FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: the new nurse  (Read 2916 times)

Description:

Offline hopechap

the new nurse
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:13:02 PM »
New school nurse: Does he use it a lot? Epipen?
Me: No. In fact, I have never used it. I should have once, but luckily the reaction that warranted it resolved.
NN: Does his lip swell?
me: That has not been a symptom but his reactions have been different. First reaction - full body hives. In hospital challenge - no hives at all - stomach upset, coughing, flu-like symptoms. Expect any number of different symptoms -- always question if what is ailing him might be an allergic reaction.
NN: I know about allergic reactions. I am allergic to shellfish. My lips swell up if I eat shrimp. So I do not eat too many - I cannot have too many shrimp.

Do you think she has OAS or should I let her know that it is not a good idea to eat ANY shrimp or is it none of my business?

signed, unreassured parent.

twinturbo

Re: the new nurse
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
hope, the big, bad, needs corrective action here is she's using herself as a basis for your child's medical needs. Naw, I wouldn't try to correct her interpretation of her own issue with shrimp. I'd reboot the whole affair to orient it on your child.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »
AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I HATE this type of response. "I just drink lots of water" or "I put the allergen to the tip of my tongue" "I throw it up and then feel better"

I completely agree with Twinturbo--focus on your child. She's a lost case. Invoke your child's signed allergy action plan from the allergist. The requirements for *your* child and what you expect in the response for your child.

Sometimes I will mention that my mother has a different level of response in treating her allergies and that when she tried to use the same level on DS1, she nearly killed him. She won't ever be allowed with him alone. We are shaped by our past experience and I cannot afford for multiple folks to go through a learning curve with allergies at his expense. Use the action plan. Follow the action plan.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »
the big, bad, needs corrective action here is she's using herself as a basis for your child's medical needs.

This needs to be LARGE and in NEON!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:55:45 AM »
P.S. I meant that in the most supportive way possible. Reading it now it could be leaning towards imperative.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Yeah, I would want to meet with her again with plan in hand and explain that these are the directions from your child's allergist and that if your child has any of those symptoms she is to follow the plan.  and as you said, she should consider any time your child is ill whether it might be FAs.  I would also try to find something to print out that says that reactions and and do change from one exposure to the next so it is important to be aware of the signs of ana and to be prepared for them all (for the purpose of keeping your child safe.  If it helps wake her up that's great, too.)  My child's former school nurse got much more careful about her ana allergies as a result of talking to me even though I didn't talk about her and what she was doing.  She thanked me for making her more aware.

Normally I do say something to a person at least ONE time -- something simple.  But in this case you need her to treat your child's FAs properly so reeducating her about YOUR child is top priority. Unfortunately if you try to convince her to think of her own FAs differently she may think you are nutty and discount what you say. 

Offline hopechap

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:33 PM »

Unfortunately if you try to convince her to think of her own FAs differently she may think you are nutty and discount what you say.

THIS ! truetruetrue   Thanks. all. Now I have got it.