login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391080 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #870 on: November 18, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »
 :happydance:  :crossed:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #871 on: November 18, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
Reminder to self ... when happy, don't forget to actually read things.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:03:01 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline starlight

« Reply #872 on: November 20, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
I am so, so disappointed. Zulily has giant tubs of cherry Mike & Ike's on sale, but they have a peanut warning! Mike & Ike's are usually peanut-free, Just Born (the supplier) is really good about making things peanut-free. Heartbreaking.  :pout:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #873 on: November 20, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
Thank you for posting that.  I always assume Mike & Ike are safe.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #874 on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »
My MIL tried to some shopping for me yesterday with Em.  But apparently she remembered when I mentioned that Macadamia nuts are becoming more prevalent in products.  She saw Pepperidge Farm was on sale but it mentioned just tree nuts - then she noted it was next to a bag of white chocolate chip and macadamia nut cookies so she probably assumed correctly that macadamia nuts were among the tree nuts that could be cross contaminated.

She has determined life was much easier when macadamia nuts were considered exotic.  And that rather than saying just tree nuts, it would be nice if manufacturers listed them out individually.  Which was my major complaint when coconut was added to tree nut contamination because we knew DS1 didn't react to coconut.  (And for those allergic to coconut, I am happy it was listed for you but really wish individual nuts were broken out instead of being under the general label of tree nuts).

I laughed when she said shopping with allergies is hard. Really?  (I will be completely honest that I have not braved treats for beyond Frozen fruit treats from Kelloggs and Oreos)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #875 on: November 20, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »
Walt Disney World has free apple juice and Enjoy Life cookies (or apple slices) for Christmas party guests with special diets and allergies. I danced around the snack location and took photos. :)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #876 on: November 21, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
And you didn't post them?! What? 

;D

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #877 on: November 22, 2014, 02:13:08 PM »
And you didn't post them?! What? 

;D
The photos are on my DSLR with no way to upload them yet... Be patient. I will try to post my yummy (and one not so yummy) Disney food reviews when we get home. Plus a photo of my husband eating a whole tub of Tofutti frozen dessert at Animal Kingdom. (It wasn't safe for me and he didn't want it to melt.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #878 on: December 02, 2014, 06:58:51 AM »
DS had allergy shots yesterday and for the first time I noticed an older gentleman wearing epi pens on his belt (pouch was by epi so had the logo on the outside).  It was a good example for DS.  I wanted to say something to the gentleman, but didn't want to invade his privacy (the office was quite busy) so DS and I discussed it in the car.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #879 on: December 03, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
Yes, we deal with a lot of meds ... when I pull up, the pharmacist gives me a big smile, I am a familiar face ... he usually does not ask for names before getting our meds, only for the formal check they do before handing them to me.  Hmmmmm.

Am so glad one of the asthma meds finally has a counter.  That was a pain having to keep track.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #880 on: December 05, 2014, 07:41:44 AM »
Insurance networks  :-/.

Dd needs to have a small test done.

Unless I take her to a place that I had a bad experience at (not a good idea), or drive 1/2 an hour to a doc that doesn't have great online reviews (yes, I know, not too reliable) .... I am left with exactly one physician to choose from  :P .

The drive is worth it for some stuff, but not for this (to me).

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #881 on: December 07, 2014, 06:27:23 AM »
DD has been invited to another party in two weeks.  She bombarded me with questions from the host about food.....at a really bad time.  I lost it!  Not now!  I need a break from your allergies!  If you don't know the answers, see me tomorrow!   :misspeak:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #882 on: December 09, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
I miss being able to order a sandwich or a wrap--usually for the taste of it buy right now for the convenience of it. I am working my last day at work at a coffee shop. It's past noon. I am really really hungry. The only things I can eat here are oatmeal and cheese sticks. I've already had oatmeal this morning.

There is a Little Ceasars a few doors down. I don't have time to leave to get lunch. So I will go to LC, buy a pizza and eat two pieces and out the rest in my car. It is higher in calories. Blah.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #883 on: December 09, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
I miss the convenience, too.  Nothing convenient about food allergies.   :tongue:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #884 on: December 09, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »
Agreed, I don't think people understand that you just can't be spontaneous with food allergies...there always has to be a plan for food, and then the back up plan, and of course, the back up to the back up.