login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: OIT may not produce lasting effects?  (Read 17798 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: OIT may not produce lasting effects?
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
Wow-- that is just horrifying.

As you know, though, we're all about the details...

was this someone who was still dosing daily?  Taking antihistamines?  Ill?  Exercise a factor?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »
She actually reacted twice - first time exercise may have been a factor, as she had been on a long walk after her nightly dose. Second time, no.

This is a teen , BTW, who had no memory of previous Ana reactions as a small child. She had been reaction-free for quite some time.  :-[
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
Just seeing this now.  Wow, GN, three peanut M&Ms a day is what DS has been taking for over a year now.  He has been doing just fine, but hearing this is scary indeed. 
USA

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Scary. FWIW, our allergist does not recommend PN M&M's because the sizes vary so much.  We do 1 TBSP PB or 2 tsp flavored PB daily.

Dd, who had been stable for 2 years, had a reaction that probably should have been epi'd after one of her doses about 6 months ago.  No exercise, but her allergy cup was full, so to speak, after spending all weekend outside.  Couple that with breaks in her gums from her braces and she reacted immediately after her dose one night.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
The trace dose person--I wonder if she might have an as of yet undiagnosed nut allergy to some less common nut and reacted to that rather than peanut xcontam in the baked goods. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2013, 06:37:39 AM »
That would make more sense than reacting to traces of something eaten in larger than trace quantities.  I have always thought if DS does redevelop the allergy, he would react to his maintenance dose.  Reacting to a trace amount while not reacting to the dose does not make sense.
USA

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »
I don't think it makes sense, either.  I think it could happen, perhaps.  My son passed a food challenge and then reacted to small, not trace, amounts of the food and now has a lower threshold for the food.  Very weird.  His threshold level changed wildly in the past 7 years since he had ana to that food, went on the pass a challenge, reacted to tiny amounts, and now can eat more than the tiny amounts that cased that reaction.  We have been told and tend to think that we either grow into or grow out of allergies but my son shows it isn't always a straight line or always that simple.

But in any case I do not think there is any way they can say with certainty that the child reacted to trace peanut.  How can they know it was for sure PEANUT.  A lot of peanut allergic kids are also allergic to one or more tree nuts.  There are some tree nuts that are not commonly used by manufacturers.  I know of several kids who didn't find out they were allergic to a more rarely used nut until they were much older because they just hand't ever eaten something with that particular tree nut in it.  So, I will sit undecided on that story for now. 

Offline Gray

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
My son passed a food challenge and then reacted to small, not trace, amounts of the food and now has a lower threshold for the food.  Very weird.  His threshold level changed wildly in the past 7 years since he had ana to that food, went on the pass a challenge, reacted to tiny amounts, and now can eat more than the tiny amounts that cased that reaction.  We have been told and tend to think that we either grow into or grow out of allergies but my son shows it isn't always a straight line or always that simple.

:yes:  I agree.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:45:08 AM by Gray »
DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.