login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Does anyone go to Outback anymore?  (Read 6928 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

Does anyone go to Outback anymore?
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:14:29 AM »
I know some were uncomfortable with the PB Pie, which they don't seem to have on the local menu anymore. What they do have are "contains or may contain nuts" warnings on some dishes. (it doesn't specify if it contains or may contain-it says both in one sentence). But one has me wondering. It's on the coconut shrimp but I want to find out if the nuts they mean is the coconut or something else. I've been trying to contact them through email and facebook since at least last monday and they have not replied. Normally, if a business ignores me like this I just let it go and never patronize them again but Outback is the only option for us around here (other than fast food and pizza). So I know it's a longshot but has anyone else been able to get an answer about this? Or know of a phone number I can call to find out?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline MandCmama

Re: Does anyone go to Outback anymore?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
It's been awhile, but I phoned our local One directly. They spent a great deal of time on the phone with me and the manager and wait staff were expecting us when we got there.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »
We've always had good attention at our local Outback. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:39:55 PM »
They are always good to us there, but they don't know about actual ingredients of dishes, if that makes sense. They can make sure this doesn't get near that but would they know if the 'may contain' of the shrimp means the coconut? I'm not so sure. I may try calling.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
Corporate was great when I called them. Maybe try that instead of emailing?
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:13 AM »
I called the restaurant today and they assured me it was the coconut and nothing had changed. We went and when we got there, they had had a water problem (no running water) so weren't serving, so we went to Chipotle instead.

There is no phone number on their website that I could find. The only way to contact is through email.  Do you have the corporate number?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline tnmom

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
Outback is one of our go-to restaurants, especially in town.  Ours is super great with my dd's allergies and knows her by name. The kitchen manager always comes out, prepares her food for her, and brings it to our table.  (It helps that he also is pa/ta himself.)

My dd always gets the mac and cheese with extra cheese and eats nearly an entire loaf of the bread.   

I once e-mailed Outback re: the peanut butter dessert (ours doesn't carry it anymore), and they replied to me within a few days and were very understanding and helpful, assuring me it was for a limited time.  It was actually one of the best responses I've ever gotten from a company.  Maybe you'll hear something soon:)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
I'm not holding my breath. I still haven't heard from them and no response on facebook either.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
hmmm...I called a while ago on a different phone, and it looks like they took the number down...:(

I do know that they do have some form of allergy management because the manager told me that at ours. They wipe down, use gloves, etc.

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
They finally told me that the dish that's marked has contact with some kind of tree nut other than coconut. When I asked for clarification I didn't get it. I also never got a reply from sending the message through their website. I don't get the impression that the people who post for them on facebook really know what the policies are. I think it's all CYA, especially since the kitchen manager told us nothing has changed-only the dots added to the menu. We did end up going and even though we hadn't been there in a while, the waitress already knew about dd's allergy and before we even said anything, she wrote nut allergy in huge letters across the top and reassured us she would also let them know verbally. Unfortunately dd heard me talking to dh about it (I swear, I can't get any privacy) and she was nervous the whole time.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »
All the outbacks have told me the bread is unsafe. Is it ok to eat?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
DS is PA only has eaten it every time we go (but we haven't been in two years), but it is not safe for me (sesame).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »
We still go...but also don't eat the bread.   I havent asked about the bread in a while though.  I should try again.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
This is from Outback(dated 8-31-11):

G' Day,

Thank you for the e-mail.  The ingredient statement on our Honey Wheat Bread is:

INGREDIENT LABELING INFORMATION
ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SUGAR, WHEAT BRAN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF EACH OF THE FOLLOWING:, CARAMEL COLOR, YELLOW CORN MEAL, WHEAT GLUTEN, YEAST, SALT, SOYBEAN OIL, WHOLE WHEAT, BLEACHED FLOUR, RYE MEAL, BARLEY FLOUR, VEGETABLE SHORTENING (PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS), HONEY, CALCIUM STEAROYL-2 LACTYLATE, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE , MOLASSES, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, CALCIUM IODATE, CALCIUM PEROXIDE, CALCIUM SULFATE, CALCIUM PROPIONATE (TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS), SULFITE, , ,

Thank you for dining with us,

Jennifer

2nd email:

I neglected to mention in my previous email that the statement from the company that makes our bread states that there is no peanut or peanut product processed in the same plant as the bread.

I hope this helps!

Jennifer

U.S.A.

~George Carlin

Offline yelloww

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
I think we are going there tonight. First visit for us. Will let you know how it goes.