No More Peanuts in school lunches -- local district

Started by GingerPye, January 29, 2013, 01:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

I just came across this on our local school district's webpage (haven't looked at it for a few weeks):

"Beginning this Friday, January 18, 2013; the XXX XXX elementary school buildings will no longer have peanut/tree nuts on the school menu.
Also, starting this February, if a product is produced in a plant that also processes peanut/tree nuts, an "(N)" will be placed on the lunch menu to identify this processing. While the XXX XXX school lunch program will not serve peanut products, there is no prohibition on peanut/tree nuts coming from home in student lunch boxes."

While this is a step in the right direction, what good does it do when so many kids bring PB&J from home?   And while I was subbing yesterday, the class had "healthy snack" time --- I saw two kids with bags of peanuts and one kid with Reese's cups. 

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

YouKnowWho

I see where they are coming from but at the same time when you have children with other allergies who need to bring in healthy food as well I can see where they might get their noses out of joint.  Well why is PB more important than milk or eggs?  Or what am I supposed to send my child in because PB is the only thing they will eat (texture wise, not necessarily allergy related but other conditions covered under ADA), etc.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Mfamom

I read an article about a neighboring town that implemented a peanut ban sort of on the sly.  I'm going to scan and post the article.
There were letters to the editor as well.  One of the comments was from a teacher who said she was just fine with the ban and happy that she wouldn't have to check anyone's lunch anymore. 
So it just shows that bans really can be slippery slope etc.  people just don't get it.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Mfamom

I do think its great that the school lunch is more open and friendly to kids with PA. 

Also YKW, you always mention the "other" allergies...I get it.  Peanuts get all the attention.  I'm curious what problems you've had in terms of the egg allergy.  What type of avoidance (beside actually eating egg or foods with egg) is necessary in a classroom setting? 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

We've had teachers smash eggs on floors as story props, use powdered pancake complete with powdered egg for airborne fun, and then Easter celebrations tend to be egg heavy on games, crafts as mentioned above. Visits to farms, egg laying and newly hatching chicks. Nasal mist flu vaccinations at school which are a bit more concentrated than the injection though I'm not sure that would be enough to trigger my child. Maybe if it concentrated enough, kids wiping noses, sneezing it out, it's a different event than kids getting their vax individually outside of school at different times.

maeve

Quote from: GingerPye on January 29, 2013, 01:39:25 PM
I just came across this on our local school district's webpage (haven't looked at it for a few weeks):

"Beginning this Friday, January 18, 2013; the XXX XXX elementary school buildings will no longer have peanut/tree nuts on the school menu.
Also, starting this February, if a product is produced in a plant that also processes peanut/tree nuts, an “(N)” will be placed on the lunch menu to identify this processing. While the XXX XXX school lunch program will not serve peanut products, there is no prohibition on peanut/tree nuts coming from home in student lunch boxes."

While this is a step in the right direction, what good does it do when so many kids bring PB&J from home?   And while I was subbing yesterday, the class had "healthy snack" time --- I saw two kids with bags of peanuts and one kid with Reese's cups. 

This was the case at DD's elementary school and it actually works quite well.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

becca

My kids's elementary school stopped serving PN/TN.  I found it very beneficial to our management.  I could now allow her to buy the occasional lunch which she liked.  And I knew there was less PN/TN around, overall, as it also raises awareness.  Sure, some folks will still send it, but others will become more aware and do care, and send it less as well. 

Additionally, our classrooms would send a note home about keeping nuts out of snacks, to try to keep the rooms nut free.  In the cafeteria, kids with certain allergies sat at specific tables.  All seats were assigned(or at least tables were). 

That is a good step for your school GP. 

There is a slippery slope wrt to banning allergens.  we have known children severely anaphylactic to milk on contact, and dd also had egg allergy.  So, while that was still in out mix, she never bought lunch at school.   
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

CMdeux

Quote from: Macabre on January 29, 2013, 10:13:21 PM
Crafts.

Field trips, science activities... holiday activities... EVERY food item pretty much ever sent in, recipes/cooking, and many, many, MANY more.

Egg and milk are a PITA in a classroom in a lot of really intractable ways, because SOME of those uses require actual curricular modifications.  That is, there isn't a legitimately "good" substitution for them.  Eggshells are pretty unique, as is the membrane within the shell. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GingerPye

Yes, we've dealt with the egg and milk allergies as well.  Ice cream for many class parties, cookies, etc.  There even is a classroom paint --- tempera paint in the powder form has egg in it, or at least used to.   A field trip to a dairy farm where the kids helped to feed calves with a bottle of milk.   

So yeah, you can't eliminate all allergens.  I don't know the answer. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

momtoAidenDeclan

Our hot lunches are nut free in our district ...the only bans occur in Kindergarten (the only class that snacks) - if there's an allergy that allergen is banned for snack time (which occurs in the classroom)...they can bring what they want for lunch.  In the older grades they are asked not to bring allergens, specific for their class, in for parties (2/year)....It worked well for us...we had a snack box for those bday treats that came in that ds didn't feel comforable eating...it was requested that there not be snacks for bdays but the board won't back up the principal on enforcement of this "request". ~)
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

ChloeMom

A friend of mine lives in the UK and at her kids' school any kind of nuts are banned from school lunches and they're not allowed to bring any kind of nut product in as a snack/lunch from home. It's just policy now and everyone is fine with it.

YouKnowWho

Quote from: Mfamom on January 29, 2013, 07:55:51 PM
I do think its great that the school lunch is more open and friendly to kids with PA. 

Also YKW, you always mention the "other" allergies...I get it.  Peanuts get all the attention.  I'm curious what problems you've had in terms of the egg allergy.  What type of avoidance (beside actually eating egg or foods with egg) is necessary in a classroom setting?

Can I just say that teachers are generally fabulous about DS2's peanut allergy but DS1's allergy falls off the radar repeatedly putting him at risk?  If this had been DS2 with this allergy and his other issues, he could quite possibly be dead.

Today's email despite having an IHP that says teacher will contact allergic parent before sending out emails regarding projects requiring food?  Who can run to Publix to get BOGO Oreos for the moon phase project next week.  Not, gee Mrs. YKW would this be safe for DS1 to be around all those broken oreos? Or is there a safe option?

See it, taste it, smell it.

Then revive it.  I am over it.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Kelley2522

Ds's school has this same policy. His district (Ankeny) is very allergen aware and even pay attention to what they ask kids to sell for fundraisers.

I've found the no nuts hot lunches to be most beneficial because anyone with a hot lunch can sit at the peanut free table. My son has a lot more friends that are able to eat with him every day.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview