login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Turtle Mountain in 360-degree  (Read 2347 times)

Description:

ninjaroll

Turtle Mountain in 360-degree
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »
We have to open whatever doors we can with so many allergens in our family.  I know Turtle Mountain products well and have read their allergen statements many, MANY times and have lingering concerns.  Now that I live near the facilities or at least the headquarters I'm thinking of sending DH to tour the place, find out more.  Given his discipline they might host him.

Thinking about doing the same with Bob's Red Mill.  Sending DH out there for an actual LOOK not just phone call or policy on the web.

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Turtle Mountain in 360-degree
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »
FYI Enjoy Life just added baking/flour mixes.
http://enjoylifefoods.com/

I might have been just a little bit ridiculously happy ;)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

ninjaroll

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »
Yes, I know.  They do have milk in their facility, however, as does Bob's Red Mill.  I should have toured Enjoy Life when I was in Chicago but I couldn't make the flight in early enough for that tour.

Right now we're getting by on Cravings Place which is a milk free facility but I'd like to add other other grains that Bob's has as well as some of those nearly impossible to replace milk-like things like whipped topping that doesn't put the other child in ridiculous danger.

Turtle Mountain is most likely completely dairy free but full of cashew and peanut.  It's the sort of deal with the devil that makes me want to punch songbirds.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:54:26 PM by ninjaroll »

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 03:04:39 PM »
Baking chocolate and Plentils are, yes.  Not sure about the new baking mixes.  They clean and test for dairy.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

ninjaroll

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 03:49:53 PM »
They clean and test for dairy.

I'm aware, it's just not within my comfort zone because many companies wash and test to pareve standards and I don't know the new conglomerate owners effect in real terms on their manufacturing process or disclosure on new products.  I know for most milk allergic individuals that works.

Turtle Mountain and Bob's Red Mill are the ones I'd like to explore.  For me they are local and I have the chance of nearly full disclosure to make an informed choice.  I'm thinking as scary as those two shared facilities may be that it might not be as feared so long as I know what the cleaning is in more specific terms, what the testing is in more specific terms.  They are also independently owned at the time I write this, I believe.

CM and I live in a rapidly evaporating waterhole in terms of food access to the point of food all around us but very little we can eat.  We have fabulous grocery stores and a wealth of family owned organic farms but negotiating it is like a minefield.  A lot of claims are made to "free of" but you learn scratch the surface plus a few layers underneath or suffer.

Case in point: Burgerville's "peanut free" menu -- oh, we didn't think PB dog treats we hand out with the food should be disclosed to humans because the treats are for dogs. Plus they were gluten free and organic, which of course means... I'm too tired to go expend on BV any more.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:04:20 PM by ninjaroll »

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
I realized after I posted that smelled a bit like the decaying rat smell that won't leave my trashcan.

I do understand more than some, the predicament that MFA brings about.  And you know my trepidation with wheat is much like yours with milk.  I truly didn't mean to sound that way  :grouphug:
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA