This Year's Visit to Mt. Sinai

Started by GoingNuts, March 19, 2013, 04:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

So, here are the highlights from this year's visit:

• Since last year's skin and blood tests indicated that DS might be a good candidate for an almond challenge, they repeated that.  The skin test looked good, and if the blood tests support it he'll schedule an almond challenge when he gets home from school in May.  Trying not to get too excited, but this has great potential. I wish he wanted to do chick peas too, since I'd love to resume having them in the house.  Selfish mommy. :hiding:

• He again opted not to do the peanut component test, because since he's still allergic to all TN (except possibly almond, which is really a drupe) he felt it really wouldn't change his life much.  He felt that the majority of things he'd want that are X-contam with PN are also X-contam with TN, so why bother?  And why take a chance on something that is labelled as X-contam for PN, and may be X-contam for TN but not appropriately labeled?  I agree.  Not much point for him right now

• Got an rx for AuviQ, and had fun playing with the trainer.  DS thinks they should get celebrities to do the voice overs; we entertained ourselves imagining the possibilities.  Samuel L. Jackson's character from Pulp Fiction had us howling with laughter.

Can't remember if there are any further highlights, as my head has been slamming since I opened my eyes this morning.   Barometric Pressure + Allergies + Hormones = Misery.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Macabre

Oh, I hope you feel better. Glad it was a good appointment!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Samuel L. Jackson's character from Pulp Fiction had us howling with laughter.

I so want a Dalek voice for mine.

;D
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GoingNuts

Darth Vader
Jim Carrey's Animal Detective
Maggie Smith's Dowager from Downton Abbey

The possibilities are endless.  ;D
N.E. US

Mookie86

Glad the appointment went well.  How exciting that he might be eligible for a food challenge!  I hope the blood test leads to the next step.

If he has a food challenge, does he need to be off antihistamines for the food challenge?  If so, would you want to postpone the appointment until summer?

As for voiceovers, wow Pee Wee Herman would be annoying.

GoingNuts

How about Bert and Ernie for the young 'uns?

Ys, of course we will time the challenge foe when he can manage without antihistamines for a week, but given how busy they are there we will call to schedule it ASAP.

And now a vent:  He went out to dinner tonight and did not take his epipens.  When I challenged him on that, he justified it by saying that he ordered something he's had before at a resttaurant he's eaten at many times.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  I have him all sorts of scenarios that could have led to a reaction, and he got very defensive.  I hope he's doing a better job up at school.

So, at what age does that frontal lobe finally mature?  Yeah, I'll be totally gray by then.  ~)
N.E. US

GoingNuts

Quote from: GoingNuts on March 19, 2013, 09:50:59 PM
How about Bert and Ernie for the young 'uns?

Yes, of course we will time the challenge foe when he can manage without antihistamines for a week, but given how busy they are there we will call to schedule it ASAP.

And now a vent:  He went out to dinner tonight and did not take his epipens.  When I challenged him on that, he justified it by saying that he ordered something he's had before at a resttaurant he's eaten at many times.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  I gave him all sorts of scenarios that could have led to a reaction, and he got very defensive.  I hope he's doing a better job up at school.

So, at what age does that frontal lobe finally mature?  Yeah, I'll be totally gray by then.  ~)
N.E. US

twinturbo

CMdeux

Recent studies suggest that the magic number is (as evidently car rental agencies had determined using only actuarial science, curiously)....

about 26yo, at least as a 90th percentile of people.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

PurpleCat

Any chance girls hit that milestone before 26?  YIKES!

GoingNuts

Got the RAST results back with no surprises.  Almond still a little high; waiting for a call back to see if they still feel a challenge is warranted, or not.  The value could contain some background noise from Birch, which continues to be quite high.

I'll keep y'all posted.
N.E. US

GoingNuts

Got the call, the almond challenge is a go. Will probably schedule for mid-summer when the pollen is lower since he has to be off antihistamines for a week.
N.E. US

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Mookie86

Great news!  I hope the next step also gets the desired result.  :crossed:

Did I read right that he's doing a challenge after good RAST results?  They don't SPT?  I'm curious about the different ways doctors do things, so that's why I'm asking.

GoingNuts

N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview