FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 385451 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #840 on: November 08, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »
Last night DD and two friends who are also 15 went out to dinner.  One parent dropped off, another parent picked up later, I stayed home.  It is a restaurant a few towns away that has served DD safe meals occasionally over the last few years.

They had a blast.  DD texted me after she spoke with the manager to share what she ordered, then after she ate (her text:  I'm still alive).  I was concerned but calm.  She came home happy to some safe cupcakes for dessert.  Of course she started to absent mindlessly scratch her arm and I immediately said "why are you scratching"   :misspeak: I couldn't help myself!

I think she's feeling very empowered today. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #841 on: November 08, 2014, 07:36:42 AM »
I love her text. (I'm strange that way.)

My husband can be that way with me sometimes to. I'll scratch and he be all "what's wrong, what did you eat?"

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #842 on: November 08, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »
The weird conversations that happen in our homes.

We are over stocked on some dry goods, to make room, DH dumped stuff out of their boxes into one large container. It's logical and saves room.

Me: did you throw out all those boxes?

DH: Ya. Why?

Me: I can't check the labels now.

DH: you read them when we bought the stuff.

Me: sometimes I miss things, I always double check before I eat.

DH: these are DARE stuff you eat ALL THE TIME.

Me: labels change, I always double check before I eat.

DH: <grumpily grabs a package and looks at it> the ingredients are written on the individual packages.

Me: OK. I'll wear my glasses to eat.

~~~

This is not a vent. This is just a day in the life of.

Edited to add: I think DARE products are all peanut safe. Some have sesame seeds and sesame warnings.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:49:07 AM by SilverLining »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #843 on: November 10, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
You know you've been at this a long time when, in the wake of escalating/destabilizing allergy issues...

you take action using meds that you already have on hand...

and call the allergist only because you lack refills... and that four hour process ends with a four minute phone call in which the allergist approves wholeheartedly of your ad hoc treatment plan, calls in a fresh script, and expresses relief that we're both on the same page about the possibility of a steroid burst if this doesn't work.

"Yeah, good idea, and exactly what I thought you'd say-- so we did that."

"Oh.  Great."

:coolbeans:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #844 on: November 10, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
CM - That is pretty much exactly where I am with my asthma management.  Pulmo gives me a ton of freedom to work things out on my own.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #845 on: November 10, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
Well, technically this has to do with environmental allergies...

Are the sniffles and sore throat being caused by an on coming cold or just fall in New England?  I drove by a house today and had yard envy because they only had 4 trees, tomorrow will be day 4 of leaf clean up.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #846 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
 :)  CM

When I moved and had to switch docs, I think that I experienced some culture shock.  I've now adjusted.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #847 on: November 14, 2014, 07:38:54 AM »
Because DD is babysitting more.....and a family with a young toddler might want to ask her.....

If you are caring for a child you don't feed....I'm reasoning that you have to be very careful of spit up.....what about changing diapers?

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #848 on: November 14, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
Because DD is babysitting more.....and a family with a young toddler might want to ask her.....

If you are caring for a child you don't feed....I'm reasoning that you have to be very careful of spit up.....what about changing diapers?

My rule with ds was anyone feeding him pb must clean up everything that comes out.  But, he was a kid who hated pb and tasting it always lead to projectile vomiting. 

For diaper changes, I would suggest she have rubber gloves to wear. There may be nothing left to cause a reaction. I think in most cases there would be nothing.  But the only way to know would be if she has a reaction.  So, better safe than sorry...wear gloves.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #849 on: November 14, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
Today was an "I hate stupid allergies" kinda day.

I had to take ds out, and rather than come straight home, we went to a mall.  I suddenly hit a point where I HAD to eat.  I thought I was going to pass out.  In fact I told ds what to do if I did.  We were walking past Tim Horton's, and any normal person could just go and buy a doughnut...but not me. I had to keep walking.  There were no stores that sold prepackaged safe food. I wandered around about a half hour before I finally found a Dollar Store.

I know...not major in the grander scheme of things, but it really put a damper on what was a really nice day.

TT

« Reply #850 on: November 17, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
Our turn. In ER with little guy. Stable now. Hives, eye swelling. Did not epi hadn't eaten anything no other symptom going on. I need a prepaid punch card. 

My guess is wheat or barley. I do my best to confine it to one inner corner of the kitchen but something must have migrated.

He's alert if a little ragged for the experience.  He deserves better than hospitals and a world full of invisible fence.   :pout:

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #851 on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
oh NO.  Hope he recovers quickly.  Hope you figure out what caused it.   :grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #852 on: November 17, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
Ugh.  This has been a horrible, very bad, no good kinda week around here.  YOWZA.

:grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #853 on: November 17, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
no kidding
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #854 on: November 17, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
Poor kiddo!  Hope the rest of your stay is uneventful and you can take him home soon.  Hang in there.   :grouphug: