login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pi Day  (Read 6008 times)

Description: Really? When does it END!?

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
Pi Day
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »
I just got an email from my son's 9th grade math teacher telling me that the kids are bringing in various baked goods to celebrate Pi Day!  WHAAAAT?
She means well...she told the kids no peanut butter, no nuts etc.  but I seriously cannot believe we're still dealing with this crap in HS.
The last pi day was in 6th grade and I got the crazy email from the teacher who was trying to be funny.
So, heads up to everyone, Tomorrow is Pi day.  Be sure to ask your kids if teachers are planning a celebration in honor of this most important math holiday....
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mookie86

Re: Pi Day
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
Pi Day is a big deal here.  It starts in late elementary school.  I don't know about the high school, but it continues throughout middle school.  Kids sign up to bring in different types of pie and they have a party. 

I celebrate it at my house.  We'll have pizza pie for dinner tomorrow night, and I'll pick up a pie for desssert.

Of course, at school the food is problematic with FAs (or for other reasons), so I'm sorry this issue has followed you to high school.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
Right-o.

So the students couldn't possibly learn or retain the facts about

without some of this

Hmmmmmm . . . .

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:03:48 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »
lol, ajas.  When early elementary school did a worm unit, they did chocolate pudding (dirt) with gummy worms.  ~)  But the teacher paid the price with a very difficult afternoon after the kids had all that sugar. <----- insert evil grin, we need an evil grin emoticon
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:08:47 PM by Mookie86 »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 01:07:28 PM »
There is sooooo much more food in high school than middle school in our experience. Sigh.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
well, I have found that there is waaaaay less classroom food in MS and HS than elem. but there is still lots of food brought into the mix in different ways.
After the Orchestra concert during the Holidays, the music teacher asked why we didn't stay and participate in the "bake sale" by bringing something and why my ds did not sell any of the crap in the Fundraiser Magazine
I told him that we don't buy baked goods for a variety of reasons and that the Peanut Butter blossoms and the walnuts on the brownies sent ds for the door after the concert.
I also told him that we have NO desire to deal with nutty chocolate orders etc.  I did send in a donation to the music dept for $25
there are a lot of afterschool bake sales and vending machines full of nutty crap in the cafeteria.  My ds just stays away from people eating that stuff.  I don't get so worked up about the food at "optional" events because I feel that he has control over it (he can stay or leave) whereas when it is in his classroom it is different. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline yelloww

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »
Our PI day last year involved a contest where the winner was the kid who memorized the most digits for Pi. The winner got a no-homework pass (8th grade).

There's Pi day poetry- we read Pi poems last year. Plenty of ways to do this without actual PIE.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
well, to add insult to injury, seems like more of an excuse to try and make math FUN!  and have a party.  teacher noted the items being brought in brownies, a giant cookie, cupcakes.   Not one mention of pie.

totally stupid these kids are 14 and 15 years old.  enough with the Pi day

Committee Member Hermes

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
I think that when you get right down to it, celebration of "Pi Day" are simply irrational.   :coffee:

:evil:   
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
PI day here too.  Sigh!                 DD will not be eating anything!

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »
DD's science class did an experiment (I think related to heat transfer) that involved making s'mores.  They ate them when they were finished.  Yum.  Just what I want to eat, food made in a science lab.~)
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
The infamous "Christmas" chem lab at my high school will make pretty much EVERYONE on this board shudder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, really.  I am absolutely CONFIDENT that health and safety concerns would mean that this could never gain approval as a proposed lab now-- I mean, aside from allergy concerns, that is-- but I do recall scrubbing and scrubbing during our prep work for the experiment... because we used our regular laboratory glassware.     :misspeak:

DD also wants to add that we should all just be grateful that there isn't a day devoted to i.  Because the foodfest around that would be downright unreal. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
CMdeux,
I'm pretty sure now that you and your daughter might need to be bailed out of some jail somewhere overseas pretty soon.  Make sure you take our numbers with you, LOL!   :coolbeans:

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to turn 3.14 into 504.

Or something like that.   ;D

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
Seriously, my high school science teacher would have had a fit about eating anything in the classroom.  It just was not done in the lab.  Not safe.

But we still did a decent amount of really cool projects, none of which involved food.  Made hot air balloons, vinegar and baking soda boats made from soda bottles, and we always had a competition of who could sculpt the best mole out of a mole of aluminum foil on mole day.  We did a lot of cool experiments too, which very rarely involved food, and when they did, it was never eaten.

Of course, I think that my science teacher was amazing in most ways.  I went to a tiny school, and she taught seven different classes a day, from 7th grade science through all of the high school classes.  She taught so many science classes that we had to offer physics and chemistry in alternating years because there wasn't enough time in her day to do both.