This type of extreme reaction can last from five to 27 days in these types

What type of extreme reaction is that?  Has anyone EVER heard if it?

Maybe they're purposely confusing allergic reaction with C.diff? Don't want her fans to know she's got uncontrollable diarrhea?

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #592 on: April 18, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
Drugs have always caused extreme biphasic reactions for me that lasted 4-6 weeks (and beyond if you think about the allergy cup full issues).

My initial thought was wow - she gets 28 days and I am lucky if we can stay the requisite four hours with a food allergy reaction.  But then it dawned on me, oh drug rxn.  BTDT.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #594 on: April 20, 2014, 03:14:51 PM »
I don't know what to make of this one. DS epi-ed himself last night. He broke out with hives, large ugly hives. They erupted very quickly. Instead of coming to one of us he used his epi pen and then came to us with the pen. He hadn't eaten much except candy from his easter basket from MIL. I think it was more likely to be contact from playing out in the grass.  He was out side with dd and FIL then came in and had a couple of pieces of candy and went to the game/room. 10 to 15 mins later he was back covered in hives and holding the pen out to dad. I don't know that the epi was really needed...
Staff at the hospital seemed to think we were negligent in allowing him access to them. He has worn his own pack foryears now. I thought we were just trying to train him well. His dr came to the hospital and told him he used the pen just right and was brave not to be afraid of it BUT that next time he has a reaction his FIRST job is to tell a grown-up.

No mention on FB please.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:18:24 PM by TabiCat »
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

twinturbo

« Reply #595 on: April 20, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
There's no call for docs to Monday morning quarterback this. You know he'll use it in the correct manner he just needs some fine tuning on protocol.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #596 on: April 20, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
Agreed.  The greater risk is always under-utilization, and he did a good job assessing symptoms and using correctly.  How many times do we realize that we're looking for causation when we ought to just be following the procedure and not worrying about HOW, but what.

Good for him!!     :heart:

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #597 on: April 20, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »
Agreed with the others that the hospital staff are being a little bit ridiculous on this.  I am glad that I had a great ER doc the last time I had to Epi - he came in and said: "Congratulations, you saved your life today." 

And as someone who has had mental symptoms during a reaction, it is sometimes really hard to make that call for yourself, and better to err on the side of giving Epi rather than not.  I had one reaction where I was really, really confused up to the point where the "I am going to die" feeling kicked in.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #598 on: April 20, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
I agree with everyone else.  Your son did right and so did you.

How is he today?

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #599 on: April 20, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
VERY hyper ;)
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas