login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 385366 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline spacecanada

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1380 on: June 09, 2016, 02:11:10 PM »
That moment when you take a bite of spicy food and panic, wondering if your burning mouth is from the spice or from allergies.  I love spicy foods, and this sense of panic is likely because my last anaphylactic food reaction started with a burning mouth (to mild food).

Also, at the grocery store today I called a major manufacturer to find out that their whole wheat flour is made on shared lines with dairy.  No precautionary label.  I am not allergic to dairy but avoid it due to severe intolerance and eczema. Scary stuff.  A reminder to email or call manufacturers every time you want to buy something new.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1381 on: June 17, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »
Going to the grocery store this week and having to walk buy some long time favorite dependable items like Rolled Gold and Keebler. 

I know, I can look on my phone to see if the individual package is part of the recall, but I am already reading labels and grocery shopping takes long because of that.  I'd like to get in and out before lunchtime!

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #1382 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
DS1 successfully ate a restaurant with none of us in tow.  http://www.bluemoonpizza.com/gluten-free-full-story.html

I did eat with him last time we went, but was unable to go this time.  He was in the company of adults (one who avoids gluten because of IBS, one with Celiac) and successfully advocated for himself.  Friend secretly filmed him speaking with waitress (and both friends had a list of questions/explanations if DS1 failed to ask).

And when his change was returned, he left a hefty tip for waitress and explained to our friend, she deserves it for keeping me safe.  He also told me that he asked to order last, chose a topping that was different from that of his friends so his pizza was easier to identify. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1383 on: June 28, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »
Smart thinking to order last!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1384 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »
That is awesome, YKW. On so many counts!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #1385 on: July 01, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
So we are a month in to eliminating soy (with exception of oil and lecithin) and sunflower (with the exception of oil).  All of Em's issues with random hives, itchy ears, refusal to eat, etc have been eliminated.  Still dealing with temp related hives but that is a different issue.  I find soy is often bolded in ingredient lists but that label includes lecithin and oil, so still having to read through long lists.  Sigh.  I often wish we could move to a house that has a separate kitchen so I could bake safely for Em and DS2 without risking DS1's safety.  Allergist is advsnt about not avoiding foods they are not allergic to for risk of sensitization. 

Oddly enough, I am finding better luck in generic products from Aldi for lack of soy flour.  But we have also had to give up some favorite products that do have soy flour which has led to tears.  It was much easier dealing with adding food allergies to a non cognizant child's list than with Em.  I thought it was bad at 4, it is much worse at 6.  I will say though, she is really good at understanding every label everytime and handling refusal of foods.  But she is rather macabre on her humor and I need to work on that. 

The good, the bad and the ugly of food allergies..

DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1386 on: July 01, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
Wow YKW what a confirmation. I forget--did you get her tested a few weeks ago when you went to the allergist (I think you went very recently)?

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #1387 on: July 02, 2016, 04:58:53 PM »
Yes.  Confirmation came at end of May.  Class 2 for soy and sunflower.  Allergist wanted to eliminate all but oil and lecithin to see if we were on right track.  And it looks to be the case.

Next part of journey is to find a sub for peanut/tree nut/sun/soy butter.  She is good with peanuts but have not found a peanut butter that is tree nut safe.  She misses nut butters.

On a happier note... We are at Cheeseburger Bobbies today and DS1 had his first ever restaurant provided by (Pure Knead).  He loved it!  And was thoroughly stuffed.  Next restaurant to try is Ted's Montana Grill who also offers our favorite bread.  If you are in the Atlanta area, Pure Knead is free of top 8 and actually tastes really good!
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1388 on: July 04, 2016, 11:19:03 AM »
Just wanted to share some good news.

We are going to a baseball game. It's an evening game, and with traffic, we will be leaving before dinner time. I can't imagine there is anything safe for me...other than licorice. So I sent an e-mail and within minutes (literally less than 5 minutes) I received a response that I can bring my own food and drink in containers not more than 600ml. and no alcohol.

Yay! I don't have to chose between eating or breathing.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1389 on: July 04, 2016, 12:31:17 PM »
That is great news, SL.

I received a happy email from a manufacturer today, one who gave me very detailed information on what is and is not used in their dedicated facility, what is stored in a separate area of that facility in sealed boxes and never opened, and how to clearly identify items made there, as they are all SAFE for me (and anyone not allergic to wheat or oats, actually)! He went on to explain that products made in their other facilities are clearly marked and not safe for me.  I love it when companies understand.  This is a local company too.  I plan to buy and use all of their safe items when I get home from camp and support them whenever I can.  Companies that understand and respect food allergies should be rewarded (and thanked profusely for being transparent).

The company: True Grain - they make stone-milled flours (safe for me), unbleached flour (not safe, different facility), and bakery items (not safe, different facility). I would include a link but I don't know if it is allowed here. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1390 on: July 06, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »
SC- you can make a new post under products and manufacturers with a link

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1391 on: July 06, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
Today I was tempted into trying a cherry, since the bag I got for DH looked so good. I wanted to see if I still have OAS.

Yes. Yes I do. Epic fail.  :disappointed:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1392 on: July 06, 2016, 09:52:10 PM »
Oh no. I'm sorry!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1393 on: July 07, 2016, 06:33:58 AM »
It's not tragic Mac.  It's gotten better over the years (one of the few things that is getting better as I age - my allergies aren't nearly as bad!) - I can now eat watermelon and honeydew, nectarines, plums and most raw veggies as long as I'm on my Claritin.  Still no peaches, cantaloupe, cherries or kiwi, even on meds.  But this is a big, big improvement.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1394 on: July 08, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
Just wanted to share some good news.

We are going to a baseball game. It's an evening game, and with traffic, we will be leaving before dinner time. I can't imagine there is anything safe for me...other than licorice. So I sent an e-mail and within minutes (literally less than 5 minutes) I received a response that I can bring my own food and drink in containers not more than 600ml. and no alcohol.

Yay! I don't have to chose between eating or breathing.

When we got to our seats, there were signs of peanut shells on the floor under a lot of seats, but fortunately, nobody sitting near us was eating any. They were all to interested in beer. Lol