imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 394684 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #930 on: January 20, 2015, 08:51:59 AM »
Just to be clear, my post above was about chocolate.

We had to add food coloring to our first jar of Sunbutter.  I (truly) couldn't try it otherwise.  It was too, too, too much like the real thing.

DD still doesn't like it. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline starlight

« Reply #931 on: January 20, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Starlight are you thinking it will be easier to try it for the first time as an ingredient and not just out ifnthe jar?

Yep, that was the idea. I highly doubt I'll ever try sunbutter straight out of the jar - the smell of peanuts sends up the red flags and chimes the warning bells, so if the fake stuff smells anything like the real stuff it'll never happen. I'm just looking for a somewhat-healthy non-perishable snack food that isn't on the salty spectrum (just not my thing). I'm a ridiculously picky eater and the only foods I've ever really truly enjoyed have melted gooey cheese, red meat, or loads of refined sugar so it's something I've been trying to find my entire life. Thought there may be a chance this might be it.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #932 on: January 20, 2015, 10:11:28 AM »
I've never liked the smell of PB. Even as a child, I thought PB cookies were such a gross idea. I couldn't inagine why anyone thought they were good.

To me, SB does not smell like PB at all. The smell of PB is abhorrent to me. I love this stuff, though. That's not to say you would, but I wanted to say that at least one person here doesn't equate SB to PB in terms of smell or taste.

Even if we could go back to PB, I never would. I love SB--but have no plans to eat PB again. Ick.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #933 on: January 20, 2015, 10:39:57 AM »
I'm the opposite.  I think sunbutter smells like peanut butter and the taste is very close.  Maybe because I have always eaten natural peanut butter that has to be stirred (skippy and jiff taste fake like shortening and are too sweet to me)  We buy the kind of sunbutter that must be stirred.  I keep it in the fridge so it does not re-separate.  DH does not like it refrigerated.  So yes, we have two jars open at all times - LOL!  I don't have the energy to stir it every day!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #934 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:51 AM »
It took me years to try Sunbutter, and like many above, required the assurance that I could get help from a loved one and/or medical personnel if needed.  It is just too similar to peanut and nut butters.  I think we bought one tub and it lasted over a year.  Oddly enough, we eat a lot of it now (mostly my husband), but we make it from scratch: roasting and grinding safe sunflower seeds.  (I still won't eat anything made with Sunbutter that I didn't make myself.)

Again, you don't need to add it to your diet unless you are trying to fill some nutrition deficiency that sunflower seeds can offer.  Enjoy Life makes other granola bar flavours that taste good too.  Libre Naturals granola bars are better, in my opinion.

Other healthy snack options: 'fudge babies' from chocolatecoveredkatie.com are pretty amazing and healthy too., seed and fruit trail mixes, granola, dried fruit, energy cookies, or even homemade granola bars. 

If you plan on trying those granola bars, make sure you are in a place where you feel safe and have plenty of time, then reward yourself for trying something new.  We are here for you!

Oh, and the answer turned out to be dark chocolate morsels in one batch and semisweet chips in the other.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #935 on: January 23, 2015, 09:22:46 AM »
How much longer until our next Disney vacation?  I need a break from all this allergy drama (danger)...

Today's challenge: trying to keep my office at work nut-free without painting a big target on my door, kwim?  An incident yesterday sent me home for the whole day (loose nuts in my office), and now I have to figure out what steps need to be taken to keep me safe.  But I don't want to paint a vulnerable/fragile target on my head or be a pain in the @$$ to others either.  I have been bullied about my food allergies by a former employee.  Apparently after I leave, my office becomes a through-traffic route for people using the room next door.  This has to stop.  Work is willing to work with me to create a solution, but I just don't know what to do.  Suggestions?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #936 on: January 23, 2015, 09:29:44 AM »
Well, what traffic path is in use when you are there?

That needs to be THE traffic pattern.

If there are multiple entry points into the room, BLOCK the one that you do not want people using.  (Yes, I realize that actually physically doing so may be impossible due to fire regulations, but...  signage ON that door stating "emergency use only, please use main entry/exit" should do the trick-- along with a lock on the ENTRY to the room, but not the exit from it, if the lock can be set that way).

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #937 on: January 23, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
My staff are the only ones using the room whilst I am here, so we move from the office to the classroom and back through our door, as it should be.  The office itself gets locked when I leave, but people using the classroom after hours have keys.  I will see what I can do about signage to reduce traffic.  That's a really good option if I can get it to work.  (If I can get people to abide by the signage...)

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #938 on: January 23, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
A modified version of what I originally posted as requested.

It's been a very good day living with allergies.  I just sent this email to say thank you for a great dining experience.

Good Afternoon!

I want to take this opportunity to thank you and your team for excellent service at XXXXXXXXXX today, January XX, 2015.

I took my daughter to lunch at your restaurant.  It was her first visit, my second.  My daughter has multiple food allergies and eating out is a big treat for her.

As much as food allergies can complicate eating out, so can a major cumin recall.  I have been watching, reading, and trying to stay current on this subject.  This cumin is contaminated with peanut protein.

My daughter carries paper cards with a list of her allergens to give to wait staff.  This is what today's updated one looks like.

(insert chef's card)

Our waitress spoke with my daughter directly and professionally.  My daughter explained what she wanted to have for lunch and our waitress went to speak with the kitchen staff to be sure her choices could be prepared safely.  Her meal was settled and was to include fries and there was confirmation the oil the fries are cooked in is safe.  A very short time later, our waitress returned to tell us a kitchen person told her that veggie burgers are also cooked in the same oil as the fries and they might contain cumin.  My daughter chose a baked potato instead.

I was impressed.  That extra thought, that extra consideration, the attention to details about your menu and how different foods are cooked all appreciated.  My daughter was totally comfortable and happy and stated, "Wow!  They really understand!".

We had a fantastic, very delicious lunch.

Our experience speaks well of your organization, your staff training, and the excellence in the staff you chose to employ.

I don't think enough people speak up when there is a job well done.  I wanted to do so today.

Thank you for a wonderful and safe dining experience!

Now DD is off to a Sweet 16 Sleepover with nut free cupcakes & safe chocolate to share, her gear and her meds.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:24:43 PM by PurpleCat »

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #939 on: January 23, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
 :thumbsup: that is awesome!!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #940 on: January 23, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
 :happydance:  WTG, Purplecat!

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #941 on: January 23, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
What a fantastic story!  It warms the heart every time I hear of places that truly get it.  So happy your DD had a positive experience.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #942 on: January 23, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »
Nice, PC! :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

guess

« Reply #943 on: January 23, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »
PC, I really like that verbiage.  Can you save a version with the personal info redacted?  I'd love to be able to use it as a template. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #944 on: January 23, 2015, 11:47:39 PM »
Wow. That is great. And your email--how easy would it be to just not send it. But you did. It is amazing. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts