login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 384592 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline MaryM

Re: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on
« Reply #1785 on: October 30, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »
I'd do them on tin foil in the toaster oven.  Its not an issue for DD.  She's eaten things from the toaster oven at the lake and I know my brother makes Eggos in it.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #1786 on: October 31, 2019, 01:56:50 AM »
Toaster bags might be an option for a tradional toaster as well, depending on how well you think that it would handle cross-contamination.

That being said, our cook at camp does frozen waffles (belgian style, not Eggo) in the oven regularly and has great results.  Though some of that is probably due to her great homemade sauces.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1787 on: October 31, 2019, 05:31:47 AM »
Thanks space!

He ate a whole muffin last night.  No issues when I went to be at 10.  I woke up at 2 as did DH and I said that I assumed he checked on DS before he went to bed....nope.  So I was trying to peak in on him in the muddle of the night & woke him up.  He was fine.  I knew if I didn’t check him I would not sleep.  So I’m glad to say our dosing seems to be going well!

The mother of the girl playing Matilda texted me yesterday.  She said during one of the carpools they were talking about Booing their neighbors.  She said DD seemed sad she hadn’t been booed on a long time so she was going to drop off a bag / smarties, surf sweets - allergy friendly treats!  I was in tears.  The mom has celiac and her daughter had 2 friends with severe allergies.  She thought Halloween must be hard for DD and wanted to give her a treat.  I was so touched and DD was thrilled!!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #1788 on: October 31, 2019, 10:50:27 AM »
Oh wow. That is so sweet! 🎃
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1789 on: October 31, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
Nice!  I have allergy and celiac kiddos who visit me each year knowing we "get" it.  We have been asked to "Boo" their kids in the past and we have.  It's fun!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:29:42 PM by PurpleCat »

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1790 on: October 31, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
So DS is only allergic to tree nuts...I could not believe how many PB cups he and his friends came home with last night.  I asked him people had other options available and he starts rattling off everything that is cross contaminated with peanuts.  I think the only contains item I saw was almond joy...I asked his friends not to eat them while here.

I always have 3 buckets...rubber ducks, peanut/tree nut free options and then some sort of chocolate that DS picks.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #1791 on: October 31, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
Rubber ducks?  Is there a story behind that one?  I think it's awesome! 

Also, why is Hallowe'en on a different day there? 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1792 on: October 31, 2019, 06:09:29 PM »
For the 12 and under kids at swim meets our old team gave out rubber ducks for the winner of each heat...so highly sot after...DS still has them on display in his room.  The kids love them so when I was looking for a non-food item for my teal bucket I ordered a bunch of rubber ducks from Oriental Trading...all different themes.  I give them to anyone who wants them whether they take candy or not.

I believe it was moved a really long time ago to the night before due to kids causing mischief...in Mass, when we were kids the night before was called Cabbage Night and that's when the eggs and the TP-ing of houses took place.  I haven't heard too much of that happening anymore or at least near us.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:11:39 PM by hezzier »

Offline MaryM

« Reply #1793 on: November 04, 2019, 06:34:04 AM »
DS tried Eggs waffles yesterday.  He liked them but he asked me if they make an apple cinnamon flavor like Vans.  Those are his favorites and he can still have them if he wants. 

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #1794 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:51 AM »
Yay for new food!

DS's favorite flavor of toaster waffles is cinnamon.  There wouldn't be any apples in it, but I bet (without trying because apple allergy) that cinnamon eggos would be good spread with apple butter or a bit of apple pie filling instead of syrup.  Occasionally I make DS a PB&J for breakfast with waffles instead of bread.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1795 on: November 15, 2019, 05:39:54 PM »
DD went to her Frat's Formal last night.  She observed someone having anaphylaxis.  First time she has watched.  She was texting me and was very scared for the person. Odd for her to see that perspective. No news on how that kiddo is doing.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1796 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:00 AM »
This is a new one for me...

"Food Allergens: We take food safety seriously. Please inform your server of any and all food allergies or sensitivities that you or any member of your party may have so that we can inform you of our food allergen policy. Note: Anyone with an allergy requiring an epi-pen must inform our staff and must be able to show they have an epi-pen available. Thank you for your understanding."

My first question is: is it legal?

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #1798 on: January 29, 2020, 03:39:15 PM »
Unfortunately you are right.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #1799 on: February 02, 2020, 01:24:18 PM »
Superb You Tube sent by my local support group leader. The young woman who did this video is her friend’s daughter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llCvcULwYfg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 02:59:17 PM by GoingNuts »
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US