login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Summer/PT jobs with food allergies?  (Read 14631 times)

Description:

Offline buttons

Re: Summer/PT jobs with food allergies?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »
My son has worked summers at his high school for the tech dept and then has gotten some free lance type of work through word of mouth there.  Maybe an arts teacher could have some leads?  I think a grocery story job would be nerve wracking given how things break open, leak, spill, etc.  But not impossible.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 07:57:25 PM »
Well, how nice that you raised this. Today he learned he got a job at a drama camp!

He is also going to mow lawns in our new area and is hoping to work at the State Fair, but I'm worried that might interfere with play rehearsal the week before school and the first week. It is safe, and he has a friend at the same booth.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline buttons

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
Hey, that's great!!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
Bagging groceries at a higher end grocery store that does not have an open bin of peanuts--with a peanut allergy:  tell me your thoughts.

I know I'm late responding, but someone might find my experience helpful...

I am both contact and airborne sensitive and I worked as a checker at a grocery store when I was in high school.  The only problems I had were sometimes my hands would itch/swell/break out (seemed to happen the most with handling bagged candy).  I kept wet wipes with me so I could wipe my hands if they started to tingle/itch and I always kept my hands away from my face (which I would have done anyway handling raw meat packages and money, yuck!).
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »
That's what DS' plan was going to be. I'm glad that worked out for you. That's very helpful to know!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
As it turns out, there is a child with a nut allergy at The camp DS is working at, so the director made the camp nut free. DS called parents before the camp started to remind them to send non-nutty snacks.  He's had one camper in his group being trail mix and had to tell the child it's important to bring a snack without nuts. He said that because they share the rooms and instruments it's important to be sure to keep everyone safe.

:)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
DS is working at the theatre camps all summer. They are nut free, and everyone is Epi trained.

He may work at the same food booth at the state fair that he worked at last summer. It did not have any nuts. It was not vegetarian, however, and DS did very well with that. It was hot and exhausting work, but we didn't hear a single complaint from him.