login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Johnny Rockets?  (Read 7121 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Johnny Rockets?
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
We got one in our community.  Anyone dined there?  It is walking distance from out Jr. High and HS campus.  I anticipate it being a hot spot for kids after school, and weekend evenings. 

Well, glancing at their website I can already see that shakes will be completely off limits.  They make a few peanut butter flavor ones and a butterfinger one.  :(  dd was hoping for a safe shake.  wish that had a basic flavor or two that came out of a machine. 

And this off their website:

"Johnny Rockets products may contain one or more of the potential allergens listed here. Please know that we do everything in our power to ensure a pleasant visit for all of our guests. This includes keeping strict guidelines to help minimize the possibility of cross-contamination of products which can be considered allergens. If your condition is life threatening then it may be in your best interest to avoid our restaurant due to the possible, however extremely unlikely, event that residue from the products you are concerned with may come in contact with those considered safe."

So, does anyone actually eat there?  I do think, when travelling once, the kids got burgers there.  But I forget now, if it was Johnny Rockets or Fudruckers or a similar chain. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:17:08 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline nameless

Re: Johnny Rockets?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
I once took a look at how their open kitchen was set-up and got to see how messy the shakes were and it getting everywhere. I turned around and walked out.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »
Ugh.  Kinda worried about that.  I used to work at a bust Brighams in Harvard Square.  Don't I know how the shakes fly!

She is definitely going to be invited or want to go there. 

Hoping we can find that the place is clean and can at least give her safe fries or chicken nuggets.  They do provide extensive ingredient lists for their foods, but have the above disclaimer about if  your allergy is life-threatening, we suggest you don't eat here...  That attitude just pisses me off.  I know there is inherent risks anywhere we dine, but I would prefer they would say, "Talk to our management and we will carefully prepare your item."   

Guess we will not be enjoying Johnny Rockets.  It might be worth looking at our location and chatting with the manager, I suppose.  But I am not at all hopeful. 

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
we walked out several years ago after seein an open tub of pb on the ledge over the grilling area.  that was probablyyears ago so not sure if they've gotten better with cross contact avoidance or not.  ds wants no part if trying again.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
:hiding:

DS and I went to the one on M Street in Georgetown this past summer.  I was way more worried about me than I was him.  We obviously didn't get dessert, and it was quite separate from other prep areas.

He got a veggie burger and fries. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:32:07 AM »
on an other forum I remember someone posting that they sat at the counter and watched prep.  She saw a cook make a PB&J, wipe the knife off and use it for something else.  PB&J used to be be on their kids menu.  We don't go, so I don't know if it it still is.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
that might have been me.   was awhile ago.  ds seemed pretty young.  to this day, he will not even check to see if anything has changed there.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
Well dd is sad.  This place is definitely going to draw the kids.  There is very little going on around here and this is so close to school.  :( 

That said, I will go look and speak with the manager.  Maybe there will be some compassion and care since they are so close to a local Jr. High and HS and being careful will bring in more business. 

But, really, after looking over the menu, PB is quite integral to their shakes.  I bet they slap PB on some burger. 

Offline nameless

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
Yeah, it sucks. But...

...how does your DD feel about exploring options like --- eating beforehand or bringing a snack with her so she can hang out with friends, but just not eat?

As an adult with food allergies, growing up with them since age 2, I firmly believe there is a point where the young'n going into pre-teen years needs to start seeing it as a possibility to go with friends, but just not eat. To hang, to be friends, to have fun...just not eat.

I started doing this in college in order not to be left out of the circle of friends and it's still a regular practice. It takes getting used to, sure, and sometimes I feel crappy not eating the yummy food...sure...but I've learned over many years to let a lot of food-allergy-things (like being "left out") roll off my back. So now...it's "being left out of eating" but not "being left out of hanging out with friends".

Make any sense? Not sure if your DD is there yet.

And I'm not saying to not acknowledge it's sh!tty, it is...

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »
It takes some time to get there. DS is only there this year, and he's several years older than becca's dd.

DS and I have talked about this for a few years. But now he'd just rather go and be with friends and just getting something to drink. Of course with this resTaurNt I'm guessing folks would be worried abut otherwise safe cokes getting contaminated.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 07:13:20 AM »
I am not usually worried about a soda, but this place is way beyond anything with the peanut butter in several shakes.  And it sounds like they do tons of shakes, it is their "thing." 

Dd has been places with *us* and not eaten!  There was the time she forgot her epipens when we went off to the mall.  Maybe 5th grade?  we had reminded her, and she somehow set them down again, or forgot.  We had planned on having lunch as a family.  We still needed to feed ds, as he was hungry and young.  Not fair to starve him for her error.  So, we got him pizza in the food court.  She was very hungry, since we had planned on having lunch.  It was a lesson. 

Also, we have often brought food or simple snacks in place of buying her food at parks, etc...  when we are headed into unknown territory.  She is ok with that, as a family. 

However, she does seem bummed at the thought of hanging and not getting something.  It just does not seem fun.  And she has made a poor decision or two, the couple of times I have let her go alone with friends to Dunkin Donuts.  Took a blender drink from a friend, when friend did not like it.  And oreo Coolatta.  Not sure if they do anything nutty on the blender, but she knew nothing of the item, since she had not ordered it for herself.  We discussed all of this.  And the sharing of the straw, not knowing what friend had eaten that day. 

She still is young or immature wrt to making impulsive decisions.  Well, I am guessing that is age-appropriate, seeing as that brain function does not mature entirely until around 25 years old. 

We will see and discuss if she gets invited to go there.  I would not want her having anything until I go see the place.    I do think we ate at one years ago.  In Florida, at a retirement "village."  It was very clean looking, as I recall.  I also think all the PB shakes would not be so big with the senior set.   It was likely our only real choice at the time and I am sure I had no awareness of their big thing with the shakes. 

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
We got fries at a Johnny Rockets in a mall once and they had good procedures to make sure that the fries were not xcontammed with anything else because they had a lot of other gluten-free and food allergic customers.  It was a dedicated fryer.  DS was fine eating them.  YMMV.

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
There's one in our mall and we eat there have never had a problem (no desserts or shakes)
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

Offline maeve

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
There's one in our mall and we eat there have never had a problem (no desserts or shakes)

We're about to head out to our local Johnny Rockets for lunch.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »
Glad to hear that some enjoy it, and go safely.  I still have to check ours out.  If the grill and fries are well away from the fountain, I think I would be okay with it, if the management has a clue. 

I heard a good story about the service, in general, at our new one here in town.  My friend went with her family.  her daughter did not like the chili.  There was nothing wrong with it, but she simply did not care for it.  The  waiter noticed and asked if it was ok, and they said so, and that the girl simply did not care for it.  They were offered something else, but declined, as the dd has picked at her sisters fries and was content.  They noticed the charge for the chili had been removed from the bill.  That was nice, and the waiter was clearly attentive to notice and ask about the uneaten chili.