login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 393598 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1170 on: June 04, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »
This may seem obvious ... don't make your child laugh when she is trying to hold her asthma med puff for 10 sec.

:dunce:

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #1171 on: June 04, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
This may seem obvious ... don't make your child laugh when she is trying to hold her asthma med puff for 10 sec.

Well, I guess there is a benefit to my doc's recommendation that I take all of my meds via neb...laughter is allowed. :)

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #1172 on: June 04, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »

Well, I guess there is a benefit to my doc's recommendation that I take all of my meds via neb...laughter is allowed. :)

I'm guessing that in previous studies of neb vs puffer/spacer, laughter as benefit/risk was not adequately considered.   ;D

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #1173 on: June 09, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »
I have been soybeaned.

I don't know what it was, but that is the only thing that makes me this miserable.  Luckily, I never have life threatening issues from soy, just intermittent stomach cramping that will make you wish you were dead.

If this doesn't go away I will have to wake DH up to do baby duty tonight.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #1174 on: June 11, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
Oh my gosh ...

How funny is this?!?

Tweeted by @allyc375 aka "Maelstrom of mayhem"

@DavidGilbert43 Am now comfort eating. pic.twitter.com/aqqkqlxkQF

https://mobile.twitter.com/allyc375/status/609105940315553792/photo/1

-----------------

ETA - seems like the idea was hers so want to credit
http://www.karenandrews.com.au/2014/04/14/monty-python-killer-rabbit-easter-cupcakes/

A different spin 4 our FA cupcake troubles?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:45:16 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #1175 on: June 12, 2015, 05:32:45 PM »
I'm thinking that it may be time to retire my twitter acct ... I think it's served its purpose ... probably won't delete, just leave inactive so I can DM if I need to & read stuff that I find interesting.

My tween discovered it from my phone and is now totally making fun of me & checking in to see if I updated anything. 

Hoping she will get bored before she makes the FAS connection ...

Things have become so complicated with this SM stuff lately.

Glad most of my posts are links.

:coffee:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:47:49 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #1176 on: June 14, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
 :grouphug:

Me, on the other hand-- I led my kid here.   :hiding:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #1177 on: June 14, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
:grouphug:

Me, on the other hand-- I led my kid here.   :hiding:

yk, my younger dd w/ the FA ... I've always been pretty open with her about everything.  In fact, she was sitting next to me the other day, and we tweeted together about 2 things she said & I asked her permission before tweeting her age.  She was thrilled to take part and contribute ... she thought that it was so cool.  I could see her being a member here one day if this place is still here.

The other dd, the tween (no FA) ... a whole different story with that one, there is ... which I can't get into here.

To tell you the truth, I'm pondering retiring "Links" soon also (although not quite yet).

-----

ETA - the nice thing about "Links" for me is that I can easily fall back into strictly "posting links" mode ... nothing too personal ...

I started online b/c of the sesame labeling & now the petition has been filed & others have taken up the cause & are leading the way.

Like I said ... complicated ... transition point.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:55:32 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1178 on: June 17, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »
Bought a case of Minutemaid Lemonade in the can.  We've been using it. 

We are in the middle of nowhere at a softball tournament this past weekend.  Seriously, nowhere, there is a wind turbine, an off brand gas station and 1 dunkin donuts.

DD opens a can....it's a lemonade can from the lemonade can case, filled with some kind of soda!  I'm yelling spit it out, don't swallow!  We don't know what it is.  She's like, well, it's soda.  Probably....but what if you get anaphylaxis?  and I'm also thinking about the tainted Tylenol.  And we are in the middle of nowhere!

Even lemonade is stressful!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:22:23 AM by PurpleCat »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1179 on: June 17, 2015, 07:50:44 AM »
 :o

Did you keep it to report it.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1180 on: June 17, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
No, I thought about that but we were in the middle of a tournament away from home and at that point, I just didn't want her to drink it.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #1181 on: June 26, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
I'm starting to think that when patients are so active in a particular community like FA  ... boundaries just do get crossed/blurred sometimes ... it's not that you mean for it to happen ... things are just different.

Our family deals with a lot of different docs ... most of those relationships are "normal" ... contact docs / make appointment when have medical concern ... don't think too much about those docs or health issues otherwise.  Just normal stuff.

My last 2 relationships with allergists have been anything but normal ... one I strongly disliked ... our current one - I think that I like too much & I find myself wanting to chat like I do at FAS.

My main allergy issues that I'm struggling with don't have much to do w/ dd's medical condition of FA - I'm more confused about boundaries, roles, internet, identity (Links/mom).

I'm thinking that things will eventually settle at a slightly different type of "normal".

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:06:17 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1182 on: July 02, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »
DH bought a candy that we've never had before. They look good. I looked the company up and went straight to the FAQ page.

Under do your candies contain allergens is says this.

We also list all the ingredients that the product may contain or may have been in contact with by using the words “may contain”.

Under are your candies peanut free it says

We use the following symbol to identify all products that do not contain peanuts. Please look for this symbol on the front of the package to enjoy our products safely.
<peanut free symbol shown>

This bag has no "may contain" and has no "peanut free" and does not list peanut as an added ingredient.

So....what does that mean?

I've sent them an e-mail, but....is it just me?

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1183 on: July 02, 2015, 09:00:02 PM »
[sarcasm]Hurray for inconsistent and confusing labels.[/sarcasm] :tongue:

I would ask if they just recently added the peanut free emblem and packaging hasn't caught up, or mention that consistency is required for safety.  Ugh.  Good luck and hope it is safe.

I am battling another company who removed all their cautionary labels.  Nothing they make is safe due to shared lines, and old labels reflected that, but now people think they are safe.  Grrrrr!!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:26:59 AM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1184 on: July 02, 2015, 10:03:38 PM »
I actually have hope that it's safe. Either way, once. I know I'll post so you and others know. :)

My suspicion is....the peanut free label is reserved for foods that they get letters from suppliers and/or test product for peanut protein. 

I've also asked them if sesame seed is one of the allergens they label for "may contain".