Association between latitude and allergic diseases

Started by CMdeux, February 04, 2013, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

http://www.annallergy.org/article/S1081-1206%2812%2900858-7/abstract

Well, so much for the "vitamin D deficiency" theorists out there.

Most northerly latitude, that is, latitude closest to the Equator, and high current UV-B exposure were associated with increased odds of hay fever, food allergy, and skin sensitization to house dust mites and molds. More northerly latitude and higher UV-B exposure were associated with increased odds of current asthma among atopic individuals contrasting with a reduced odds of current asthma among nonatopic individuals.

(This study was conducted longitudinally in Tazmania, so "northerly" there means "toward the equator.")
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

booandbrimom

Quote from: CMdeux on February 04, 2013, 08:13:51 PM
(This study was conducted longitudinally in Tazmania, so "northerly" there means "toward the equator.")

So that doesn't rule it out then, since allergies travel counterclockwise in the Southern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Northern, right?

Or do I have it backward? I'll have to go flush my toilet and see...
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Yes, the hypothesis which is NOW completely consistent with both this study and with observational/retrospective work done on this subject in the Northern hemisphere is that....

apparently the rules about vitamin D are that it's BAD if you don't have atopic genes, and very very good... if you DO. 

Evidently, I mean.  LOL.

This might be another one of those things like pig manure, I'm guessing.    :thumbsup:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

This has actually gotten a lot of airplay on twitter this week--from doctors and respected allergist professional groups.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview