login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!  (Read 153613 times)

Description:

Offline Nel and Cam's Mom

Re: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »
Hello Everyone!  I'm new here, but have been dealing with the allergies for over a year.
Nelson 2- Peanut and Soy (soy replaced egg at 2 years old)
Camille 7 months -Peanut and egg

Offline bearbear

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
Hi I'm new here. I have a 15month old with multiple food allergies and need help with what to feed him. We are at a loss. He is allergic to: Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soy, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Rice, Bananas, Apples and Dog.
He eats Kix, Corn Chex, and some baby food and is on NeoCate JR for his millk source.
I'm glad to find this message board.
Thanks
Cindy

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »
Hi and welcome to our new members!  We're glad you found us!!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »
Lots of new folks lately...Welcome!

Offline femb0t

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »
Hi, everybody.  :bye: I'm new... obviously.

I'm almost 26 years old, and in the last 5-6 weeks have had episodes of anaphylaxis, anaphylactic shock, and just annoying food allergy reactions.

Unfortunately, this is what I guess to be considered adult on-set.  I've always had oral allergy syndrome (bananas, mango, avocado, melons, eggplant) but it was never anything so severe like this.

Currently, I am have reactions to (including what I have listed): wheat, peanuts (any kind of nut at this point), chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, marijuana (found this out after a "hey I want to try this" moment -- anaphylactic shock was the result).  I have a grass allergy, but all that does is make me itchy.  Everything else is 100% systemic.  Lucky me.

I saw an allergist last Monday, but he told me I cannot have a blood test to confirm anything until I am 4 weeks without a reaction... this is seemingly impossible because as much as I try and avoid the foods I know will trigger me, I keep finding out new things that I can no longer eat.  After that appointment... my 4 weeks now starts as of today.  I made it 3 days without anything happening to me, then last night I did something stupid (ate a cherry out of a friend's drink at the bar) and that caused anaphylaxis, and then today I only had a little reaction from a piece of cake (not a nut-free facility).  I'm trying to avoid everything, but in a case like today, I get fed up and just eat it anyway... and then pop a Benedryl to avoid anything major.  Or that's the hope, anyway.

That's me in a nutshell.   :)  I'm excited to have found you!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:34:03 PM by femb0t »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
Wow-- I'm sorry that you're going through such a rocky spot in figuring out successful avoidance.

I know that a lot of us have been where you are, though.  It does get better, but I will also say that until you DO know what you're actually allergic to, chances are pretty good that you're going to continue reacting to... well, to a lot of things that probably WON'T bother you once you get everything turned right side up again.   :heart:  That's the good news!

The bad news is the reality that you're living with right now-- food is the enemy, basically, and you probably have NO idea what is going to happen anytime you put something in your mouth, huh?  It's an awful feeling, isn't it??

A suggestion to get you through the next few weeks?

Consider ALL food but {basic staples that you've prepared yourself} to be off limits.  No matter what. 

FRESH, whole fruits (other than those you know you need to avoid), rice, potatoes, plain protein sources (chicken, pork, etc.).  Stay away from restaurant food, prepared foods of ANY kind, and pretty much anything that comes from a box or can.  I know that is really hard.  But feeling okay is completely worth it.  Trust me.  If you have developed an allergy to a common seed (like sesame or sunflower, both increasingly common allergies), food labels won't always tell you what you need to know to eat safely.  Think of your body's immune system and allergic response as being like a cup that can only hold so much before it overflows (and produces reactions).  As long as you keep having moderate-to-major reactions, you're basically pouring more stuff into a cup that needs to have time to evaporate and get empty... and then ANY little thing is going to be enough to push it into overflow mode.  That's why you might eventually find out that you are only really "allergic-allergic" to three or four foods-- but right now, you need to give your body time to calm down some and get that cup empty so that you and the doc can figure it out!   :yes:

A word about benadryl and food allergies.  BENADRYL WILL NOT STOP YOU FROM DYING OF ANAPHYLAXIS.  Seriously.  Sorry to alarm you-- but PLEASE check out the anaphylaxis grading chart on the main board, print a copy, and keep it with you as a reminder why you have to just say "no, thanks" to food you don't know pretty much everything about.  I'm very concerned for your safety.

I'm really glad you found us, too.  Hopefully life will get better-- and easier, too-- with time and once you and your doctor can figure out what is at the bottom of your new reactivity. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GigiHawk

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 08:51:07 AM »
Hi!
Self diagnosed gluten, dairy and egg food in-tolerances in January 2010, I've developed a whole new set of taste buds and a quest of healthier self. It's been a long road to this point of acceptance and starting to enjoy food again. I'm ready to venture into exploring hiking, climbing and backpacking. At the end of July '12, I'll be climbing Mt. Rainer.  In order to summit, I have to get into shape and lose some serious tires that have settled around my middle. Does anyone keep to a regular exercise program? I'd rather not join a gym so any programs/ideas would be great.

I'm a single parent of 1 teen and 3 young adults and work on the factory floor in logistics. Going back to school for business I don't want to be at the same job in 5 years, lol. I enjoy reading, the outdoors, a little sewing and coffee. Yes, coffee has its own category. c[_] Cooking for me is quite a challenge as my kids have none of these food issues. I can't tell you how many meals I've ruined for myself in the past. I'm ready to go beyond edible to delicious and portable.

Offline DiPG

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
Happy to be here!

Had allergies all my life...
3 years ago was diagnosed with Anaphylaxis to Sulfites, NSAIDS etc and Bee Stings
React to almost all Food Additives, Colours and preservatives...
Have experienced several Anaphylactic episodes that required a visit to the Emergency...
Carry Epi-Pen and am on several medications to keep me stable...

Looking forward to reading all the posts!
Take care!
  Di

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »
Hi!  :bye:

So sorry to hear of all your serious reactions, but I'm really glad you found us!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline AMommy2TwoBoys

• Mommy to 17 & 5 y/o boys - Kindergarten & Senior
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
Mom to a 17 y/o who's outgrown his asthma recently and suffers environmental allergies and a 5 y/o with a severe peanut allergy and many environmental allergies. I'm here because I was doing research on how to file a complaint about my son's school. He started Kindergarten this year and I don't feel they are doing enough to protect him from having an anaphylactic reaction in his classroom... after being assured they would do that and that an IHP/IEP would be better than a 504 Plan.
Kim

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
Welcome!

Sorry that you had to join us, but know that many of the Momma's here will have great advice for you!

Offline AMommy2TwoBoys

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2011, 03:30:03 AM »
Thank you very much.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »
Be sure to check our schools forum.  Lots of people here that can probably help you.  (I have 13 years between my second and third kids.   :))

Offline AMommy2TwoBoys

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2011, 03:11:07 AM »
Thank you, I will.

Offline jennifer

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
hi everyone,  :)

I am happy o find this wonderful group! I have both a husband and 15 year old son with severe food allergies.
My son has multiple food allergies including dairy, egg, cashew pistachio, hazelnut sesame, shellfish...
he recently anaphlaxed during a hospital challenge test to sesame. horribly scary and depressing.
my husband just has fish allergies but we never know which fish.
alwasy looking for tips and ways to make life easier.  :heart:

Jennifer  :)