login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391548 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #675 on: August 23, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
Finally got new RAST, SPT, and pnut component tests done for kids.

DS -- confirmed what we already knew:  high numbers to all the high-risk pnut components.  Epinephrine required forever, until there is proven safe cure or treatment he is willing to undertake (his decision).  Most tree nuts were still very high on RAST and SPT . . . strict avoidance of all continues.  Latex allergy numbers WAY down now!  Woot!

DD -- likely will be able to challenge pnut and we expect good outcome.  We won't consume pnut in our home, but this may make life-away-from-home easier and less stressful for her.  Still considered highly allergic / ana to a few treenuts . . . but we hope to cross off some others for at least at-home/isolated consumption. 

Life goes on . . . 504 meetings next week . . . but we're not gonna stress over them . . . these schools seem to be really trying, and somewhat open to education as to LTFA and accommodation / inclusion (even if one school totally tubed it late last year).

~ ~ ~

Trying not to get frustrated as to many insurances dropping Auvi_q.

I'd like to say a couple things to Mylan, maker of Epipen:
#1 -- If you are working behind scenes to get Auvi-Q dropped from coverages as a means of pumping up your own product and bottom line, you are lower than low.
#2 -- If you want to appeal to teens and adults, perhaps consider a rework of the Epipen so that it is not so big and bulky AND does not look like a ____________ .
 (Think middle school boys' minds . . . we've heard it called for years the "Epi-_ _ nis" )

;D

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #676 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:55 AM »
Purplecat glad you avoided that
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #677 on: August 25, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »
So strange that now my daughter's calculus re: risk/benefit and food challenges is influenced by her boyfriend. 

In other words, the hardest allergen to avoid has jumped to the top of the list now, and before she was content to let it ride.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #678 on: August 27, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »
Just putting this peanut component explanation link here, since many of us post about our pnut component levels . . .

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/testguide.action?dc=TS_Peanut_Component_Panel
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #679 on: August 31, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
I know this is my own fault, but it's still aggravating.

I knew I had enough epi-pens.  One expired as school was ending and I replaced it in July. 

I know most people keep more, but ds carries one and has one in the office at school.  I carry one.  Sometimes two, but then one is usually recently expired.

So, I was getting stuff read for school, grab the epi-pen box for school and......it's empty.  After a half hour of hunting I found it.  I had put the spare with my swimming stuff so when I go to the pool I don't take it out of my purse and forget to out it back in my purse.

OK, so now I have the three epi's and I know none are expired, but being the paranoid person I have become, I check them all.  And....one is expired.  How the heck did that happen?

It's a long weekend, so it won't be replaced for a few days.  And, it looks like we have 0 repeats.  Both of us are out of repeats.

:crazy:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
DS:  I'm going to have ginger ale. Ginger ale means flying on an airplane or the hospital. When you are at the hospital ginger ale is the only thing besides water and you get it so you don't have to taste as much as the prednisone. But it's never Canada Dry. It's only Seagram's. Hospital ginger ale comes from the Sea, not Canada.

:rofl:

Yeah--he equates the hospital with being there for anaphylaxis. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #681 on: August 31, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »
Canada Dry is the ONLY ginger ale worth drinking.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #682 on: August 31, 2014, 10:59:52 PM »
Indeed. And the cranberry-ginger-ale that they have around Christmas?    Pure awesome with awesome sauce.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #683 on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
We agree wholeheartedly. It's just funny, because before I started buying ginger ale, I also uses to associate it only with airplanes. So it was funny to hear he did, too. But the fact that he also associated it with the anaphylaxis, the ER, and pred was so funny to me. :)

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #684 on: September 01, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
Older non-FA dd picked out & bought a shirt covered with cupcakes today which made me think of all of you  :) .

Younger dd was just getting over some probably virus thing ... all the sudden, downhill fast with fever  :-[ ... when this kind of thing happens, I always hope it's just back-to-back viruses & not something more serious.  Oh well, she's resting which is probably the best thing for her.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #685 on: September 01, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
Hope she feels better soon!

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #686 on: September 02, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »
Not 100%, but much better today ... my thinking is actually leaning towards (hopefully 24 hr) stomach bug ... older dd also started not feeling well & threw up later last night.   :P

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #687 on: September 02, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
Treatment for PTSD (due to anaphylaxis) starts on Thursday.  Not sure whether to be be hopeful or terrified.   It's going to be a long journey.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #688 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
Treatment for PTSD (due to anaphylaxis) starts on Thursday.  Not sure whether to be be hopeful or terrified.   It's going to be a long journey.

Big  :grouphug:

:heart:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #689 on: September 02, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »

Was there a recent reaction?