What do you think of this? I am not the least convinced.

Started by lakeswimr, March 20, 2013, 07:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakeswimr

http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/peanut-oil-in-vaccines-behind-widespread-peanut-allergy-epidemic/

In his book The Doctor Within, Dr. Tim O'Shea argues that vaccines are largely responsible for both the advent and increased prevalence of peanut allergy, noting that many vaccines and even antibiotic drugs contain excipients derived from peanut oil. Since it is a relatively inexpensive oil to produce, refined peanut oil became widely adopted as an excipient of choice in the production of vaccines during the 1960s, and it is still widely used today for this purpose.

booandbrimom

Oh, it's a walk through the lands of old...

http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/how-many-pa-sufferers-have-been-vaccinated

2001, although I remember one from even earlier about peanut oil and adjuvants.

A Merck vaccine additive from the 60's doesn't explain the allergy spike in the 90's.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

booandbrimom

lakeswimr

That's an old thread.  Before my time!  Would you please explain your last line in your first post.  Do you mean that peanut oil was used by Merck in the 1960s as an adjuvant and hasn't been used since then? 

I have a friend who thinks this article has THE cause of PA.  The part where it talks about vaccines teaching our bodies to treat certain things like invaders and to attack them makes me stop and thing a bit but when people who have had a vaccine to a particular disease encounter the disease their bodies don't go into ana as a result so I guess things are a lot more complicated than that. 

I just don't like the idea that someone is speaking so authoritatively on something that experts in the field agree we don't know the cause of yet. 

CMdeux

Why didn't I, boo?

Because... er...

my doc WON'T give it to me without checking my titer first, which insurance refuses to cover since I'm not in a "high risk" occupation?

I did vaccinate my DD, incidentally, and DH has had them.  We suspect that I'm probably immune, and because of other atopic conditions... doc won't do it "unnecessarily." 

It's a long, painful story, basically.  I dread having this come up again once I'm over the big 5-oh, since I'm also not sure if I'm supposed/permitted to get a shingles vax at that point, either.

But I have bugged the doc about it about every 3-4 yrs.  Answer seems to have settled on "we need to check your titer with your Hx of eczema."
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

booandbrimom

Well, how DARE you!

;)

Lakeswimmr, the Merck adjuvant is still used but not very widely anymore. It's been a while since I did the research into all this stuff, but it was only in a couple of vaccines back in the early 2000s and probably less now.

It just doesn't fit the pattern IMO.

And I think that, after 18 years, I am officially burned out on discussing vaccines.

CMdeux

Quote from: lakeswimr on March 20, 2013, 08:55:16 PM
That's an old thread.  Before my time!  Would you please explain your last line in your first post.  Do you mean that peanut oil was used by Merck in the 1960s as an adjuvant and hasn't been used since then? 

I have a friend who thinks this article has THE cause of PA.  The part where it talks about vaccines teaching our bodies to treat certain things like invaders and to attack them makes me stop and thing a bit but when people who have had a vaccine to a particular disease encounter the disease their bodies don't go into ana as a result so I guess things are a lot more complicated than that. 

I just don't like the idea that someone is speaking so authoritatively on something that experts in the field agree we don't know the cause of yet.

Ahhhhh, but see, ONLY someone who doesn't understand much about the immune system's dual nature would make that kind of statement to start with.  No immunologist would purport that vaccination COULD cause atopic disease.  It's two different types of response, and it's not clear that the two things are even directly tied to one another.

In fact, if you EXPOSE an atopic person to parasites (which is what the IgE-attack mode seems to have developed to do), in some cases, you can vastly IMPROVE their atopy.

So an inoculation can help if you are challenging the immune system with the right kind of trigger (hookworms)....

but it's not at all clear why anything about a vaccine for a viral pathogen would hurt that system.  It shouldn't interact with it in the first place.  KWIM?

Now, if it's about peanut oil as an adjuvant... oh, wait-- I see Boo has covered this one already.   ;D

Let's just say I share her fatigue-- and your skepticism, which I see as entirely healthy here.  LOL.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

lakeswimr

I don't know that much about it myself.  I'm not a doctor or a researcher.  But the things in that link just do not make sense to me meaning I don't see how they could be true. 

I have heard of hook work.  Someone I know tried to tell me that it was the cure for food allergies so I should get DS treated with some.  I was surprised to see more recent articles on it and see it does look potentially promising in some ways.  But certainly not at the level of we know this is THE (or a) cure for FAs yet.

I guess I also don't like the ignoring of all the other FAs in the link.  And there are many things in it I know are not correct.  I could make a list but I already typed a response to my friend. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview