login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384727 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1665 on: January 17, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
One thing I thought of, SC.  I notice I seem to react slightly to potatoes.  I first started noticing the reactions while eating out (since I rarely eat potatoes at home).  If I had a baked potato, I would react when I ate the skin but no other time.  At first I thought it was perhaps due to workers wearing latex gloves while handling the potatoes.  Then I noticed I was reacting to fries with skins on.  Then I began reacting to all potatoes.  It's never severe and never progresses beyond some mucous in my throat and upper lung area.  Not sure if it could be OAS...

Anyway, you might try both the skin and the flesh (is that the correct term?) for your challenge.  Oh, also, russet potatoes were the first I reacted to, but now I react to red potatoes, too.

Hope that's helpful to you.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1666 on: January 18, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »
I don’t know if they specified thebpotato, but Yukon Golds are naturally softer and more “buttery” by themselves. They are really so much easier to eat than russets.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1667 on: January 18, 2018, 06:49:41 AM »
Oh, I just read RC’s post. Maybe russets would be best.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1668 on: January 18, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
Rebekah, that sounds a lot like OAS, which is what my allergist suspects mine will be, though I am still skeptical because I have no other history of typical OAS symptoms at all, to anything.  He has questioned me about apples, celery, and some other OAS foods twice, but I can eat an unwashed Apple off an orchard tree in the height of pollen season without any issue whatsoever. 

I asked about meds (all ok since I don't regularly take antihistamines) but not breakfast, so I will call about that. 

Good point on eating the flesh and skin. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1669 on: January 18, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
Yeah, I don't have OAS to other things, either even though I'm allergic to so many pollens, grasses, etc.  I'm a bit surprised that if potatoes cause OAS I don't have actual mouth symptoms - no swelling, tingling, itchy palate, redness around my mouth - just mucous in my deep throat/ upper lungs - past my vocal cords, so not where the food actually touches.  It's just weird, but maybe potato OAS is weird...or I am?  ;)
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1670 on: February 28, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »
Sometimes I am reminded at how much positive change can come out of an unfortunate situation.  Due to two severe allergic reactions, at two separate locations, both locations have now implemented excellent allergen-awareness and accommodation procedures.  I was reminded of that today when visiting one of those places' website and reading their updated allergy policy, and it made me feel proud that one person really can make a difference in raising awareness and making the world more accessible for people with allergies.  Each one of us is making a positive difference in the way allergies are treated and perceived by those around us.  Never forget that. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1671 on: February 28, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »
:)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1672 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
 :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #1673 on: February 28, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »
Here here!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #1674 on: March 27, 2018, 11:09:19 PM »
Is it just me, or does everyone else get really ticked off about all the suggested 'food pranks' for April Fools?

Not funny.  Even if you managed to 'trick' me with something that wouldn't kill me or make me very, very sick, I would never ever trust that person ever again.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1675 on: June 11, 2018, 11:55:45 PM »
Great: I've been chatting all evening with the owner of a local candy factory and sweet shop.  SHE GETS IT.  Her candy factory is completely free from peanuts, tree nuts, gluten (including wheat), corn, artificial colours, and a few other ingredients.  She is sending me lists of ingredients, brands she uses, links to allergen information, her own procedures to keep the factory safe, etc.  She's even wiling to change brands of an ingredient to make her products even MORE allergy-friendly.  (One brand she uses has a cc risk for potato.)  Then, she invited me into her factory this weekend to discuss everything, show me around, etc.  It's truly magical.  I might cry in the candy store on Saturday if I can have a 100% safe treat. 

Another win: a local Canadian company emailed me back with complete transparency on their product, even cautioning me against some of their flavours with seasoning made off-site where there could be potato cross contact risk.  I emailed them back with constructive remarks on how to make their packaging more allergy friendly (instead of saying 'nut-free', say 'manufactured in a facility free from peanuts, tree nuts, and the other top allergens not found in their facility) and they're considering it.  Wow, it's amazing to see companies that truly care and want to better themselves for the benefit of everyone. 

And then there's the giant companies that refuse to reveal allergen information; it's infuriating when they cannot give you a simple answer (even if I'm willing to wait a week for an answer).  And so, we try to find these smaller companies that make better products and have better transparency.  It's a win-win. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1676 on: June 12, 2018, 06:38:18 AM »
That is amazing, SC.  Really.  :heart:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1677 on: June 12, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
Aaannnndddd.... another company I contacted (Nutiva) just emailed me a multi-page well-written PDF with each of their products, all ingredients, and a list of all top allergens produced in shared facility with each item.  I think I've hit an allergy-friendly jackpot this week: we're adding many new foods to the pantry! 

I'm normally anxious to try new things or call new companies, for it usually means a frustrating or sad/depressing experience when they cannot provide adequate allergen information or they say their product isn't safe, so I rarely attempt to try anything new.  Calling and emailing companies is exhausting, but sometimes it's worth reaching out to see if something new is safe -- because when it really is safe, it's exciting. 

And yet, I'll still only try the new food at home, with my husband present, and low activity planned for the following two to four hours -- at least the first few times I try it, until I am confident it's ok.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1678 on: June 12, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »
We are amazed and it really is sad that we are, that more companies don't get it or don't want to.  So happy you found some new fun safe food and treats!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1679 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:50 PM »

I'm normally anxious to try new things or call new companies, for it usually means a frustrating or sad/depressing experience when they cannot provide adequate allergen information or they say their product isn't safe, so I rarely attempt to try anything new.  Calling and emailing companies is exhausting, but sometimes it's worth reaching out to see if something new is safe -- because when it really is safe, it's exciting. 

And yet, I'll still only try the new food at home, with my husband present, and low activity planned for the following two to four hours -- at least the first few times I try it, until I am confident it's ok.

I could have posted this.

~~~

We have a wedding coming up. The brides mom told me she picked the caterer, someone she knows, because it is peanut and sesame free.

Sounds great...but I’m going to have to get the contact info and drill with questions. The wedding is not close to a hospital. I mean, it is not in a city. Nearest town has no hospital. Not sure if nearest hospital has an ER.

The original plan was I would bring my own food. I liked that plan better.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:41:42 PM by SilverLining »