FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Foreign langauge chef cards?  (Read 3703 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Foreign langauge chef cards?
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
Is it better to just find someone who is a reasonably fluent speaker?

I hate to rely on some for-profit website that I know nothing about.   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline eragon

Re: Foreign langauge chef cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
I think it would depend on how they would translate. Fluency doesn't necessarily dictate specialty vocab, in this case medical. Sometimes people understand more than they can technically constuct on their own.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
Wow-- THANK YOU, Eragon!

http://allergyaction.org/translations/

Awesome, and just what I was looking for.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
And just because your somewhere doesn't mean your chef speaks that language.  LOTS and LOTS of migrant kitchen workers in Europe.

Offline eragon

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »
there are lots of migrant workers in every country, but using a translation card in the countries language will mean that someone in the staff will be able to read it and understand it. However, the more important judgement comes after that.

and if all goes well stay, but if gut feeling means too much doubt, leave and try another.

stick to resturants that cook that countries food as well, to increase chance of being understood, as its the ethnic resturants that have a higher than normal amount of migrant workers. Thats pretty easy in france and england, ireland etc.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
It was one of the things that stuck me about Europe as a North American.  We just don't get that same level of diversity because people here can't travel and work with the kind of freedom you can in the EU.  Europe doesn't seem to have the level of mass market chain restaurants we have which is wonderfully refreshing. 

Indian food in Englahd  :heart: :heart: :heart:  We actually found a local place with a chef that lived and cooked in England for 20 years.   :heart: :heart: :heart: