login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384886 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #945 on: January 24, 2015, 08:30:02 AM »
PC, I really like that verbiage.  Can you save a version with the personal info redacted?  I'd love to be able to use it as a template.

Sure, when I delete in a few days, I'll leave a modified version.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #946 on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
Beginning to get preliminary overture letters from colleges and universities for DS  . . .   and it's clear he does not want to go away very far.  Part of that is the LTFA, but part is also the closeness of our family.

This is so exciting, but so hard and scary.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #947 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
DD has gotten so many in the last two weeks as well as emails.  We are pretty sure it is because she took the PSAT. 

She is not giving much thought to her allergies at the moment, just looking at where she might be able to go to study what she wants and play softball.  Makes weeding the mail a bit easier!

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #948 on: January 26, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
Dd's tongue itched slightly last night after eating tacos  :-/ ...

I'm going to start writing down these seemingly random episodes and maybe a pattern will emerge over time that Dr-FA-Yoda or I can figure out.  I'm not too worried about it ... just wondering what's up.

:coffee:

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #949 on: January 26, 2015, 08:16:27 AM »
First thing I thought of is "cumin"?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #950 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:39 AM »
First thing I thought of is "cumin"?

Me too.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #951 on: January 26, 2015, 09:17:32 AM »
Storm prep w/FA...important to get to the store before safe brands are gone.  I went Sunday so we are all set.  I should throw an extra loaf of bread in the freezer.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #952 on: January 26, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »
I'm pretty sure given the foods we eat, she's had cumin without problem, but will keep it in mind.

She's had minor symptoms where walnuts were suspect, shrimp was suspect, etc.

Sulfites? , OAS?, histamine? ...  :dunno:

and then there's the low dose of sesame we give her as per our allergist's instructions... but she's been doing great with that .... complicates things a bit though when trying to figure this stuff out.

For now, I guess I'll just write this stuff down (I'm good at that  :P)... I have great confidence in our allergist, so I think that I'll just leave this mess for her to figure out  :P  ...

I don’t want to avoid anything that dd doesn't need to avoid so will just proceed cautiously I guess.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:37:30 AM by LinksEtc »

guess

« Reply #953 on: January 26, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
They mean contaminated cumin currently in the food supply that was subject to the expansive recall list.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #954 on: January 26, 2015, 09:45:28 AM »
They mean contaminated cumin currently in the food supply that was subject to the expansive recall list.

Dd isn't peanut allergic or TN (as far as I know).

guess

« Reply #955 on: January 27, 2015, 12:51:59 PM »
I know this isn't my fault and it's beyond my control but I'm feeling really responsible that I can't get a milk free classroom.  I know from time to time some kids can get a milk free room but not for us and I just can't set this child up in a classroom of what I know will kill him.  They keep offering a peanut free classroom as an option.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #956 on: January 27, 2015, 12:55:34 PM »
That is so frustrating, guess.  People often forget that other allergens can be just as dangerous as peanuts and tree nuts.  Or maybe they just don't know that they can be.  I hope you will be able to find a safe solution. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #957 on: January 27, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
Totally get it-- it's like the restaurant chef that reassures you that they have a lot of "gluten free" selections when you mention your shellfish allergy.

:dunce: :insane: 

I've always thought that restaurants might secretly be doing it just to drive margarita sales, because it sure makes ME want to drink after a couple of iterations.  But I don't think that the school district has a liquor license, so that can't be it.

:grouphug:

We got told the same thing in 2004 re: a peanut-free room, by the way.  Which is how we got where we are now.   :console:  I don't have good advice for you.  Other than the obvious that letting them kill your child to 'see' your perspective is probably not the best path forward.  {sigh} 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

guess

« Reply #958 on: January 27, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
lmbo at last part.  Not funny but funny, KWIM?  That's totally what it would take which defeats the purpose of going in the first place.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #959 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
PC, I really like that verbiage.  Can you save a version with the personal info redacted?  I'd love to be able to use it as a template.

Done.  It's on page 63.