FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 385418 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #615 on: April 24, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »
I had a bad reaction to contrast dye. I felt funny during the procedure. Spacey. But two houris or so afterward I got horrible hives that lasted for days. It probably wasn't the shellfish. From what I've read it was likely the overall huge histamine load.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #616 on: April 24, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »
So I'm going to a meeting. I typically buy a can of progresso soup or something to have instead of the catered lunch but sometimes can eat a few things.  They know about my allergies and I also mentioned them a month ago. They've often gone out of the way to accommodate during cocktail parties, making things PF when DS came.  And there is always a vegetarian option at every single event. It's always that way here. Always. (DS loves this place and neighborhood because they speak vegetarian so fluently).

But I emailed yesterday to let the person coordinating this know I'd be picking something up at the store once there to have tomorrow.

She said they were mindful of my allergies, so I might be able to eat the catered stuff. I ask who was doing lunch and got a reply on my way to the airport.

We are eating this:

Pad Se Eu Chicken -

Pad Woon Sen Chicken-

Chicken Fried Rice

Drunken Noodle

Pad Thai Tofu (no egg)

From an Asian restaurant.

:rofl: 

I had to note. Bless them.  I am sure they tried.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #617 on: April 24, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
OH my.

:misspeak:

I like your plan better and better, I must say.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #618 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
I had a bad reaction to contrast dye. I felt funny during the procedure. Spacey. But two houris or so afterward I got horrible hives that lasted for days. It probably wasn't the shellfish. From what I've read it was likely the overall huge histamine load.

Shellfish problems and iodinated contrast media (“x-ray dye”)
http://asthmaallergieschildren.com/2010/08/04/shellfish-problems-and-iodinated-contrast-media-“x-ray-dye”/
later studies were done that showed no connection between a patient’s shrimp “allergy” and the incidence of contrast reactions

Anyway ... I'm not really worried ... it's just this reliance on "Benadryl" makes me want to use this:

:paddle:

----------

Yeah, regarding your other post, I agree that your own food is probably the safer option!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #619 on: April 24, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »

She tells me not to worry because they have the Benadryl ready.  I couldn't resist ... I mentioned my understanding that Benadryl doesn't stop ana, epi recommended.  She said they used to give epi in those cases, but stopped due to worries of heart issues.  Then she reassured me that they do have a crash cart, but they don't like to talk about that ... Lol, is it wrong that I find this funny in a warped way.

Hmmm ... warm, fuzzy feelings indeed  ...

Is it wrong that I think I'll take my chances rather than risk annoying a doc with a printout of the NIH recommendations?     :misspeak:

A medical facility. That doesn't want to use epi IF WARRANTED because of worries of a possible heart issue.  But, they have and will use a crash cart.

How many things are wrong with this picture?

Any possibility of getting it done elsewhere? 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #620 on: April 24, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »
This does not even qualify as a bump in the road.  It was....well, it was like a slap in the face that pulled me back into reality.

I was doing one of those "what kind of......are you" silly questionnaire things on Facebook.  It was what Stephen. King book are you....I had to do it.   ;D  The first question was what murder weapon are you.....so I went to select balloon (of course).  And I couldn't.  It was a silly little thing....a silly game.  And I couldn't 'to select balloon because THAT balloon is a normal (latex) balloon which really could be a murder weapon to my son.  So... I could not pick it.

Dumb, I know.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #621 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »
A medical facility. That doesn't want to use epi IF WARRANTED because of worries of a possible heart issue.  But, they have and will use a crash cart.

How many things are wrong with this picture?

Any possibility of getting it done elsewhere?

If I was a highly allergic individual (so far - I'm not), I'd probably go elsewhere ... but honestly, they are very good diagnostically regarding this particular issue and that is what I need.

I wish there was a way I could get through to them for others ... but I don't have it in me to try this time.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #622 on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:14 PM »
We all have to pick our battles.

Not sure what you are getting the test done for (not asking if you haven't chosen to share) but I hope everything turns out fine. :)

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #623 on: April 24, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
Not sure what you are getting the test done for (not asking if you haven't chosen to share) but I hope everything turns out fine. :)

Thanks   :heart:.

Things most likely will be fine.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #624 on: April 26, 2014, 07:11:56 AM »
This week was school vacation and I took DD to one restaurant with her brothers, and then yesterday to another with one of her friends. 

Both times she pulled out her chef's card to start speaking with the wait person and I excused myself to the ladies room....la la la.....for a bit, and then returned to find she had done an excellent job herself and the staff were off discussing options with the chef or manager. 

I stayed out of the discussions and only once DD turned to me for advice - it was a bread and sesame concern.  Since sesame was the cause of her last anapylyaxis, I totally understand her hesitation and guided her to make a good choice.  Both meals and service were fantastic!

Continuing to forge ahead to her independence.  We were joking around (sort of, cause it's true) that she needs a Spock Mind Meld with me to get all the stuff out of my brain and into hers!

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #625 on: April 26, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »
DH and I were in a neighboring city without kids this AM. We ended up invited out to lunch by some that could turn into a very important contact for DH. Anyway we went to a type of place we haven't been in years due to DS allergies not just the type or food but also the method of serving. I enjoyed my food A LOT but everywhere I looked all I could think was that a major cross contamination risk. I found it ironic what stands out to me now.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
I hate asthma.

I knew dd had a virus & we stepped up the medicine this morning ... but she had a great day, playing outside with friends, horseback riding ...

then she goes downhill so fast.  Ever since she was a baby ... when she gets like this, she does not want to separate from me.

:-[

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
 :heart: :grouphug: hope she recovers soon
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #628 on: May 03, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »
Thanks   :heart:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »
Oh yikes. I hope tomorrow is a better day for her.