login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Living with Food Allergies, 2013 and on  (Read 385435 times)

Description: Day-to-day experiences

twinturbo

Re: Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2013, 10:28:19 AM »
By comparison Paris is worse, much worse, but yeah I'm not down with food made for animals mixed amongst the food I buy for my children. Shaw's can afford to get dedicated freezer space for pet food.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2013, 08:06:19 AM »
So.....long week for me.....

Dropped DD off at school yesterday at 5:30 and they are in Washington, DC.  First day went well....mostly food from home.....dinner was at the Ronald Reagan Mall and she brought a homemade roll and Subway made her a safe sandwich on it.  She texted me this morning that breakfast was great!  They made her berries, bacon and home fries...all safe and she is happy.  Off she goes!  She promised to text me after each meal and even called a few times yesterday....mostly cause it was a long day of travel.

They drove past that huge train wreckage in Baltimore while it was burning, and got soaked in the evening while visiting memorials.  Other than that, she told me the hotel room is small!  Well, yes, 4 girls and all their stuff - because heaven forbid we arrive without all our hair appliances.  How these hotels handle the electricity with all these kids - 4 to a room, charging too many devices, plus apparently the boys bring their Play Stations, and the hair dryers, straighteners, etc.....

She's happy....I'm keeping busy and keeping my phone at my side!

Offline krasota

« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
And in the "unexpected potential sources of exposure" . . .

We received testing materials from Seton today.  DS is homeschooled and we've chosen to administer the CAT for the state-required proof of progress.  The instructor materials are rented.  Today, the packet arrived with lots of liquid staining.  I'm assuming coffee, but I have to wonder . . . is there soymilk?  Nutmilk?  Regular milk?  Coffee with ground nuts or a substitute containing barley?

I no longer check out library books for myself because of crumbs and cats.  Didn't much think about testing materials, but it's the same thing.

And yes, I washed my hands right away. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »
Drove behind a police car today and the three letters of its number plate were NKA.  All I could think of was 'no known allergies'.  :)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
Drove behind a police car today and the three letters of its number plate were NKA.  All I could think of was 'no known allergies'.  :)

;D

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2013, 12:09:58 AM »
And so it goes.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:58:29 AM by notashrimpwimp »

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
OMGoodness, that's awful, SW.   :(
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
 Krasota CM dealt with this issue but her DD does cyberschool and has a 504. One accommodation is new textbooks and materials.

How often will you have to do state testing? If you have to do much throughout the years I'm not sure how a 504 would would with the Commonwealth itself rather than CCS but it's something to keep in mind--even if only for that accommodation. DS had one--the first in our area for LTFAs. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »
NASW that is awful. Awful. ((Hugs))
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
:console: NASW-- "hostile work environment," much?

Krasota, what Mac says is true-- in fact, just this morning DD took the SAT with a proctor in a room by herself.  A room where food was controlled (basically verboten for the last week, in fact, and we still wiped things down).

Those 504 provisions all those years ago... laid the ground work for the accommodations from College Board.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline starlight

« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
Thank you everyone. :grouphug:

Starlight, I am in the US and I have thought about trying to find a way to alert me before I start to react. A shellfish and nut sniffing pup sounds like a lifesaver.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2013, 09:32:57 PM »
What a situation Starlight.  One needs the dog, the other can't breath around it.

Offline krasota

« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
The test materials for Ronan are unused and new.  It's the instructor booklet which is reused and dirty.  And I can't get a 504 for *myself*.    Also, the testing material is purchased/rented from Seton--the Commonwealth isn't involved.  I'll contact Seton when we're back home. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
I'm not so sure about that, actually, Krasota.

I think that disability in a parent is also potentially something which can result in a loss of civil liberties, or interfere with a student's access to the educational environment.  Those things can be written into a 504 plan.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.