Need Advice for National Peanut Butter and Jelly Food Drive

Started by smartin, February 19, 2013, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakeswimr

That's nice. I don't see an end in site to pb at school at this point and he is MFA so even without it there are lots of other allergens around.  You are very right that there is a lot of eating in HS.  I have see plenty of hs students eat where they are not supposed to eat.  Younger kids don't do this.  I'm not sure what my son's future high school is like but if kids are eating this way (anything and everything from what I have seen at other schools) it would seem he would have to pre wipe down his seat and I know he won't do that.  He would find that embarrassing.  I'll find out when the time comes, hu?

504 Mom

I am starting to wonder why the OP has not replied to any of the replies on this thread.  It has been three days, so it seems a little odd that the OP has not been back to check responses to his or her question.  I wonder if it was even a real post.

CMdeux

In many instances, message board queries can take as long as a week (or more) to generate significant response.  It doesn't seem odd to me.

It also doesn't seem odd if the person is genuinely looking to gather INPUTS from the allergic community; that is what this thread is generating.  S/he may not see any particular need to provide additional commentary. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

Methinks your org should develop a system to address nutrition, health and hunger for those in need instead of stock piling 5 metric tons of too often contaminated single legume paste.

QuoteWASHINGTON -- Four former officials of the Peanut Corporation of America were named in a 75-count indictment Thursday on charges related to salmonella-tainted peanuts and peanut products.

The charges cap an inquiry that began in 2009 after the Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control traced a national outbreak of salmonella to a Peanut Corporation of America plant in Blakely, Ga. The plant operated as a roasting facility where PCA produced granulated peanuts, peanut butter and peanut paste, which were sold to customers around the country.

Named in the indictment: brothers Stewart and Michael Parnell, former PCA president and vice president; Samuel Lightsey, plant operations manager; and Mary Wilkerson, plant quality assurance manager.

The Parnell brothers and Lightsey have been charged with conspiracy mail and wire fraud and the introduction of adulterated and misbranded food into interstate commerce. Stewart Parnell and Wilkerson also were charged with obstruction of justice.

"The indictment alleges that PCA officials affirmatively lied to their customers about the presence of salmonella in PCA's products,'' said Stuart Delery, principal deputy assistant attorney general.

Delery also said some officials at PCA, no longer in business, fabricated lab results certifying to customers that the products were salmonella free "even when tests showed the presence of salmonella or when no tests had been done at all.''

The salmonella outbreak sickened 714 people in 46 states and may have contributed to nine deaths, the CDC reported. The illnesses began in January 2009 and led to one of the largest food recalls in U.S. history, involving thousands of products.
An FDA inspection of the plant found dirty, unsanitary conditions. The company's own testing had found salmonella contamination, but it continued to ship its products, according to the FDA.

In some instances, the company had the product tested again by a different laboratory and got a clean test result, FDA officials said.

The government's indictment discloses a series of potentially damning company e-mails in which officials are allegedly ordering the shipment of peanut products despite having not received required salmonella tests results. Others discuss possible causes of actual contamination as "Mice!''

More on what the spirit of inclusion really means later.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview