FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Teens and Food Allergies

Summer/PT jobs with food allergies?

(1/5) > >>

CMdeux:
What creative solutions have you come up with?

(It's probably helpful if you give some information about your specific allergens and what kind of precautions you find necessary in your daily life, too-- for example if you are milk allergic and can't eat in any restaurants safely, versus treenut allergic and pretty much live like anyone else that you know, except that you read food labels.)

booandbrimom:
My son simply got a non-food job. In a pharmacy! (So there's even an extra Epi-Pen in a pinch.)

I think it can actually help during the job form/interview process to briefly note the food allergies as a reason why the kid is pursuing a non-food job.

Also, kids with Epi training are greatly in demand as summer-camp counselors. Parents are very reassured to hear the counselor knows how to give an Epi-Pen.

SilverLining:

--- Quote from: booandbrimom on February 08, 2013, 02:00:08 PM ---Also, kids with Epi training are greatly in demand as summer-camp counselors. Parents are very reassured to hear the counselor knows how to give an Epi-Pen.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely.  When my son went to a camp with his class, I felt better knowing several of the councellors carried epi-pens.  A few had the same allergy as him.

GoingNuts:

--- Quote from: SilverLining on February 08, 2013, 03:12:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: booandbrimom on February 08, 2013, 02:00:08 PM ---Also, kids with Epi training are greatly in demand as summer-camp counselors. Parents are very reassured to hear the counselor knows how to give an Epi-Pen.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely.  When my son went to a camp with his class, I felt better knowing several of the councellors carried epi-pens.  A few had the same allergy as him.

--- End quote ---

Ditto.

DS had an office job.  Food was not a problem; they had a fridge and many days he brought his lunch, if not there were several safe choice within a few blocks of his office (Chipotle being his fave).  I'm anxious to see where he ends up this summer.

Macabre:
DS is looking to get a job as soon as the musical is over to save up for the traveling speech team in case he makes it (the team coach asked him to try out for it--and spoke to us suggesting he audition, so we think he'll probably get in).

He thinks Marshall's or TJ Maxx "because they hire 15 year olds."  DH and I were talking last night about the interview process and how DS should tell about his peanut allergy after the offer.  It's what I do it, unless it's relevant to my ability to do the job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version