login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epi law is passed  (Read 1916 times)

Description: school still has no pens

Online YouKnowWho

Epi law is passed
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Speaking with our school nurse this week and I had an eye opening experience.  Yes, we are a state that passed the law that requires schools to have an undesignated set of epi pens but we don't yet.

Our county will not pay for them out of county funds.  Grrr.  So what was the point?  FWIW, I told her to use one of our sets (I have two kids with food allergies and two sets of pens at school), if she ever needed to do so. 

She also needs a doctor to prescribe both a Jr and regular set.  I am pretty sure I can get my allergist or ped to do so.  But where do I go to get them paid for?  Mylan, PTA, local allergy group?

Thoughts??
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Epi law is passed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »
Well, find out who paid for your district's AED's.

That's how I'd approach it first.  Then PTA, then local allergy support groups, then manufacturers.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
In regards to prescribing, does the school nurse have a set of standing orders that she follows?  At the camps that I've worked at, we've had a set of standing orders that are reviewed and approved by a local doc each year.  That same doc writes prescriptions for all the meds that we keep on hand (epis, insulin, pink eye meds, prescription burn cream for the kitchen staff, etc.)

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:03:56 PM »
My district got 12 2 packs of epi/epi jr through their program for schools.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »
You law "requires" the school to have them?  Our law "allows" our school to have them, but that's assuming you can get a doctor to prescribe them and get the school district to pay for them.  I gave up when I couldn't find a doctor to do it.  I was willing to make a donation for the first year (only for our school) and then have the PTO put it in their budget for the next year for our school since there is no way with our districts financial issues (thanks to the stat of IL) that they will pay for it.