imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Homemade bread recipes?  (Read 3202 times)

Description: PA/TNA. Dairy intolerant.

Offline nonuteen

Homemade bread recipes?
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
I tried to do a search but didnt' come up with anything.

Just pulled out my bread machine.  Ready to make some healthy, yummy, homemade bread.  Aside from a basic recipe, I would also like to make a multigrain, maybe seedy bread.  Haven't bought flax or sunflower seeds in awhile.  Does anyone have any PA/TNA safe options?

Thanks!  Excited to have some warm, homemade bread and stop using the grocery store junk.

Offline nonuteen

Re: Homemade bread recipes?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
Want to also add, that I do not exactly love my bread machine and it has not been used in some time.  I have VERY little experience at this so need it to be simple to start!:)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »
I will ask my DH for his recipe (uses dough hooks--no bread machine).  Sometimes our DS (now 14) uses the recipe and does fine.  He's been doing it a few years--in fact did it more a few years ago than now. I tend to screw it up a little, but that's because the kitchen gods are against me. 

Also, I know there are Breadin5 recipes. I don't know a thing about them, but you could check them out here to start with:  http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »
Oh wow--didn't realize it, but I'm going to her restaurant tomorrow.  I won't be eating the bread though, with my sesame allergy.  But I bet I'll be able to tell you how it looks!

Offline paparenttoo

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »
The best bread machine recipe book I have found is The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger.  It is my bible for making homemade bread. The recipes are great to use if you have a KitchenAid mixer, too.  I use my dough hook that came w/my mixer and just bake the bread in my oven.
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Anonymous

DD allergic to peanuts, treenuts, and shellfish
USA

Offline Stinky6

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
we used to have tons of bread recipes....look for posts by Cookingmom - she is a goddess

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »
we used to have tons of bread recipes....look for posts by Cookingmom - she is a goddess

Ditto!

Thanks to her starting me off....I make bread, rolls, pizza crust and bagels using my bread machine.  I think her posts may be on the old FAS which means I think they might be in archives????  Perhaps the moderator can help?

Offline CookingMom

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
You all are so kind!   :smooch:  I haven't been on this site for many months now.  Life has been up and down...I hate to say it but perhaps more down than up.  I just can't find the time or energy to use the computer much anymore.  So today, I thought I'd steal a few minutes for "me time" and check-in.  :yes:

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/1969/start/1

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/1080/start/1

Hope this helps!

Off to make Matzo Crunch...pans & pans of it!  Hopefully, I'll find time to return to my computer sooner than later!
DS - PA, TNA, chick peas (outgrew sesame seeds)
U.S.A.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
CookingMom, you need to come back more often!!  Good to have you here again.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
Here's DH's bread that he makes once or twice a week. He varies it.

Nine-grain Brea

Make sponge: Add 3/4 c. flour and 1/2 c. water to starter and let sit at room temperature until bubbly and nearly double in volume. This may take several (3-6) hours or overnight.

Cook 1/3 c. Bob's 7-grain hot cereal in 1 c boiling water. Let cool while doing next step.

In mixing bowl, stir together 1/4 c. rye flour, 3/4 c. whole wheat flour, 2 c. flour, 1 c. warm water, and let hydrate 20 minutes.

Add soaked grain, 1 t. salt, and 3/4 to 1 c. sponge. Knead about 10 minutes with enough extra flour (1 to 1 1/2 c. more or less) to make a soft dough.

Place in oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise 1-2 hours.

Lift dough out of bowl, fold in thirds, and place back in bowl to rise another 1-2 hours until doubled.

On floured board, divide dough in half and shape two loaves, place on parchment, dust with flour, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until double 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven with heavy baking sheet or stone to 450 F for 30 minutes.

Dust loaves with flour. Score surface of each loaf with one long slash end-to-end or 3-4 diagonal slashes. Slide loaves (still on parchment) onto preheated stone in oven. Quickly pour 1 c. ice cubes on bottom of oven to make steam during first 10-15 minutes of baking.

After 10 minutes reduce temperature to 400.

Bake until bottom is brown and thumps hollow and top is slightly reddish brown, about 20 more minutes.

Cool on rack.