FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Teens and Food Allergies

College/Career and food allergy considerations?

(1/3) > >>

CMdeux:
Thought I'd start off our new board here with a poll question for parents and teens (oh, and anyone who WAS a teen with food allergies).

Also curious about whether or not people answering think that this was a good thing for themselves personally, and if not, why not?

GoingNuts:
DS and I would answer that question differently.  I'd say, "yes, but not as important as other things".  He'd say, "not really".  His attitude was that it would all work out somehow, mine was that you need the basics to be in order for that to happen.

OK, truth be told, if it were up to me completely it would be top of the list. :hiding:

chase:
DS starts college in the Fall.  When we were looking at colleges we always had a meeting with the food service executive.  Every college we toured (all in CA) were on top of food allergies.   He did not want to attend a college that he would have to be the *trail blazer*. 

booandbrimom:

--- Quote from: GoingNuts on February 08, 2013, 12:37:25 PM ---DS and I would answer that question differently.  I'd say, "yes, but not as important as other things".  He'd say, "not really".  His attitude was that it would all work out somehow, mine was that you need the basics to be in order for that to happen.

OK, truth be told, if it were up to me completely it would be top of the list. :hiding:

--- End quote ---

I agree with this, but as my son has actually started making his final decision, it's been interesting to see how much food *is* factoring in. He's a growing young man and much of his life revolves around food, so he really is starting to weigh the food options more heavily.

(BTW...he got the long-awaited call yesterday for his most-selective college choice. He got in...so now the fun begins. May is coming fast!)

CMdeux:
Boo, this has been surprising to us, as well-- I mean, we sort of assumed that it WOULDN'T be all that important in our DD's mind, and for a while, it seemed as though it wasn't (other things were, and she's on the 'special exceptions' end of things in several ways, so....).

Then as it's gotten more "real" these things seem to become more real to her, too.  It's hard to watch them get more pragmatic, but I guess that is comforting in a lot of ways, too. 

My DD is a junior this year, so she's still got time.  I can't believe we've got a whole bunch of parents who are about to have kids old enough to go to... college.   :misspeak:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version