FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: IGE Results Climbing  (Read 5251 times)

Description:

forvictoria

IGE Results Climbing
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »
Hi,
My first allergic reaction to shrimp back in Oct 2011 was whole body hives. When I got tested my IGE for shrimp was .36 I know the IGE results cannot predict severity of reaction, but since then every IGE result has been higher than the ones before and now it is .68 very close now to be a level 2.

I have not eaten fish or any shellfish since Oct 2011. I am very careful of what and where I eat. I have not eaten in any restaurants, and buy only kosher food now and food from trader joes only after I have consulted with their customer service  to make sure the item has not been made on shared equipment.

Does anyone know what would make my numbers go up like this?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: IGE Results Climbing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:41:02 PM »
Ummmm... well, depending upon what the units are there?

No offense, but I'm kind of chuckling that you consider that to be a real "rise" in IgE.  My DD's peanut IgE numbers have never been lower than 18.  Yeah-- no decimal point.  Mostly, they've been off-scale.  On the other hand, her other numbers drift all over the place.

I understand that some people tend to just have very low IgE, but mostly, those values tend to be +/- 0.5 kU/L anyway, so who knows what it means...

and even if it were real (which isn't something that one can really say, as noted, since on a different day that same blood draw might result in a number quite different)...

IgE goes up... it goes down... it stays the same...

because...

nah.  Just kidding.  I got nothin' here.  If there IS a legitimate reason why IgE values go up and down, nobody knows what it is.  I've always voted on the tides.  Weather patterns in Spain are another popular choice, as it the price of tea in Beijing.   ;)

Remember, IgE is just a number-- it's not the allergy itself.  So it doesn't necessarily mean anything about your allergy one way or the other. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
Cockroaches or dust mites:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/705252_5

But I agree with CM...that change in numbers is not really a change at all.

You say "every change" like you've had a number of RAST tests done since then. Any reason why? If you have evidence of a true allergy, why keep repeating the test?

Maybe it's time to consider a blinded food challenge if you're not sure the source of the hives was shellfish. After all, the hives could have been viral and the food you ate at the time completely coincidental.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

forvictoria

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »
Ummmm... well, depending upon what the units are there?

No offense, but I'm kind of chuckling that you consider that to be a real "rise" in IgE.  My DD's peanut IgE numbers have never been lower than 18.  Yeah-- no decimal point.  Mostly, they've been off-scale.  On the other hand, her other numbers drift all over the place.

I understand that some people tend to just have very low IgE, but mostly, those values tend to be +/- 0.5 kU/L anyway, so who knows what it means...

and even if it were real (which isn't something that one can really say, as noted, since on a different day that same blood draw might result in a number quite different)...

IgE goes up... it goes down... it stays the same...

because...

nah.  Just kidding.  I got nothin' here.  If there IS a legitimate reason why IgE values go up and down, nobody knows what it is.  I've always voted on the tides.  Weather patterns in Spain are another popular choice, as it the price of tea in Beijing.   ;)

Remember, IgE is just a number-- it's not the allergy itself.  So it doesn't necessarily mean anything about your allergy one way or the other.

I understand, I didn't know it was common for the ige resutls to vary. I was concerned about it because I got such a severe reaction to 1 shrimp at .36  KU/L(immunocap) normal being <.35 KU/L I thought it indicated something important that it was reaching moderate level

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
Nah-- and as you already know, having a low IgE value doesn't mean (at all) having a "minor" allergy.  <shudders>

I wish all those numbers did mean something.  Sometimes I feel like there isn't much difference between going over RAST result with the allergist and consulting a fortune teller with tea leaves.  LOL.

Western U.S.

forvictoria

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Cockroaches or dust mites:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/705252_5

But I agree with CM...that change in numbers is not really a change at all.

You say "every change" like you've had a number of RAST tests done since then. Any reason why? If you have evidence of a true allergy, why keep repeating the test?

Maybe it's time to consider a blinded food challenge if you're not sure the source of the hives was shellfish. After all, the hives could have been viral and the food you ate at the time completely coincidental.

I had my first immuncap testing 6 weeks after I had the reaction. My husband wanted me to redo them again afew months later becuase it was so low, to make sure it wasn't an error. So I did.
 I wasn't happy with my allergist, and found another one who ran a series of immuncap allergy tests, so this is 3 tests so far. Then I had the shrimp component test from PIRL/Phadia, which also gives the total IGE, and I have been going to my ENT lately due to an inner ear disease I have, which there is no known cure or cause but they suspect possibly a virus or allergies may cause it so she ran a whole series of allergy tests on me.

The first 3 tests came back normal for dust mites and cockraoches, the last 2 came back postive for them along with shrimp.

Thats the thing we are not sure if it is a true shrimp allergy, the component test for the protein came back normal <.10

I am told I am not a candidate for a food challenge due to the fact I take a beta blocker.
I was just confused about all this and will not be seeing my allergist for a bit until I get my inner ear issues to level off, due to vertigo attacks etc.

Medscape says my password is wrong so I havne't read the article yet, but will

I do appreciate that you both your cleared it up for me.,.about the results etc. Thank you
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:44:21 PM by forvictoria »

Offline starlight

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
Have you had a skin test? Do you have any other allergies you know about for sure (food or environmental)?

I hate to make things even more confusing to you, but some shrimp is very high in histamine, making it possible to have an allergic reaction to shrimp without actually having a shrimp allergy. Just something to run by your allergist. 

forvictoria

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
Have you had a skin test? Do you have any other allergies you know about for sure (food or environmental)?

I hate to make things even more confusing to you, but some shrimp is very high in histamine, making it possible to have an allergic reaction to shrimp without actually having a shrimp allergy. Just something to run by your allergist.

Thanks starlight. I think that may be my case. I am allergic to cockroaches and dust mites. I beleive I have enviornmental allergies because every spring and even more so in autumn, my eyes tear terribly, I get dizzy and I lose my voice at times, but so far testing for them coems back negative. 

My allergist said I cannot have skin tests due to being on a beta blocker which is a blood pressure pill, beta blockers can make allergic reactions more severe and may stop the epi pen from working effectively, since beta blockers block epinephrine.

I tried changing by BP meds to several different ones, but I need a beta blocker to reduce my heart rate. No other other BP meds  reduces the heart rate except for calcium channel blockers and when I tried those I had a bad reaction.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:14:22 PM by forvictoria »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 11:08:20 PM »
Have you been skin tested just with histamine and a saline control?

That might be something to try-- because there should be virtually NO anaphylaxis risk there, and it would tell you whether or not you seem to be particularly sensitive to histamine.

If you are, then it might make sense to try a super-diluted serum to skin test you for shrimp.  (Again, a .01x dilution should pretty much eliminate most anaphylaxis risk.)

It would sure be good to know whether you are actually at risk of anaphylaxis given the beta blockade, YK?

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 12:20:08 AM »
Obviously everyone is different, but I'm on a beta blocker (to control an irregular heartbeat) and I have been skin tested by more than one allergist.  I don't know about your situation, but none of my allergists have expressed concern about the beta blocker in regards to skin testing, and I'm probably a pretty high risk - severe asthma, multiple allergies with a history of anaphylaxis from small amounts, and multiple anaphylactic reactions to allergy shots.

It could depend which beta-blocker you are on, as well.  I used to be on Toprol, but now take Bystolic.  It is way more expensive, but I only have to take it once a day (had to take the other twice) and my doc says that it is supposed to have less negative effects on asthma and the like.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
Obviously everyone is different, but I'm on a beta blocker (to control an irregular heartbeat) and I have been skin tested by more than one allergist.  I don't know about your situation, but none of my allergists have expressed concern about the beta blocker in regards to skin testing, and I'm probably a pretty high risk - severe asthma, multiple allergies with a history of anaphylaxis from small amounts, and multiple anaphylactic reactions to allergy shots.

It could depend which beta-blocker you are on, as well.  I used to be on Toprol, but now take Bystolic.  It is way more expensive, but I only have to take it once a day (had to take the other twice) and my doc says that it is supposed to have less negative effects on asthma and the like.

Same here on all counts.  DS and I are both on atenolol for different irregular heartbeats, and have both been skin tested - by different docs BTW, without concern of anaphylaxis.  And like Janelle, I am considered high risk as I have had dramatic skin reactions, have asthma (as does DS) and have anaphylaxed from allergy shots.

Good luck figuring it all out - this stuff can really be a bear to parse out when it isn't clear cut.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

forvictoria

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »

Same here on all counts.  DS and I are both on atenolol for different irregular heartbeats, and have both been skin tested - by different docs BTW, without concern of anaphylaxis.  And like Janelle, I am considered high risk as I have had dramatic skin reactions, have asthma (as does DS) and have anaphylaxed from allergy shots.

Good luck figuring it all out - this stuff can really be a bear to parse out when it isn't clear cut.

I guess all doctors are different in their approach. But all the information I have read cautions about it.

This is the statement from AAAI;
http://www.aaaai.org/Aaaai/media/MediaLibrary/PDF%20Documents/Practice%20and%20Parameters/Adrenergic-blockers-and-IT-2002.pdf

"Case reports, however, have suggested that a systemic reaction to allergen vaccines, as well as to drugs, foods, insect stings, testing material and otheragents, may occur with greater frequency and be more difficult to treat in patients receiving beta-blockingagents."

forvictoria

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »
Have you been skin tested just with histamine and a saline control?

That might be something to try-- because there should be virtually NO anaphylaxis risk there, and it would tell you whether or not you seem to be particularly sensitive to histamine.

If you are, then it might make sense to try a super-diluted serum to skin test you for shrimp.  (Again, a .01x dilution should pretty much eliminate most anaphylaxis risk.)

It would sure be good to know whether you are actually at risk of anaphylaxis given the beta blockade, YK?

No I haven't, but I will ask my Allergist about it for sure. Thank you.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
I've had three (or two--can't remember) tests for shellfish. I was adult onset--first reaction in 2005.  I haven't been tested in a while, but I plan to be this year.  Cool thing: I have seen my crab number go down to zero and shrimp and lobster go down.  I'm hoping I'm "outgrowing" them.

Sesame was also onset then and doesn't seem to be changing. 

However, for shellfish, I have these really strange GI reactions. My allergist (before we moved) thought it was possible it was related to the proton pump inhibitor I was taking when I developed the allergy and maybe my gut is healing now. 

I do know my reactions to shellfish have been less severe in the last couple of years.  :)

Sesame though--not so much (and I don't have GI only symptoms with sesame--I present more typically for that allergy). 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

forvictoria

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
I've had three (or two--can't remember) tests for shellfish. I was adult onset--first reaction in 2005.  I haven't been tested in a while, but I plan to be this year.  Cool thing: I have seen my crab number go down to zero and shrimp and lobster go down.  I'm hoping I'm "outgrowing" them.

Sesame was also onset then and doesn't seem to be changing. 

However, for shellfish, I have these really strange GI reactions. My allergist (before we moved) thought it was possible it was related to the proton pump inhibitor I was taking when I developed the allergy and maybe my gut is healing now. 

I do know my reactions to shellfish have been less severe in the last couple of years.  :)

Sesame though--not so much (and I don't have GI only symptoms with sesame--I present more typically for that allergy).

I hope you are outgrowing them! all other shellifsh for me has always been negative, Shrimp has been the only one coming back postive until last 2 tests, then it was shrimp and cockroaches, and on last test just last month from my ENT, dust mites, cockroaches and shrimp.

Months before I broke out into hives from eating 1 shrimp I starting taking a proton pump inhibitor for the first time. I have always wondered if that laid the ground work for my reaction to shrimp. I have read that if you eat somethng you don't eat on a regualr basis and take an proton pump inhibitor medication, the body can think it is being attacked by something bad and hence the allerigc reaction.