FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 391688 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2013, 03:53:25 PM »
Good to know about the cinnamon.  I never knew that.

Ick, we gett them every spring, particularly after a good rain.  Fascinating little buggers, I just don't want them in my house!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
Mac, can you get the Terro baits?  I don't think that they have PB - they are filled with a clear gel/liquid and don't have any smell that I noticed.

And they work.  Way better than anything else that I have tried.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »
Baking cookies for a friend who is new to gluten free.  Like baking for DD in the beginning.  Reading every label 3 times and photo copying ingredients for her to read.  She's going to be surprised!

My kitchen was spotless when I started.

I baked her cookies first and now have baked some for her family and us that are not gluten free.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:34 AM »
And another one in the family with allergies.   :banghead:

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2013, 07:25:55 AM »
Oh no, SL.  Who?  What?
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
One of my grandson's.  he outgrew soy allergy and a dairy intolerance.  Now he's developed an insect allergy.  A spider bite had his arm tripled in size.  It was mostly back to normal when I saw it (four days later) but, what looked like hives all over his back and chest.  Apparently not fom the spider bite but from something else, bites while outside playing.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
Hmmm . . . is that necessarily an allergy?  I know kids who do that with all kinds of bugs.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2013, 09:05:57 AM »
I did look for the Terro baits but only had the chance to do this at 10:00 pm at our CVS. This is what they had--the Raid baits. They are cream colored and look like a flower on top.  Ants gone within 18 hours (most activity had ceased after 12 hours).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »
Hmmm . . . is that necessarily an allergy?  I know kids who do that with all kinds of bugs.

One bite had his arm three times it's normal size (as well as red, and various other symptoms) and even with benedryl it was still somewhat swollen three days later.  I don't think that's "normal" and anyone who reacts that badly should get it checked.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:20 PM »
 :disappointed:
N.E. US

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »
Leaving in less than a week and in a total panic.  Hotel with fridge and microwave, but no idea of the size.  Much prefer the kitchen of a cabin or even larger hotel room. 

DS1 can't do gluten and egg - that means packing his bread, sunbutter and jelly.  DS2 can't do peanuts. 

DH is trying to go primal.  And he expects me to give a rat's patootie about his dietary concerns.  Give me a freaking break.

Concerned because we are headed to a Bavarian town (don't get too excited, northeast corner of GA) and several state parks.  Not finding a single go-to fast food place local.  Nor am I finding a chain grocery. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2013, 10:10:09 PM »
Do you need some go-to things with only rice or potato based starches?

I've done that kind of hotel cooking, btw.

Crockpot Spanish Rice-- brown rice, salsa, black beans and corn.  Can top w/ cheese if you're feeling saucy.

Microwave lentils, sausage, and carrots-- just like it sounds-- salt after cooking.

Corn tortillas and cheese and tomato paste == mini-pizzas.  (yeah, I know-- but it works in a pinch)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »
Unfortunately the one who needs to do beans the most, cannot due to heartburn issues.  If it's dried, he is miserable.  Thankfully it's only four days and it's definitely doable thanks to many convenience foods that are not as good as eating at home.

I was more peeved at DH ranting about how jelly keeps up DS1's inflamation and how I should be more concerned about HIS paleo crap. 
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2013, 07:51:36 AM »
I've been holding on to this one for a few days. Ponder with me.

In the section of frozen novelties I was mentally hemming and hawing some So Delicious bars for DS1 which I'm sure looks indistinguishable from zoning out, but there was a new product next to it that caught my attention. It had a picture of a huge yellow lab head above a bunch of peanutty stuff. Aw yeah, frozen dog treats in the dairy case. At first I thought maybe some customer had misplaced it there but nope, thank you Shaw's what a stomach turning joy shopping for my food mixed in with dog food.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
LOL - You would hate our natural food store then.  They have bakery type cakes that are made specifically for dogs in the freezer section.  They have signs all over them about not being for human consumption but they really look like a cake you could pick up in the bakery.  They don't have many options in the freezer section and have opted to put them in with the GF options.

Our grocery stores all offer Frosty Paws, frozen dog treats and Bil Jac but they have it in a 4ft section off to itself.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA