FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cross contamination  (Read 4520 times)

Description:

Offline LSickler

Cross contamination
« on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:15 PM »
Hi,

I'm new here. So glad to have found you. My son recently went into anaphylactic shock from eating something that was cross contaminated. I am now feeding him all foods from a totally nut free facilities. I am having trouble finding bread and snacks such as granola bars and things.

If anyone has any advice it's greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Cross contamination
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:46 PM »
Welcome!  There is lots of good info on products in the Manufacturer's Thread.

For granola bars, we special order them from Peanutfreeplanet.com.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:01:18 AM »
We use Kellogg brand Nutrigrain bars.

In general, there are some manufacturers who label for shared lines, like  Keebler and General Mills. Between the two of them, you've got a number of snacky things. Dare also (and they have the most amazing sandwich cookies if you can find them in your area).

I'll come back to this thread when I have some more time.

Glad you found us. Welcome!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline brownie

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:08 AM »
Quaker makes some yummy berry and apple ones now!  They are labeled nut-free.  I have only found them at Target around here.  We've gone through many many boxes and they laugh at me when I go to the check out :) 
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline Robert JR

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
Beware of severe allergic reactions to pine nuts from China! My wife has made pesto with pine nuts for years, and I loved it and never had a problem. She would buy the large bags of Kirkland pine nuts from Costco. A large bag would last her a couple of years when stored in the refrigerator.

Then two years ago, she bought a new bag of Kirkland pine nuts from Costco and made pesto. I had an immediate reaction, my throat swelled partially shut and it was hard to breathe after one little bite. I took four Benadryl and a couple of hours later I was fine. I checked the package labeling on the pine nuts and found that it was from China. I was 60 at the time and have never had a nut allergy in my life. A few months later at a family dinner the same thing happened to me when pesto made with the same type of Costco pine nuts was served on noodles without my knowledge. I had a much greater reaction as I consumed a larger portion before I realized the problem, not only did it become hard to breathe but my face around my eyes swelled up as if I had been punched repeatedly. Six Benedryl and a day later I was OK.

Two days later I did a test. We also had a new purchase of Kirkland assorted nut packages in the house, the ones that come in a box of 24 with separated bags of peanuts, almonds, and cashews. We kept them for the kids, but I ate them on occasion. The peanut bags were labeled "processed in China", the others...almonds and cashews were not from China. I ate five peanuts and waited. Within 10 minutes I had a reaction. Two Benadryl and one hour later I was fine.

It is now two years later. I still eat pine nuts, peanuts and every other kind of nut without a single reaction; but I check the label at the store before I purchase. If it is processed in China, I do not buy it. So please be aware, I do not believe that it is the nuts that are the problem. Instead I believe it is something in the processing of the nuts in China that I am allergic too.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:16:18 AM »
Welcome! I would respond by saying that most here do not buy food products from foreign countries save three US and Canada--specifically because of XC and labeling laws.

That said, most folks here are actually dealing with diagnosed peanut or treenut allergies.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »
Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  Perhaps you should talk with the doctor about getting an epipen in case you unexpectedly come across another product that triggers a reaction, and Benadryl might not be enough to control the response?  Reactions might not be the same every time, and you are very lucky that the throat swelling and other serious symptoms subsided with Benadryl.

Welcome to the board!

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
Those symptoms were very serious and potentially life-threatening.  Please see an allergist, get a food allergy action plan, & get/carry epinephrine.  You were lucky that those reactions resolved.  Benadryl does not have life-saving capabilities ...

Here are some links:

"Treatment & Managing Reactions"
http://www.foodallergy.org/treating-an-allergic-reaction
Epinephrine is the only medication that can reverse the symptoms of anaphylaxis.

An antihistamine should never be given as a substitute for epinephrine.

------------------

“All About Anaphylaxis: Understanding the Risks, Symptoms & Treatment”
http://www.foodallergy.org/tools-and-resources/webinars#anaphylaxis
Dr. Wood discussed the risks, symptoms, and treatment of anaphylaxis; dispelled myths

------------------

Tweeted by @AllergicLiving

"Allergist Talks About Anaphylaxis (Severe Allergic Reactions)"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=184oft9bW0s&feature=youtu.be

Antihistamines will never ever ever stop a severe anaphylaxis reaction from progressing. The right thing to do is, as early as possible with one of these episodes, is to use your epinephrine auto-injector

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:40:21 PM by LinksEtc »