FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Teens and Food Allergies

What would your FA teen do with a GAP YEAR?

(1/3) > >>

CMdeux:
So I'm curious.

We've been talking about this around here because our DD will graduate from high school a whopping 3+ years early.

While she is undoubtedly ready for the academic demands of college...

we'd love it if she had the ability to spend a year doing something that is simply meaningful in some way... because, well-- the acceleration has given her the "gift of time."

I think it's really obvious how FA management improves with additional maturity, too-- so every additional year is better advocacy skill, more assertive communication strategies, etc. etc. 

BUT... about 60% of traditional "gap year" planning is about travel.  To developing countries or really marginal locations in terms of management.  NOT happening with someone like my DD, who has a super-low threshold.

What does that leave??

Our family has had some conversations about this, but I'll hold off until a few other people have weighed in first. 

TIA!!   :thumbsup:

Macabre:
Travel to Europe.  I don't think he needs to travel to an underdeveloped part of the world to sped the year well. He currently does a lot of service. If he could spend time expanding his foreign language skills that would be time well spent IMHO.

Macabre:
I'm terms of travel, it's been so helpful to see members like Nameless or members' kids (GoingNuts, LindaJo, and Peg) travel.   

I am pretty confident in DS ability to go to a European country by himself by that age.

ajasfolks2:
Spend the year travelling to National Parks in the US . . . couple it with indepth geology studies . . . then maybe work against fracking.

;D

LinksEtc:

--- Quote from: CMdeux on February 04, 2013, 02:15:45 PM ---we'd love it if she had the ability to spend a year doing something that is simply meaningful in some way... because, well-- the acceleration has given her the "gift of time."

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---What does that leave??

--- End quote ---

I think it depends on what she finds meaningful.  Volunteering, advocacy, small business - Shark Tank  :), writing/publishing, internships, diving deep into a specific academic subject, art/music, USA travel, bucket list, etc.

My kids would love unlimited time to improve their Wii skills  :P

-------------------

Macabre -  :grouphug:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version