login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384931 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1440 on: November 14, 2016, 11:02:15 AM »
One allergist appt down, we left the office and went straight to Lab Corp for the blood draw for the tree nut component test.  Results will take a week or so.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1441 on: November 14, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »
Second kid allergist appt done...skin tests for bees was negative, had blood drawn just in case...results back in a week.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1442 on: November 14, 2016, 06:51:28 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good day, hezz!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1443 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
Weird but reasonably pleasant experience.

We like to buy frozen ribs. They come in sauce. Honey/garlic, BBQ, or chipotle. There are two brands we buy. DH was looking through the flyers and saw some in sale, I said I don't know that company. He said he's sure we've had them before, I said I don't know that company. He went shopping while I worked on a turkey.

He gets home, I open a freezer bag take out a box of the ribs and say "well, at least they are well labeled". Yup, in bold at the bottom of the ingredients Sauce contains peanut/nut.

DH took the three boxes back to the store. They said they cannot refund for frozen products. He points out the time on the bill...bought them 10 minutes ago. And says they have peanut in the sauce. She says "peanut?" And immediately refunds his money.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1444 on: November 23, 2016, 06:55:16 AM »
Another weird thing, on the good(er) side.

On Facebook a "promoted" post showed up on my newsfeed. It is a company that I can buy some safe food from. This was about a new product, not yet available in all stores. Since their web-site does not list ingredients, I asked if it was peanut/nut safe. They said they would check and get back to me.

Ok, fine.

This morning I went to the post, by my comment, I see their reply to me, and notification that there are 2 additional comments. I click....nothing there. This happens when the admin for the Facebook page deletes people's responses. I'm not big on censorship, but considering on-line bullying is at an all time high, I can guess what kind of comments were deleted....and I appreciate it.

Offline Ciel

« Reply #1445 on: November 23, 2016, 10:49:19 AM »
Wow SilverLining.... yes I guess those are good things. I'm glad you didn't have to read any derogatory comments. And maybe now your DH will read the labels in the store so he doesn't have to make a return trip.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1446 on: November 23, 2016, 12:18:38 PM »

Or, good-ly?  ;)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1447 on: November 23, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
Wow SilverLining.... yes I guess those are good things. I'm glad you didn't have to read any derogatory comments. And maybe now your DH will read the labels in the store so he doesn't have to make a return trip.

He usually is really good. But he didn't have his glasses with him.

Or, good-ly?  ;)

:clap: :rofl:

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1448 on: November 25, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »
I made someone's day on thanksgiving by making sure all the desserts were gluten free!  it was awesome to see her face light up when she could have them all.  She was very appreciative.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1449 on: November 25, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »
Awesome hezzier

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1450 on: December 15, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »
Mystery stomach ache and thumb nail-size hives covering one arm (and only one arm).  The joys of allergies and never really knowing where this stuff comes from some days.  And then waiting to see if it is just random hives and a tummy ache or more than that, when no new foods were eaten.  And then wondering if any new symptoms are anxiety or allergies.  :tongue: (I will be okay, it has been an extremely hive-y and eczema-y month for me.)

Someone needs to invent a device than can detect an allergic reaction in progress to take out the guess work.  Any takers?  I really think such a device would be a huge benefit to our community, so long as it could differentiate milder environmental vs. food reactions, the more severe ones, or some key markers for anaphylactic reactions.  Like a diabetic sugar finger poke test, maybe?  I have no idea if that is even possible, beyond the blood test I have had for suspected atypical anaphylaxis a few times.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1451 on: December 16, 2016, 08:19:04 AM »
Space, the only thing worse is when it is happening to your kid, so you are guessing about someone else!  And staring....and asking questions....and requiring too many peak meter readings....and circling hives with ink to see if they are really getting bigger.....and trying to be calm and sane on the outside while inside you are scared sh**less!

I agree, would love a way to know for sure what the heck is going on.

Hope it is all resolved this morning.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1452 on: December 17, 2016, 08:19:58 PM »
My poor husband is like that sometimes too. Other times he just rolls his eyes and tells me to go away. He seems to have pretty good instints though and when he gets worried I know it means we will be going to the hospital or clinic.

The hives went away after an hour or so. It was rally weird.

I had an interesting experience this weekend at my husband's work party. The firm owners were all very concerned that I wasn't eating anything. They honestly want to have an event where I can enjoy the food. It was so hard to explain it to them how difficult that would be. They understand no blatant allergens but fail to grasp the cross contact and calling companies for traces factors. Has anyone ever had success with this type of thing? (It was a catered finger food type event with actual chefs cooking stuff right there in the kitchen.)

Baby steps, right? The fact that they were all concerned and spent time talking with me to try to make future events safe was touching.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1453 on: December 17, 2016, 08:28:57 PM »
Also random: when you know you need to be medically stable (no Epi reactions) for three months before a trip to have medical coverage for allergies whilst away, one eats with an even more extreme level of caution. (I already don't qualify for trip cancellation due to allergies because my last reaction was less than three months ago. 😬 )

Oh, I spent considerable time on the phone learning how our travel insurance policies are affected by allergies and what they will cover in the event of an allergic reaction whilst travelling. The agent I spoke to even had Ana allergies herself and offered up new scenarios too.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1454 on: December 18, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »
My poor husband is like that sometimes too. Other times he just rolls his eyes and tells me to go away. He seems to have pretty good instints though and when he gets worried I know it means we will be going to the hospital or clinic.

The hives went away after an hour or so. It was rally weird.

I had an interesting experience this weekend at my husband's work party. The firm owners were all very concerned that I wasn't eating anything. They honestly want to have an event where I can enjoy the food. It was so hard to explain it to them how difficult that would be. They understand no blatant allergens but fail to grasp the cross contact and calling companies for traces factors. Has anyone ever had success with this type of thing? (It was a catered finger food type event with actual chefs cooking stuff right there in the kitchen.)

Baby steps, right? The fact that they were all concerned and spent time talking with me to try to make future events safe was touching.

When my sons got married, one booked dinner at a restaurant and made sure I could bring in my own food. The other had the wedding at a winery in Niagara Region. Most if those places do not allow outside food other than the caterer they have a contract with. (The reason is, risk to their crops.) He chose a caterer that was peanut/nut free and made their own breads so could be sure no sesame seeds.