Interviewing and HR and food allergy, oh my...

Started by CMdeux, March 14, 2013, 02:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

So.

WHEN do you mention it?

If someone else brings it up during screening/interviewing (or if you HAVE to do so-- as in "I'm sorry, but no, I can't meet for a mixer at {toxic location}")?

How do you handle it, and why?

Inquiring minds want to know!

:yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

maeve

I wouldn't bring it up until I had an offer letter. While it shouldn't be a factor in a hiring decision, I'm not naive enough to believe that a hiring manager might have a bias against having to deal with it (if they were even aware that it's covered under the ADAAA).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

CMdeux

So if it does come up-- do you address it directly and refer to it as DISABILITY?

I wonder-- because once you have done that, of course, the cat is definitely out of the bag, but on the other hand, it's also been made VERY clear that it can't be a factor in a hiring decision.

It's a difficult question.

Western U.S.

Macabre

Pasting from Teen Jobs thread--and in response to original question.

Quote from: Macabre on March 04, 2013, 09:10:01 AM
DS is looking to get a job as soon as the musical is over....

DS  and I were talking last night about the interview process and how DS should tell about his peanut allergy after the offer.  It's what I do, unless it's relevant to my ability to do the job.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

maeve

Well, any questions about a disability would be verboten during an interview.  Unless you were applying for a food handling position or perhaps childcare, I would not even bring it up during the interview.  In the same way that I wouldn't disclose I were pregnant if I were early enough in the pregnancy that I were not showing.  If there's no need to show your all your cards, then don't.  That goes for things like having children or elderly parents.  Anything that might make a potential employer think that they won't have your undivided attention should be avoided. 

For most positions, food allergy really won't be relevant (at least for most FA folks).

USA-Virginia

CMdeux

A lot depends on the nature of the interview and the setting in which elements of it are conducted, though.

How would you handle a meal?

Western U.S.

nameless

Quote from: CMdeux on March 14, 2013, 04:41:00 PM
A lot depends on the nature of the interview and the setting in which elements of it are conducted, though.

How would you handle a meal?

Right, that's when it becomes a problem. For me anyway - in my round last summer every site visit/interview had an airline ticket and one or two meals. I honestly just dealt with it head on. My airline stuff went through a travel agency, so picking an airline I could fly on wasn't a problem. For meals? I just asked where we were going b/c I had some dietary restrictions. Not "food allergy" but dietary restrictions with no details. I was able to check out the places on the phone, and the night before in person. I figured out what to order and say, working it out AWAY FROM THE TABLE with the manager/server. Everything went smoothly. I would excuse myself from the table --- looked like a ladies room visit. I found the manager and asked them to call the server over. Told them I was on an interview and I didn't want them to hear my schpeal. The waitress took my order as normal, with a wink, and then the manager handled it.

For one interview - a person had gluten allergy, so I didn't hide mine at all.  I think it depends on the environment and type of job. That being said - you can't really say you don't want to do a meal with the interview committee. They use that time to get to know you as a person.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

spacecanada

When I was interviewed for the job I have now, they asked me if I had any disabilities that may affect my work here.  I mentioned the allergies right away and some things I wouldn't be able to do and we set up some potential accommodations right there.  They were perfectly fine with it and thanked me for letting them know.  Upon hiring, I had to complete an emergency contact and medical sheet, so the location of my EpiPens/Allerject went on that should anyone who does not know me have to refer to that sheet.  Since then, everyone has been really understanding and even curious, so it's been a great way to teach people about severe food allergies. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

maeve

spacecanada,
It is illegal in the United States to ask about a disability during the hiring process.  It might be different in Canada.  That's not to say that you might not get a hiring manager who asks that sort of question, so you'd need to have a way to answer it. 

I've never had an interview that involved a meal.  DH was just part of a team interview process at his office last week and none of the half dozen or so interviews involved a meal. However, as nameless related, it does happen and she developed a very savvy plan to deal with it.

USA-Virginia

CMdeux

Every interview that I have been on since I was 18 has involved a meal.

It is definitely illegal to use disability as a hiring criterion-- BUT-- they can ask in the manner that Spacecanada has indicated.  That is, "is there any reason why you would be unable to perform the duties associated with this position?"  This is a blanket question and it's not illegal--

You can answer it with:

No, if the position has been described fully and accurately to me, I shall have no problem fulfilling the duties associated with this position.

No.

My hidden disability should not pose any difficulties in light of the position's description.

The latter MAY be useful if you suspect that there are things that they are NOT including in the position description.  Mostly, this question is used at larger institutions where HR is the one asking it-- not the hiring/selection committee.  It's NOT appropriate for the selection committee to have detailed information about a candidate's religion, disability status, etc. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview