imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384702 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1725 on: November 16, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
 ;D

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1726 on: December 17, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »
I couldn't make it past 25-30 seconds without freaking out due to PTSD, but this video has plenty of praise from the local allergy community.

https://www.facebook.com/APBC873/videos/1348092251993043/?fref=gs&dti=62003549384&hc_location=group

Our local paramedics save Christmas (and Santa). 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1727 on: December 18, 2018, 05:59:20 AM »
OK, I'll admit it.  I cried.  :hiding:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1728 on: December 18, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »
I have tried four times to watch it but cannot get past the first bite of cookie and Santa's realisation what was in it.  But, Santa shouldn't have eaten anything without an ingredient list if he has food allergies.  Lessons!

I'm not sure whether or not to share this on my work Facebook page or not, reminding everyone to be safe at Christmas.  But, I don't want it triggering anyone else either...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1729 on: December 19, 2018, 01:02:17 AM »
Yeah, Santa shouldn’t eat cookies unless they’re prepackaged and he trusts the manufacturer.

Reminds me of Penny’s poem and painting.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #1730 on: December 19, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
I sent the link to her. I wanted to post her poem on their page, but decided that was her decision, not mine,

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1731 on: January 11, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
Why does it seem like I'm always the one pointing out cross contact concerns and labelling misinterpretations in my local allergy groups?  Am I just over-cautious and worry about everything, or do people just not want to know?  I've been scolded a few times for being too dramatic when citing 'nut-free' on a label doesn't mean it's made in a nut-free facility or on nut-free lines, and to always double check with the manufacturer.  Or, when that non-dairy frozen dessert is being served in the same machine as one that is milk-based, cc is a huge concern - you can see it very blatantly happening.  Or, when a restaurant says an item is 100% nut-free but they use plenty of nuts in their kitchen - I'd want to question how it was made and handled to ensure it really was nut-free... but others trust the claim, assuring me that the restaurant would know to take precautions to make that claim... but do they, really?  I never tell people they are wrong, just point out things to consider - like was that item made in a shared blender with nutty salad dressing? 

I realise comfort levels and risk tolerances vary, and I often mention that, and to consult their allergist for advice, but it's like some people get snarky with me for being too cautious.  But am I being too cautious?  Maybe I've had too many bad experiences to traces, so-called cleaning protocols, and mix ups over the years.  Maybe it's my PTSD from anaphylaxis to one of those 'supposed to be 100% safe' items.  I don't know.  I am tired from educating people today.  Time for a break.

I guess I'm just venting here today.  Educating people about allergies, even those with allergies, is hard.  :banghead:

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1732 on: February 01, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »
My psychologist just added a recovery protocol to my anaphylaxis action plan.  I think it is a brilliant idea, and thought I would mention it in case others feel it could be useful to them as well.  Feeling stunned after a reaction can make me forget how recovery goes, and then I get frustrated when I don't bounce back as fast as I would like.  Having a reminder on my action plan that it takes up to a week to physically recover and up to a month mentally will hopefully help with that.

My psychologist instructions are more detailed than that, but that's the general idea.  Why hasn't this been added before? Total lightbulb moment.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1733 on: February 01, 2019, 05:30:35 PM »
That is a forward thinking doctor! Wow. All plans should have that.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline starlight

« Reply #1734 on: February 02, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
Space, I'm in a facebook group about peanut allergies that I follow mostly because I like to stay informed on new products and shared lines without having to call companies myself. People there can get absolutely vicious. There are some that are mean unintentionally (I've seen enough of their comments that I believe they're actually autistic and don't really understand the nuance of blunt vs. rude online), and some that are just plain cruel. And some are so defensive, that any helpful suggestion turns into "they're calling me an idiot and/or a bad parent! I know how to raise my child!".  :-/

ETA: I forgot my point!  ~) Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do to get through to people. You put the info out there, now it's up to them to make use of it. You did what you could.  :heart:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:48:55 AM by starlight »

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1735 on: May 07, 2019, 12:46:49 AM »

I don't have anything nice to say about this.  It made me upset to see it every day in the newsletter and on most menus.  I don't eat 'may contains', so I definitely didn't eat here.  I don't know how to blur out the identifying information.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1736 on: May 07, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »
 :rant:

Was this just one of the dining facilities or for all of them???

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1737 on: May 07, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »
Was this just one of the dining facilities or for all of them???
It was on every newsletter delivered to our room, with the summary of daily activities.  I saw it on at least one menu, too.  I didn't pay much attention to menus after that, to be honest.  After seeing this repeatedly, and the comedian mocking life-threatening food allergies on the first night, I was pretty much in survival mode for the remainder of the cruise.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1738 on: May 08, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »
That's horrible!!

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1739 on: May 16, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
We got a take out menu for a local tap house in the mail so I was thinking maybe we should try it...then I saw the disclaimer

"Please be aware that during normal kitchen operations involving shared cooking and preparation areas, including common fryer oil, the possibility exists for food items to come in contact with other food products, due to these circumstances, we are unable to guarantee that any menu item can be completely free of allergens."

I do understand this is the reality at every restaurant, but it makes me feel like they won't even try so why bother.