please help me with this parent information leaflet.

Started by eragon, March 21, 2013, 08:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eragon

I a doing the last 2 modules of my early years education BA, and one module is on inclusion.
Part of the module is to make a leaflet for parents on an inclusion subject.

It has to feature legislation and law i can just about do that for us in UK.

and 3 links to learning theories ( this , apart from maslow may be the stumping part!)

when you enrolled your allergic child in to pre-school or any setting under 7yrs, (if you did) were you  handed a leaflet from the setting leader?
what information did you find most useful/ and reassuring?

My son was the first to enter pre-sch and nursery with allergies, well, certainly with  multiple allergy problems etc. So we didnt get any idea as parents what to expect or ask staff. They seemed lost as well.

I have never seen a leaflet like this, and its certainly something that I think should be out there.

if you have seen a leaflet like this, can you describe it to me?!!!

can you please add something that you would like to see on such a leaflet, or something that would have helped you as a parent?

thanks.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

CMdeux

I have not seen one either, but I think it is a TERRIFIC idea.

SO this is a leaflet FOR parents?  Or for teachers?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

CMdeux

Okay, so when my DD entered a daycare setting that had partnership ties to HeadStart here in our county, there were clearly regulations in place re: inclusion and safety for disabled children.

They did a TRAINING day-- which I was invited to attend, and which was offered by the local public health nurse (I lucked out there in that she HAS a child with a FA)...  they trained carers on how to recognize anaphylaxis, how to treat it, and then went through particular allergens and where they might be encountered (relying on me for some information-- for example, wheat and play-do).  DD's particular history was an important part of the educational module.

They discussed ways of keeping my DD safe, and then all practiced with trainers, etc.

Western U.S.

eragon

yes, this is FOR parents.
to explain the whole process, training, treatment plans, inclusion, etc.

am going to add our uk inclusion and disability laws. a helpful section of web sites.

but need to add 3 learning theories, which for the time being, apart from maslow H of needs, is proving tricky.

adding some verbal and emotional inclusive points for the child.

I dont think  this subject  has ever been done before for this module, so its a bit of a gamble. but quite frankly if I get it right I am going to bloody well use it in a setting in the future!!
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

CMdeux

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

eragon

Thanks!
LOTS of help there.

it is now starting to form.

have added to the inclusion and emotional support area, but will add the celebration inclusion as well.
perhaps add that setting has seperate policy for food brought in by parents, and that it has to be approved as fit for all before entering the setting by leaders. (who in this case are on the ball with allergies.)

am sure I could add that bloody piaget chap again. yeah agree with some of his stuff, but really, wish i hadnt bothered reading his work enough to recognise what a man of his time he was.....frobel was a bit of an eye opener as well. anyway...........drifting from subject.....

will show everyone the result if i get good marks for it!! ha ! ha!

please everyone keep adding some tips!
thanks.

CMdeux

LOL-- I happen to agree with you on Piaget-the-dude's finer (er, or 'not so' finer) qualities...

I'm sure this is going to be a GREAT  project, eragon!

One more thing-- offer some ideas about safety without exclusion during educational activities-- for example, in the training session that I referred to, the brainstorming session included ALL stake-holders in generating solutions-- for example, during sensory activities like playing with clay, my DD was obviously not able to play with "standard" play-do, but she was included by having her OWN seat at the end of the table in a high-chair (well, a chair with its own tray for 'work' and teachers were vigilant to avoid 'sharing' of materials and keeping kids seated rather than letting them wander.  DD had a reserved carpet square that nobody else used-- hers was a different color than the rest, and teachers helped her to choose it for circle time, but without drawing attention by commenting.

KWIM?

That way, there was social inclusion with the least amount of risk.

Western U.S.

eragon

thanks. have added 'change of physical environment ' with regard to allergy awareness in planning and curriculum .

social food aspect going to form a complete new food policy added in to mix.

I think this leaflet, designed for parents will educate the early years practitioners on the best way to include an allergic child into a setting!   

I had BETTER get some good marks for this, will make a fuss if I dont. esp if I think its through allergy ignorance!

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview