How often to visit the allergist after age 18?

Started by SkyRibbons, October 10, 2013, 08:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyRibbons

My daughter is now 18.  We would visit the allergist every summer, but basically nothing has changed in the last few years.  She's not in high school, so no allergy forms need to be filled out.  The office sent us a reminder to schedule a visit.  How often does she need to go?

Janelle205

My brother, who is now 19, goes twice a year.  He is just environmental allergy maintenance and very mild asthma though, he outgrew his FAs long ago.  Allergist does flu shots for him every 6 months.

I have FAs and asthma, and go every 2-3 months, but this is more for asthma management and prescriptions - I'm on maintenance pred and a controlled substance.

GoingNuts

Good question, SR.   I think Mr. Sinai recommended every 2 years, unless he needs to get his inhalers, etc. renewed - which his pediatrician did (until this year, since he aged out.  We need to find another MD.).

With so many allergy meds being OTC now, it's really eliminated the need for a yearly allergist exam for lots of folks.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

SilverLining

I don't go.

My GP is willing to write my scripts, so as long as nothing changes he's willing to do it this way.

My son (insect, mold, cats) also doesn't see an allergist regularly.  When there is a concern we go.  But the allergist preferred to not repeatedly do scratch tests because every scratch is another exposure.

If that cat shot gets worked out, I would really like him to get it, but it will be his choice.

krasota

I went once a year while I was in college (visits home in the summer).  At some point it petered out.  My GP is willing to write my epi-pen and inhaler 'scripts. I went to see the allergist a few times after my son was born when some new reactions/allergies surfaced. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview