login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 392272 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #795 on: September 24, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »
Yes, SO glad that he's okay, Ginger!!

Today, he can't seem to get himself out of bed.  He's exhausted.  The epinephrine really did a number on him.

I wouldn't assume that is an epi hangover-- DD's been that way after every anaphylactic reaction, including a few that we didn't actually know were allergic (we might have assumed illness, or minimized symptoms, that kind of thing)-- so no epi.

Sometimes the aftereffects of anaphylaxis are as telling as anything else.   :disappointed:   

:grouphug:  To you both, Ginger.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #796 on: September 24, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
How scary GP!  So glad he is OK.  DD is always wiped out the next day.  It keeps her close to home and easy to watch.  Does your son have any symptoms today?

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #797 on: September 24, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »
 :grouphug:   :heart:   :smooch:   GP ... how scary ...

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #798 on: September 24, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »
GP, I agree with CM - every time that I have had a severe reaction, I have been completely wiped the next few days.  When I had a reaction when I was teaching preschool, I couldn't go back to work for a few days afterwards - I was pretty sure that I was too exhausted to safely make the half hour commute.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #799 on: September 24, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »
GP, I'm sorry your son went through that. It's always so scary.

Yes, SO glad that he's okay, Ginger!!

Today, he can't seem to get himself out of bed.  He's exhausted.  The epinephrine really did a number on him.

I wouldn't assume that is an epi hangover-- DD's been that way after every anaphylactic reaction, including a few that we didn't actually know were allergic (we might have assumed illness, or minimized symptoms, that kind of thing)-- so no epi.

Sometimes the aftereffects of anaphylaxis are as telling as anything else.   :disappointed:   

:grouphug:  To you both, Ginger.

Anaphylaxis is exhausting.  I'm not a doctor, but it makes complete sense to me that a person would be tired after it. (I always was.) Your body is fighting against what it sees as an invading enemy. When it's an anaphylactic reaction, that is all out war.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #800 on: September 24, 2014, 08:46:16 PM »
Oy GP, how scary.  And yes, I was exhausted after anaphylaxis too. A combo of the body's reaction to an allergen, and the effects of epi  - it's not surprising.

Hope he's feeling better by now.   
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #801 on: September 25, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »
Oh GP!  I'm glad he trusted his gut.  I hope he's better today.

If your insurance covers the AuviQ, it's so much easier to carry two of them than two epis.

I woujd be very interested in knowing the chips if they are sold up here--or anyway, since DS may venture that way for a speech tournament this year--if the issue was peanut rather than dairy.

Wow--I'm sorry he had this.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #802 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:37 AM »
Well, the company president called me and assured me that they make potato chips only, and they make two flavors only.  None of DS's allergens are used at all.  And they do random testing for gluten, peanuts, and tree nuts and always come up negative. 

So.  It seems to eliminate the chips.  I have no idea what caused the reaction.  They served a bunch of cheesy things in the cafeteria that day, and I wonder if he somehow got into some cheese on the table or on a doorknob or something, but he scoffs when I suggest it.  I dunno.  We're just not gonna know, I think. 

He and I were both exhausted yesterday; DS stayed home and slept until 2:30.  The allergic reaction and esp the epinephrine seemed to really take it out of him.  It took over an hour for him to stop feeling (visibly) jittery.  I told him it must be like running a marathon, the way the epinephrine can affect the heart etc.
 Me, I think the fear took it out of me.  I had the phone call in which they told me he'd had a reaction and they used the epi and the ambulance was on the way -- no other info; I heard the sirens as I jumped in the van to race to the school, and had no idea what I'd find when I got there.  Then I had to follow the ambulance, although by then I'd seen him and knew the epi had done its job and he was doing better.

Auvi Q is not covered by our insurance, and at $300 each --- umm, not gonna happen anytime soon.  The school is used to epipens --- the other allergic kids also have epis, so it doesn't seem wise to change it up.  But for him to carry for his own use, yeah, it would be better.  Thankfully he did shove BOTH epis into his jeans pocket today instead of just one.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #803 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »
GP the two times DS has had an ana reaction at school were both after eating. The first time DS disnt use his wipes for his hands and the second time he had gone to the bathroom midway thorough lunch and touched the bathroom door (the one closest to the cafeteria) on the way out and then ate. We can only assume he picked up peanut protein from other surfaces and ingested it. His allergist agreed that's probably what happened, though he said we'll never know for sure.

Yeah--for school we keep epis, too. It's what they're familiar with (though they're teained with Auvi, too now).

Glad your DS took two epis with him! 

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #804 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:24 PM »
GP, I am so glad your DS is ok.   :grouphug:

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #805 on: October 02, 2014, 01:55:04 AM »
This is definitely minor, but...

I HATE it when companies label their alternative food products as 'Allergen Free'.  People can be allergic to pretty much anything.  People can be severely allergic to pretty much anything.  'Allergy friendly' is fine with me.  I understand that I don't exactly have the most common allergens.

Your apple flour is NOT allergen free.  The eight epi-pens in my house say otherwise, thanks.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #806 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:42 AM »
This is definitely minor, but...

I HATE it when companies label their alternative food products as 'Allergen Free'.  People can be allergic to pretty much anything.  People can be severely allergic to pretty much anything.  'Allergy friendly' is fine with me.  I understand that I don't exactly have the most common allergens.

Your apple flour is NOT allergen free.  The eight epi-pens in my house say otherwise, thanks.

I don't think that this is minor at all ... it's a great point.  If somebody new to allergies (with a non-top8) sees & believes that "allergen free" stuff, they could have a rxn.

Would you mind if I copied your quote and put it into this thread?
Food Allergen Labeling: Using "common sense" when assessing safety

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #807 on: October 02, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »
That is absolutely ok with me, links.  Thanks for asking!

I did send an email to the company - will see if I get a response.

I appreciate that Enjoy Life labels their products as 'allergy friendly', since a good portion of them are not at all allergen free to me.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #808 on: October 02, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
Thanks Janelle  :heart:

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #809 on: October 04, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »
I got a response today from the company that I emailed about the 'allergy free' labeling.

Hi Janelle,

Thank you so much for reaching out!

So sorry if we came across as misleading by stating allergen free. We were using the term as it is defined by the FDA, but you are completely right that it is not completely accurate or transparent. We will be referring to our products as “Big-8 allergy friendly” going forward.

Thank you again and all the best!

Really, really surprised and happy about that.