Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on

Started by ajasfolks2, February 03, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

spacecanada, I believe that was another member who has family in the region, and had attended a conference in Singapore recently, in fact.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

spacecanada

That is who I was thinking of, yes. I have trouble keeping track of who is who on these boards since I don't know anyone in person.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

hezzier

DS got to pick out cupcakes yesterday at a NUT-FREE bakery!  And it's only 30 minutes from us so we can go again sometime.  I might even splurge on his birthday and get a cake from there...she was on Cake Wars.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

spacecanada

When you see someone post in your small business group that they operate an allergy friendly bakery out of their home, but all your thoughts are highly critical because it doesn't seem possible to make everything she does free from all cross contamination for the allergens she lists free from, considering some of the ingepredients she lists.  I haven't got the nerve to ask her about it. Yet.  I don't want to seem crass or rude, but helpful... Because a truly allergy friendly bakery would be nice.  Though I still would have a hard time trusting it.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

PurpleCat

CMdeux

Mac, hope that you get this one sorted PRONTO.  No bueno.   :grouphug:

Western U.S.

starlight

Quote from: Macabre on November 12, 2015, 07:17:54 AM
I think it was shrimp in my Cobb salad--yesterday. Delayed. GI, very rapid heart rate. Itchy skin.

Sesame crouton contamination maybe? Either way,  :grouphug: :-[

Macabre

I will also add about having allergies at the bottom, it's a matter of safety for others, though we are all of course responsible for checking out the safety of foods ourselves. I can say we use certain products and folks can see what I deal with. For example, we don't deal with TNA, so when I say we use a product, folks here know that it's not because we think it's safe for TNA.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

rebekahc

Mac, I hope you're having no lingering symptoms this weekend from your reactions!  I also hope your meeting goes well on Monday and you're able to narrow down the source(s) so you can be safe at work.  :grouphug:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

CMdeux

Random FA thought for the day:

Catering and student food services aren't necessarily the same staffing or systems-- or prep spaces-- in college and university settings.    Explaining this to others has occasionally proven maddening.  So no-- DD and I will not be trusting that particular catered luncheon, no matter how often they say that they've "checked" on things.  Nope.  No way.    They can be peeved that I won't trust them all they like.  But I don't.   :dunce:

Western U.S.

hezzier

DS's symptoms for egg have always been mild and was having cakes etc no problem so allergist had us start with french toast which was fine so she gave us the go ahead at our last appt to try well cooked scrambled egg...we started with one bite, the next time he had 3 bites, and the other days ate the equivalent of 1/2 an egg.  So the allergist declared him no longer allergic to egg today...she did warn us of that he could still react to raw egg.

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview